LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not liking this Cover 2 talk that it seems like we will be running. Still have nightmares from Brett Favre destroying our Cover 2 with his TEs back in the late 90's.

What Cover2 talk? Did Ryans say something? I haven't heard Ryans say anything about scheme all offseason.

They were talking about it on KNBR or one of the local podcasts or whatever about using more C2 looks and that they didn't run C3 as much as we think. That's just what was said but I can't confirm if that's what they actually did on the field.

Oh yeah. That's been happening since 2019. That's when Saleh started using more split safety shells when compared to 2017/2018. We've talked about this all throughout 2019, KNBR is just late to the discussion.

In 2020, the 49ers became game plan specific. Some games they used more single high safety coverages and some games they used more split safety coverages.
I'm hoping we go back to field/boundary CB alignments again this year. Makes having a CB like Verrett so much more beneficial.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
What I anticipated.

It's definitely a sign. The 49ers added James Bettcher whose defenses (ARI) ranked top 10 in blitz rate when he was a DC. Demeco Ryans is running the show, but you don't bring in Bettcher unless you are open to increasing blitz percentage.
-----
"Lives and dies by the blitz," said one personnel executive familiar with Bettcher's defenses. "You need to have good personnel, especially in the back end."
https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/61910/former-new-york-giants-d-coordinator-james-bettcher-hungry-for-next-chance
------
We don't know all the tweaks Ryans has in store. It may still be zone dominant, just with more elements of man and/or blitzes compared to 2020.

I just like the fact that the nickel defense looks a lot stronger than it was in 2019. It was 3rd and 15 that killed this teams Lombardi hopes. You can blitz or zone from the nickel if the team is ahead in the 4th QTR, and demeco doesn't have to worry too much with the run games. Also the 4 minute offense looks a lot stronger this year with the two big backs added in the draft.
I'm not liking this Cover 2 talk that it seems like we will be running. Still have nightmares from Brett Favre destroying our Cover 2 with his TEs back in the late 90's.

What Cover2 talk? Did Ryans say something? I haven't heard Ryans say anything about scheme all offseason.

This is the Webzone, we just speak things into existence.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I just like the fact that the nickel defense looks a lot stronger than it was in 2019. It was 3rd and 15 that killed this teams Lombardi hopes. You can blitz or zone from the nickel if the team is ahead in the 4th QTR, and demeco doesn't have to worry too much with the run games. Also the 4 minute offense looks a lot stronger this year with the two big backs added in the draft.

The nickel defense's success is ultimately going to hinge on our pass rush. The 2019 group was elite. This group isn't as strong with Dee Ford only being older and more injured, AA being AA and Bosa the god coming off a big injury, but I think the biggest x-factor will be Kinlaw's growth. Last season, Kinlaw showed he isn't in the same universe as Defo as a pass rusher. Does he take a big step this year? We'll see. But it's going to have to be a massive step for him to go from who he was last season to a player that has an impact remotely similar to Defo's.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:

The nickel defense's success is ultimately going to hinge on our pass rush. The 2019 group was elite. This group isn't as strong with Dee Ford only being older and more injured, AA being AA and Bosa the god coming off a big injury, but I think the biggest x-factor will be Kinlaw's growth. Last season, Kinlaw showed he isn't in the same universe as Defo as a pass rusher. Does he take a big step this year? We'll see. But it's going to have to be a massive step for him to go from who he was last season to a player that has an impact remotely similar to Defo's.

Perhaps Hurst can give a boost at the DT position as he replaces DJJ/Givens in pass rushing situations. If Kinlaw doesn't improve as a pass rusher, there are other options (Kerr) that would allow Kinlaw to sit out some of the pass rushing downs. That'd be a bad sign, but at least there are some options.

Perhaps Hurst can give a boost at the DT position as he replaces DJJ/Givens in pass rushing situations. If Kinlaw doesn't improve as a pass rusher, there are other options (Kerr) that would allow Kinlaw to sit out some of the pass rushing downs. That'd be a bad sign, but at least there are some options.

True.

Yeah, hopefully. I think Hurst was a damn good addition. As a pure penetrator, Hurst is the best 3technique on the roster right now. I remember loving this dude at Michigan. His combo of snap anticipation coupled with get off was elite in college, and I think allowing him to pin his ears back in one gap is going to be big for him here in SF.

Thanks, Gruden.

Yeah, hopefully. I think Hurst was a damn good addition. As a pure penetrator, Hurst is the best 3technique on the roster right now. I remember loving this dude at Michigan. His combo of snap anticipation coupled with get off was elite in college, and I think allowing him to pin his ears back in one gap is going to be big for him here in SF.

Thanks, Gruden.

Yep, thanks Gruden. All the talk about demeco, and i agree, it will take some time, but as Giedi noted, he has former DCs around him. He'll learn quickly. Also, as much as i admired and truly liked the man, Saleh, i never felt really comfortable with him as DC. He was a whiz bang as LB coach, but it seemed his blitzes and DBs were always a little out of his comfort zone. Yes he did blitz more last yr than ever before, but i love the idea of promoting from within, where Demeco knows what kyle wants and will get it done. Overall, i am glad for the change, but i wish Saleh good luck in NY. I feel better now with Demeco at the reigns, altho he will start slow and then crank it up .

I never really felt comfortable with Saleh calling the D, but now, with an in house promotion, i feel better about D altho Demeco does have to get some in game education first. Overall, i believe we come out better on D. Of course Demeco can't tackle nor can he blitz, but hopefully he gets his guys whipped into shape early on. Maybe it's a comfort blanket thing, but i think this D is going to be better DCed than last 3 yrs.

That means Nick has to be healthy, and the same for the rest of the DL, LBs and esp DBs. If we can stay healthy then our D is going to be just fine. But somewhere in there, maybe 4 or 5 games in, i have a gut feel D will be better coached.
Can we make this Official?

Anyone that was expecting him to be remotely similar to Buckner in year one is out of their minds. Especially with the offeason being wiped out last year. Under those circumstances even Buckner would have likely struggled his rookie year.
[ Edited by SFrush on May 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM ]
  • thl408

Done. I think this will be a hot thread this season as Ryans tries to make a name for himself. I'm very interested in learning about his scheme, whether he continues what Saleh started or deviates in any way.

Done. I think this will be a hot thread this season as Ryans tries to make a name for himself. I'm very interested in learning about his scheme, whether he continues what Saleh started or deviates in any way.

Thanks man...that list of QB's we're playing is definitely going to keep this thread rolling. I can't wait. I think I have an idea but who knows. I look forward to your takes and breakdowns!
Last yr was the limited OTAa, limited practice, limited PS, limited everything needed to get players in shape for the real season. My prediction was injuries and that is what happened....and not just here but league wide also. Bucs got hurt midseason, but recovered. We got hurt early, mid, and late season. Wipeout...the most injuries and AGL in league hx.

New year, that last piece of krapt is just a memory, and things have to be better this time around. Drafting, FAing, trades, all (well mostly all) were based on 1) talent and 2) health. For the first time both KS/JL didn't acquire players with injury hx. That PLUS the longer preseason to learn in camp, workout, get in better shape has to make the difference for us this yr. When Nicky B went down, we were in bad shape. When JG went down, it was pretty well over. This yr aside from Dee, we will be in way better shape and even Hurd may play. So a 12-13 W season is there for the taking but it will depend on one thing....health. It may not be fixed, but our guys are now factoring that into picks, trades, etc, so expect last yr to be an anomaly.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 9, 2021 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Last yr was the limited OTAa, limited practice, limited PS, limited everything needed to get players in shape for the real season. My prediction was injuries and that is what happened....and not just here but league wide also. Bucs got hurt midseason, but recovered. We got hurt early, mid, and late season. Wipeout...the most injuries and AGL in league hx.

New year, that last piece of krapt is just a memory, and things have to be better this time around. Drafting, FAing, trades, all (well mostly all) were based on 1) talent and 2) health. For the first time both KS/JL didn't acquire players with injury hx. That PLUS the longer preseason to learn in camp, workout, get in better shape has to make the difference for us this yr. When Nicky B went down, we were in bad shape. When JG went down, it was pretty well over. This yr aside from Dee, we will be in way better shape and even Hurd may play. So a 12-13 W season is there for the taking but it will depend on one thing....health. It may not be fixed, but our guys are now factoring that into picks, trades, etc, so expect last yr to be an anomaly.

Good post
Share 49ersWebzone