LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Hope he hires a good, veteran LB's coach

Yeah, it will be interesting who Demeco picks as his linebacker coach.

Frank Bush literally coached him in Houston. And was on staff with Kyle then too. Makes too much sense.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Frank Bush literally coached him in Houston. And was on staff with Kyle then too. Makes too much sense.

He'd bring some good experience to the job for sure.
  • thl408
Can't wait to see what Ryans has in store for the defense. Neither Koceruk or Oden have DC experience so Ryan won't have any of that type of experience to lean on. I'm fine with more of the same when it comes to the scheme.
Originally posted by thl408:
Can't wait to see what Ryans has in store for the defense. Neither Koceruk or Oden have DC experience so Ryan won't have any of that type of experience to lean on. I'm fine with more of the same when it comes to the scheme.

See Frank Bush above. He has some DC experience and a LONG coaching history, especially with the Shanahan's. He worked for Mike in Denver for nearly a decade and then went to Houston under Kubiak and worked with Kyle and Saleh on the staff there and was DC while Ryans played there. He has nearly two decades worth of experience coaching LB's specifically.
Ryans would have to have had some influence and maybe called some plays while with us.. i'm guessing
Really excited to see what Ryans can do as the guy. His former teammates used to say he was like a coach on the field. JJ Watt shouted him out on Twitter last night. I think he will be a good one!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

See Frank Bush above. He has some DC experience and a LONG coaching history, especially with the Shanahan's. He worked for Mike in Denver for nearly a decade and then went to Houston under Kubiak and worked with Kyle and Saleh on the staff there and was DC while Ryans played there. He has nearly two decades worth of experience coaching LB's specifically.

I see Frank Bush as an employee for the Jets. Is he a 49er soon?
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Ryans would have to have had some influence and maybe called some plays while with us.. i'm guessing

Playcalling is one thing but I think the biggest challenge for a new DC is deciding on the gameplan after scouting work. The 49ers have become a defense that changes their gameplan based on the opponent. They are no longer a, "we do this particular thing every week, try to beat us" type of defense.

Ryans now has the final word and that's a big decision every week.
I see Frank Bush as an employee for the Jets. Is he a 49er soon?

The previous Jets staff were all given the thumbs up to look for other opportunities so he's basically a free agent at this point.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Happy for him. Happier it'll most likely be the same system and position coaches. Good luck to Saleh.

Kocurek is under contract and he shouldn't be able to make a lateral move, if I understand right? We should be able to keep him I'd think.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Happy for him. Happier it'll most likely be the same system and position coaches. Good luck to Saleh.

Kocurek is under contract and he shouldn't be able to make a lateral move, if I understand right? We should be able to keep him I'd think.

what would be considered a promotion so he doesnt make the lateral move? from DL to DC? i doubt he be DC..
Originally posted by kazak13:
what would be considered a promotion so he doesnt make the lateral move? from DL to DC? i doubt he be DC..

DC or HC. That is it.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

when you're getting free 3rd-round picks and positioned to get 2 more in a few years

Haha gotta love the Giphy choices.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Luke Kuechly was one of the smartest LBs of the modern era, he said he was open to the idea of coaching or serving in an advisory role when he retired. He's currently a pro scout for the Panthers. Maybe KS should hire him to replace Ryans as a LB coach, another young up and coming coach for KS's coaching tree.

Kuechly showed frustration going against KS's offense the year before he retired. If he's serious about being a coach, he should start by learning the system that's trending the league and confused the heck outta him. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." He was also loved and respected by his teammates which is already a good start.

Would be interested in this. I am definitely wondering who do they have in mind for LB coach and your reasoning is pretty sound. Kyle, in being frustrated with the Seattle style of defense, hired Saleh for this reason partially.
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
Originally posted by fryet:
I am nervous about elite players becoming coaches. Let's hope he does a better job than Mike Singletary.

I'm thinking Singletary was too old style to be a coach. I wasn't in the locker room but if I had a guess, he really couldn't connect with the players on their level.

Demeco isn't too far removed from playing, so he can probably relate more to the game these guys are playing nowadays.

Just my hot take. No facts to back that up.

I think Singletary just had terrible ideas on how to run a football team. It was pure 1980s, we are tougher than you, football. Too much Mike Ditka, not enough Bill Walsh.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Ryans knows the system and is popular with the players. That's 2 big check marks in his favor. Let's see if he adds any wrinkles of his own.

This is what I'm most curious about.

I am curious to see what he does differently.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

He'd bring some good experience to the job for sure.

I hope Frank is available to be brought in by Demeco. Also, if I was Kyle, I'd look at some top talented College Defensive coordinators (if available) that can step into a Defensive coordinator position perhaps a couple of years down the line too, after some NFL experience. Demeco can teach said College DC how to coach the LB position, even if said College DC doesn't have much linebacker experience. The advantage is that as a prior college DC, he would have a good overall background and experience on how the whole defense is put together - from player development, scheme, strategy and playcalling that may be more advantageous than just simply hiring another linebacker position coach that doesn't have that kind of overall knowledge.
Share 49ersWebzone