LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
hopefully it goes like this, Demeco stays another year after this year, while Vic officially comes into 49ers role, then takes over after demeco leaves after his 3rd year with us and us going back to back lombardis

I love fangio but I can't forgive him for the massive s**t the defense took in the superbowl. Who the f**k allows Joe Flacco to do that?

THIS x 1M!

He was piss poor at rotating his starters and it showed by the end of the season.

THE problem with him is that he did not like to use ROOKIES .. did not trust them.. I remember reading about it and how he, Jim and Baalke would never be on the same page w/that one..

I remember that.
  • thl408
Success Rate for the opposing offense (the lower the %, the better for the defense). 2021 49ers defense were damn good when this context of "success" for the offense is taken into account.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/nfl-stats/defense/efficiency/run-pass-success-rate-team-rankings-2021/
A play is considered successful when it gains at least 40% of yards-to-go on 1st down, 60% of yards-to-go on 2nd down and 100% of yards-to-go on 3rd or 4th down.

Kinda arbitrary on how they come up what they deem a "successful play" but good stat for the defense none the less. Seems like the games they struggled in they just gave up too may easy yards on 1st downs leaving the offsense with 3rd and shorts. Improved CB play should make this defense pretty dam stingy
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Kinda arbitrary on how they come up what they deem a "successful play" but good stat for the defense none the less. Seems like the games they struggled in they just gave up too may easy yards on 1st downs leaving the offsense with 3rd and shorts. Improved CB play should make this defense pretty dam stingy

Definitely a subjective definition. I think it's an adequate way to categorize an offensive play as "successful". It gives context that is much more meaningful than simply looking at raw yardage. If the offense gets a 12 yard pass we usually think that's a good play for the offense, until we realize it was 3rd & 14, and now that's a unsuccessful play for the offense (good play for the defense).

What I wonder is if they factor in defensive penalties. How many defensive PI calls did the 49ers give up in the tough stretch midseason 2021? Those may not even count as plays in this chart, but they should.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Definitely a subjective definition. I think it's an adequate way to categorize an offensive play as "successful". It gives context that is much more meaningful than simply looking at raw yardage. If the offense gets a 12 yard pass we usually think that's a good play for the offense, until we realize it was 3rd & 14, and now that's a unsuccessful play for the offense (good play for the defense).

What I wonder is if they factor in defensive penalties. How many defensive PI calls did the 49ers give up in the tough stretch midseason 2021? Those may not even count as plays in this chart, but they should.

Agreed.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I love fangio but I can't forgive him for the massive s**t the defense took in the superbowl. Who the f**k allows Joe Flacco to do that?

The Broncos, Patriots and the 49ers.....

Yeah. I want no part of Fangio after what happened In the super bowl.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

To be fair, joe flacco was on God mode during the playoffs. I had no idea where that came from. He f**kED UP bill belecheat and the Patriots. And some would say that belecheat is the greatest defensive mind ever. If you torched that defense, then you're doing something right.

Plus the broncos were highly rated on defense that year too, iirc.

The 49ers were not prepared, both on offense and defense. The Ravens wanted it more. You saw that look in their eyes. I felt like the 49ers were happy to be there.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Jun 29, 2022 at 10:48 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, well if Demeco leaves and gets us two future third round compensatory picks, Fangio may be the best of the bunch available to be hired. Specially if ShanaLynch gets to the playoffs again in 2022, color Demco as good as gone.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Yeah, well if Demeco leaves and gets us two future third round compensatory picks, Fangio may be the best of the bunch available to be hired. Specially if ShanaLynch gets to the playoffs again in 2022, color Demco as good as gone.

Never know Saleh may get fired and need a job
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Giedi:

I got him being fired after the 2024 season and replaced by DR. Then Saleh can replace DR Win Win

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

He should offer us a pick for JG if he wants a job in this town again

To be fair, joe flacco was on God mode during the playoffs. I had no idea where that came from. He f**kED UP bill belecheat and the Patriots. And some would say that belecheat is the greatest defensive mind ever. If you torched that defense, then you're doing something right.

The 49ers were not prepared, both on offense and defense. The Ravens wanted it more. You saw that look in their eyes. I felt like the 49ers were happy to be there.
Hard to not be focused when you have HOFs like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis knowing it was their last chance at SB. Niners on the other hand thought it was just the beginning.

IIRC weren't some of the players out clubbing the night before.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Hard to not be focused when you have HOFs like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis knowing it was their last chance at SB. Niners on the other hand thought it was just the beginning.

IIRC weren't some of the players out clubbing the night before.

Yep. Gore, Vernon and Willis I believe.
The Niners D looks loaded.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The Niners D looks loaded.

Yessir. Locked, loaded and ready for action. We may see some shutouts.
Share 49ersWebzone