LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
If you like a more aggressive defense be prepared for teams to hit a ton of explosives on our D. Saleh hated explosives so much that he was super conservative.

Facts.

Or quite possibly the timed blitzes get there on time and the back end holds up
Coming into this season, this is the only coaching switch I'm kinda worried about
Originally posted by Joecool:
I haven't been a fan of complicated blitzing schemes. That usually screams that the defense isn't talented enough and can get caught for big plays.

NE/SEA defensive method has stood strong for a very long time and that is to keep the ball in front and tackle down hill. This is why SEA loves talent at SS to use for the everywhere position.

Dick LeBeau had the opposite approach and it worked. Given good players and good playcalling, any scheme can work. We are talented enough to where we don't have to live and die by it, but mixing it up more would be a tremendous help.
If you like a more aggressive defense be prepared for teams to hit a ton of explosives on our D. Saleh hated explosives so much that he was super conservative.

Facts.

Could happen. But given the talent and most of these guys have played together for some years, I'd expect more booms than bust plays. More turnovers, more getting the ball in opponent territory, etc. Its not like he's blitzing with the 2016 49ers defense.

Well DC has to find the perfect balance given his trust level of the guys he's got. We'll just have to wait and see what that balance is.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 28, 2021 at 6:47 PM ]
He has all the tools needed to be a great DC. Looking forward to his success
He's been here a couple yrs and has seen what kyle wants. Saleh was more cautious, and kyle even kidded him about that. I think we all would have liked to have seen a more aggressive passrush (CB blitzes, eg) but overall, disguise the blitz pak a bit better and also, move it around. We find someone we can beat, them beat him to a pulp. Mostly tho, more thotful blitzing and in games where OL negates the blitz, fine…don't use it. But sprinkle it in and not just on 3rd down. After a few series , esp if opponent is passing or 1st or 2nd down, run some blitzes there. Bob liked blitzing on 3rd down. I think we will actually have a better called D this yr…at least that is my hope.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Could happen. But given the talent and most of these guys have played together for some years, I'd expect more booms than bust plays. More turnovers, more getting the ball in opponent territory, etc. Its not like he's blitzing with the 2016 49ers defense.

Jim O'Neil intensifies
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Coming into this season, this is the only coaching switch I'm kinda worried about

I would not say worried. I am more intrigued than anything else. At the end of the day it is the talent that will make or break any scheme. And this D is LOADED. If the key pieces can stay healthy this defense will be great, regardless of who is creating the game plan.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Facts.

Or quite possibly the timed blitzes get there on time and the back end holds up

No one notices the 200 nails you put in perfectly. They only talk about the one you dropped that went into their foot.
More often than not I think the D holds but be prepared for some to blame him when a big play does eventually get through even if they're better overall as a result. It's the nature of fans.
[ Edited by RedGoldSquatch on Jul 31, 2021 at 9:32 AM ]

• thl408
"Whatever we need to do defensively to win a game, that'll go with our weekly defensive scheme. Whatever we need to do. JV is very capable of doing that. That's the type of skillset he has to go match the number one receiver every week. Are we going to do that every week? No, our game plan will vary and we'll do whatever we need to do that particular week to get the win."

Love hearing this - a defense that adjusts weekly to the opponent. Sure all teams do this to a degree, but some will come with a completely new game plan week to week. Saleh began to do this after being a "Seattle Cover 3" the first two years. DeMeco's comments above imply that the 49ers will continue to build upon that method of gameplanning. Sounds great in theory, and I believe it's the most effective way of defending the opponent, as long as he comes with the optimal game plan.
Has all the weapons and tools to succeed as a DC, hope he balls out for the 49ers and his career.
Originally posted by thl408:
"Whatever we need to do defensively to win a game, that'll go with our weekly defensive scheme. Whatever we need to do. JV is very capable of doing that. That's the type of skillset he has to go match the number one receiver every week. Are we going to do that every week? No, our game plan will vary and we'll do whatever we need to do that particular week to get the win."

Love hearing this - a defense that adjusts weekly to the opponent. Sure all teams do this to a degree, but some will come with a completely new game plan week to week. Saleh began to do this after being a "Seattle Cover 3" the first two years. DeMeco's comments above imply that the 49ers will continue to build upon that method of gameplanning. Sounds great in theory, and I believe it's the most effective way of defending the opponent, as long as he comes with the optimal game plan.

This is why I don't think we brought Sherman back. Last year in game 1 when Hopkins was cooking Moseley there was no adjustment to be made b/c Sherman only plays one side of the field. Now we can make an in game adjustment and tell JV to travel with Hopkins. and we seen how much better JV did in our 2nd game vs Arizona
I trust Kyle and John that they wouldn't pick just anyone to lead their defense
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
It's a given there'll be some growing pains which is unavoidable but just listening to him talk in interviews you can tell he knows what the hell he's doing.
Share 49ersWebzone