LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

What should the 49ers do with Jimmy G?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What should the 49ers do with Jimmy G?

Originally posted by miked1978:
Be careful what you wish for. Drafting a QB is a crapshoot and doesn't necessarily mean we will get better. In fact, statistically speaking we would probably end up worse. If you look back at the last 10 years of the draft 33 Qbs have been taken in the first round:

Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston , Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love

How many of those QBs are better than Jimmy? I'm putting 10 on my list and that's being generous IMO. Statistically speaking you only have a 30% chance to draft a QB better than Jimmy G. 70% chance to draft one worse or about the same.

Newton – in his prime
Luck
Goff – up and down, last year I bet you wouldn't have said he was better
Wentz – Has been struggling as of late but I will list him here anyway
Mahomes
Watson
Allen – he's slowly developing into a good QB. Maybe too early
Jackson – hard to say about Lamar. Right now I would say No but he hasn't got any weapons to work with. Might even have the same career trajectory of Kaep but I will leave him here for now
Burrow – way too early but he looks like the real deal
Herbert – way too early but he looks like the real deal

QBs I think are on par with Jimmy:

Bradford – He had some good years but was never healthy
Tannehill – took him 7 years to get to this point. Imagine waiting 7 years for Jimmy. We cant even make it 3
Mayfield – sometimes he's good and sometimes he blows. About like Jimmy I guess
Murray – still too early but I don't think he's good as a passer. What makes him good is running just like Lamar

So if you add those to the 10 above you are looking at around 42% of the time you will draft someone the same or better than Jimmy. 58% of the time you will draft someone worse. Not good odds at all.

I'm not advocating keeping Jimmy or not, I'm just pointing out the odds of getting someone better isn't good. If it was up to me I'd keep Jimmy next year and draft a QB and let them battle it out in camp. If the rookie doesn't win let him sit for a year. We have a talented enough team when healthy to win and to win now. I just wouldn't gamble with a rookie QB and throw it all away.

They should have drafted a FQB to build around.
It is a tough sell to start over at this point with the the great players starting to leave.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Serious question....

Would you rather keep Jimmy or extend the best LT in football and draft a rookie QB?
tough, Keep the LT.... But not keeping JG could make the best LT look for a team with a QB
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Serious question....

Would you rather keep Jimmy or extend the best LT in football and draft a rookie QB?
tough, Keep the LT.... But not keeping JG could make the best LT look for a team with a QB

I guess it depends on what Trent thinks of Kyle and what he thinks of Jimmy? He has to know all theses injuries hurt us this season and yet we are still competitive.

I really believe we don't need a great QB, just an efficient one. Any of the top prospects should work.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Serious question....

I guess it depends on what Trent thinks of Kyle and what he thinks of Jimmy? He has to know all theses injuries hurt us this season and yet we are still competitive.

I really believe we don't need a great QB, just an efficient one. Any of the top prospects should work.
He's tired of losing and probably doesn't want to depend on a Rookie to get to SB.

Hopefully he loves Kyle enough to stay
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Well Kyle has had the last word and said JG is starting next season.
Originally posted by Goatie:

He also said Jimmy has 'many' wins this season.

He said he expects Jimmy to be his starting QB. Funny thing about expectations is they can be off.
re-structure, making the reason being about the 'team', save some money to use on other key pieces

draft a QB

(hopefully) re-work some of the o-line

have jimmy start while we groom a rookie.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
re-structure, making the reason being about the 'team', save some money to use on other key pieces

draft a QB

(hopefully) re-work some of the o-line

have jimmy start while we groom a rookie.

That's just it, he MUST resturcture because he isn't worth 26mil. Sign him to a two year extension and draft the best available CB/OT/DE day 1 and then take a QB Round 2/3 to push him seems like a logical move. Probably wont happen though.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

He said he expects Jimmy to be his starting QB. Funny thing about expectations is they can be off.

What do you think he's going to say? He's not going to say he's gone until he at least sees what is available in the draft. I wouldn't mind another year with JG if it wasn't for the horrible cap situation the 49ers are in. They may be forced to cut him lose unless he'll take a big pay cut. It's really on Jimmy. Does he think he's good enough to go to another team and learn a new system. What other team is going to pay big money for a QB that's hurt as much as he is. His best option might be to take a cut, stay with Kyle and see how it goes next year.

Share 49ersWebzone