LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

New Miami Dolphins HC Mike McDaniel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
hence, Kyle is the OC

He's the playcaller. That has nothing to do with being OC or not being OC. Neither Andy Reid nor Sean Payton are OC's, they still call the entire offense while their offensive coordinators help with gameplanning, practice and film sessions...etc.
it has everything to do with it. This is Kyle's offense, not Mcdaniels. Mcdaniels is going to be doing what he already does and probably a little more. Our offense doesn't leave if mcdaniels leaves like it does for other teams.

it's just a title change and nothing more.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
should get a quarterback coach in here in my opinion. kyle does not coach up his quarterbacks well. ok. i think i can say that and not have to have..... well we will get jt or chip back in here...
Originally posted by cciowa:
should get a quarterback coach in here in my opinion. kyle does not coach up his quarterbacks well. ok. i think i can say that and not have to have..... well we will get jt or chip back in here...
Some have mentioned bringing scangarello back
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 15, 2021 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:

Get
Scangarello. Mullens looked a lot better with less talent in 2018.

As for this promotion, good move. Hopefully we have some other offensive assistants in the pipeline ready to fill the void (new passing game coordinator?).
  • thl408
McDaniels is Kyle's main eye in the sky since Kyle has to be down on the sidelines on game days. This is probably just a title and pay raise.
it has everything to do with it. This is Kyle's offense, not Mcdaniels. Mcdaniels is going to be doing what he already does and probably a little more. Our offense doesn't leave if mcdaniels leaves like it does for other teams.

That is pretty much what I said before you decided to argue just for argument's sake.

McDaniel already handled a lot of the traditional responsibilities of an OC for a playcalling head coach, this would just give him a gain in coaching stature and probably some more $$.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That is pretty much what I said before you decided to argue just for argument's sake.

McDaniel already handled a lot of the traditional responsibilities of an OC for a playcalling head coach, this would just give him a gain in coaching stature and probably some more $$.
you replied to my Kyle is the OC. how is that arguing ?

if Kyle gave up play calling, then i would consider Mcdaniels being trully an OC.
He can get the title of OC just as a symbolic job and a pay raise in order for order teams to not be able to poach him for anything less than HC job. The playcalling duties are not changing, he just got a promotion so other teams can't steal him.
[ Edited by richterkbelmont on Jan 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM ]
This is the real life version of Dwight getting the Assistant Regional Manager job. Just the title no real responsibilities.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
This is the real life version of Dwight getting the Assistant Regional Manager job. Just the title no real responsibilities.

I was just thinking the same s**t.

Fake title or not, this will only raise his value when the time comes.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
He can get the title of OC just as a symbolic job and a pay raise in order for order teams to not be able to poach him for anything less than HC job. The playcalling duties are not changing, he just got a promotion so other teams can't steal him.

Agree. As others have said, a symbolic title promotion, and most likely more money too. Kyle is still going to call plays.

What will be more interesting is who is going to replace Mike Lefleur? Will Kyle hire another talented understudy (hopefully a minority) to groom to be a HC for another team in the far future? Or will he leave the position vacant and just go with what he has right now?

RE:Scangarello, I think that ship has sailed. He's been an OC and I'm sure he'll land a job as an assistant coach somewhere in college or the NFL. I don't think he needs Kyle's help to get a job. Also, I'd like Kyle to really take advantage of that minority coaching to hire a talented minority that might be able to get him draft picks later on if said minority coach moves on to HC on another team. At least that's what I'd do if I was Kyle.
Saleh took the wrong guy. This guy's run design is brilliant and would've complemented Saleh's aggressive defense better than LaFleur.

Good news for us.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Good decision.
Share 49ersWebzone