There are 188 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Newton won an MVP and Kap came closer to a Super Bowl win than Jimmy did.

And we got beaten in 2019 by Wilson Jackson and Mahomes when we had a historic all world defense full of first round draft picks. The game is changing and we have to keep pace.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Happy Birthday, Trey - have a cold one, then it's back to the playbook.

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Yeah, and Andre Ware was considered the top prospect in his class. Akhli Smith was supposed to be a dynamic dual threat, Cam Newton was going to revolutionize how the QB position was played, and Colin Kaepernick was in a position to be the best to ever play the game. And then there's Jamarcus Russell, and Ryan Leaf, and Joey Harrington, and Tim Couch, and Vince Young, the list goes on and on and on, including perhaps even Carson Wentz who came out the same school and was supposed to be a prototype for the modern QB. His story isn't over yet but it has certainly taken a turn.

Not saying anything other than the pro game is different from the college game and what a kid does in college often doesn't mean anything when he gets to the NFL, which has destroyed more career's then it has made and is why I don't follow the college game. Like Wentz, Lance has played against a lower level of competition than a lot of those other guys. so we'll see how that works out. Honestly, I hope he does well and I'll be rooting for him to succeed, just not going to work myself up into a frenzy over it because I know that if he doesn't end up being all that is envisioned many of the same posters who are getting themselves all jacked up now will be ripping him a few years down the line for not living up to their expectations. Its a vicious cycle.

Newton won an MVP and Kap came closer to a Super Bowl win than Jimmy did.

And Wentz was having an MVP caliber season until tearing his ACL.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

It's crazy he's only 21 first player drafted born in the 2000s.
That's what you see? He's "fast" and that's it?

never mind running a pro offense that is right on par with Kyle's. Huddling up instead of reading cards from the side. Calling his own protections. Getting half calls at the LOS and being able to change the play presnap. Getting full read calls. Taking snaps from under center. Running picture perfect PA/boot calls. Being regarded as the smartest QB in this draft OH and yes his got a cannon and is big/fast.

I mean Wilson played a bunch of no name teams as well. I don't need to see Lance kick the s**t out of Montana state agin to know he's talented. IMO if he stayed another yr, he's the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. SF got him a yr earlier and he's already been working like a NFL QB since October.

FWIW I can name a lot of big school QBs who started for yrs that sucked too.

I've never even seen him play except for highlght reels. I just know guys can look great in college and be mediocre or suck in the pros. There are a hell of a lot more guys that are good college QBs than there are guys who are good NFL QBs.

Even the scouts, coaches and GMs whose full time job it is to hours of film and evaluate every nuance of a QB get it wrong more often than not. So I'm just saying I think he's more likely to be a disappointment than a success.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
That's what you see? He's "fast" and that's it?

never mind running a pro offense that is right on par with Kyle's. Huddling up instead of reading cards from the side. Calling his own protections. Getting half calls at the LOS and being able to change the play presnap. Getting full read calls. Taking snaps from under center. Running picture perfect PA/boot calls. Being regarded as the smartest QB in this draft OH and yes his got a cannon and is big/fast.

I mean Wilson played a bunch of no name teams as well. I don't need to see Lance kick the s**t out of Montana state agin to know he's talented. IMO if he stayed another yr, he's the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. SF got him a yr earlier and he's already been working like a NFL QB since October.

FWIW I can name a lot of big school QBs who started for yrs that sucked too.

I've never even seen him play except for highlght reels. I just know guys can look great in college and be mediocre or suck in the pros. There are a hell of a lot more guys that are good college QBs than there are guys who are good NFL QBs.

Even the scouts, coaches and GMs whose full time job it is to hours of film and evaluate every nuance of a QB get it wrong more often than not. So I'm just saying I think he's more likely to be a disappointment than a success.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
IF Jimmy is healthy, Trey won't start a single game this year. Book it

Couldn't disagree more. Doesn't matter how well Jimmy plays, Kyle is going to find was to get Trey in the game. I'm not saying he'll start, but I'm positive KS will have several packages for him.

Now that you can book.

your first sentence makes no sense after your third sentence. Aj said he's not gonna start a game and you disagree but then go on to say you dont thing he'll start?

so you actually kind of agree with him. lol.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:

So based on watching highlight film of him at 19, and going off the odds, you've concluded that will be a bust? Thats such a lazy take.

Hes got rare physical skills, rare mental ability, an obsessive drive to get better, and to win, and he's a leader. He has ALL the components to succeed in the NFL. His only risk would've been going to a dysfunctional organization, but he landed in one of the best possible situations.
Just considering Trey only needs to be 10% better than Jimmy and about 30% better than Nick and CJ to have an immediate positive impact on this team.
That's the floor and I'm very optimistic that is achieved with zero effort from the start.

Happy Birthday young man.

Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Trey doesn't have a quick throwing motion. It's one of the things that he admittedly worked on with his QB coach. It's improved, but it's by no means quick. It's still pretty damn long with the ball dipping below the numbers and taking a looping track to its release. Can it be further improved? Maybe but it's unlikely to go from this to, for example, Jimmy's blazing quick release. It's going to be interesting to see how it affects him with Kyle's quick stuff.

You've doctored this to slow it down. I'm on to you

Posts a clip in Slow Mo:
Release is SOOOO slow
At this point Trey is similar as Kinlaw. A very raw player with insane talent and upside who needs time to reach that potential. But because of the trades that led to their draft picks have unfair expectations as rookies.
Kinlaw was the result of the Buckner trade, so lots of stupid people expected him to play just like Buckner as a rookie.
Now Lance is the result of three first rounders and a third, and there's more stupid people expecting him to start immediately and produce an MVP season.
Let these kids grow and reach that potential and don't rush them with unfair expectations.
Not a Trey Lance but a 3rd pick question. Several news articles have said that it came down to Lance and Jones and Fields was never in consideration. Only thing I was able to glean from the articles was that Fields didn't process the information fast enough.

Anybody know any more info on why Fields didn't do it for Shanahan?
Originally posted by IceMan1763:
Posts a clip in Slow Mo:
Release is SOOOO slow

LoLoLoHAhaAloLl

No s**t it's in slow motion. It's to help easily identify the track of the ball. QB coaches don't evaluate mechanics in full speed.

I agree that his release was fine at the Pro Day. He looked much improved. I was just responding to the claim that it was quick, which it isn't. There were points in his tape where his delivery and release became painfully long with an exaggerated body squat mid-load and a high, above-his-head 12 o'clock arm slot. This isn't subjective. This is factual and agreed upon by his own QB coach. The positive news is that he's spent essentially a year refining his mechanics. Hopefully, those are deeply ingrained in his motor pathways by now and feel natural to him when the bullets start flying.
[ Edited by Heroism on May 9, 2021 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Sourball:
Not a Trey Lance but a 3rd pick question. Several news articles have said that it came down to Lance and Jones and Fields was never in consideration. Only thing I was able to glean from the articles was that Fields didn't process the information fast enough.

Anybody know any more info on why Fields didn't do it for Shanahan?

Nobody knows.

The 49ers don't leak stuff like that and KS isn't going to talk s**t about a player he didn't draft
Share 49ersWebzone