LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Time to liquidate Assets?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for 5thSFG.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Why are people trying to offload Trent Williams so easily? If we move on from Jimmy in the off-season and we get a rookie QB, wouldn't we want a competent LT covering his blindside. Assuming of course we resign Trent.

People seem to love creating needs for no reason whatsoever.

Trent Williams has been playing awesome since he had those few bad reps vs MIA/PHI. He's back to an elite level. I hope the 49ers can find a way to keep him because we don't want to go into the offseason with a need at arguably the second most important position on the field.

Let's trade Trent Williams and Jason Verrett and with those picks we will need to find a CB and a LT. It makes sense

Its not your money, sign Trenty Williams and Verett to long term deals. We want to build, not be a perpetual 7-9 team.

some are ok always being 7-9,,no expectations that way.

I bet I wouldn't have to dig too far back to see you guys s**tting all over the Verrett signing. And now you want to sign him long term 🤦‍♂️

Your criticism of him then hasn't gone away... the injury history is still there. Why should any of us post a counterpoint when you are doing a good job of arguing with yourself 🤣🤣
Can't liquidate assets if you don't have any.

Half the roster are Free Agents next year.

Start with focusing on keeping one player from each position that is elite or someone to build around.

Then see how much you have left to fill in the other positions

By all set, I mean there are players that are guys to build around that are signed for next year.

OL--T. Williams-needs signed
QB--Jimmy--all set(I know this isn't popular with some but there isn't another option here as of now)
WR--Deebo/Aiyuk--all set
TE--Kittle-all set
RB--Mostert-all set

DL--Bosa/Armstead--all set(again not popular on Armstead but he's locked in)
LB--Warner/Greenlaw--all set
DB--no one signed that's a build around guy at the moment- keeping Verret and Sherman for next year is intriguing.
S--no one signed that's a build around guy at the moment-Not really sure who is signed at Safety already for next year but we don't have a name that's a build around guy.

ST--all set

Looks like there's a core there. No way the team is liquidating those assets. That's 10 guys to build around. A lot of that build is there already. Just need healthy players and some signings that don't break the bank outside these core players.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree with 9ers4u - just add to our core players by getting some injured players back and then supplementing with the draft. I'm all for keeping Jimmy at a reduced price so we can sign some of our FAs. Come back healthy next year and we'll be on the revenge tour again.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I bet I wouldn't have to dig too far back to see you guys s**tting all over the Verrett signing. And now you want to sign him long term 🤦‍♂️

Your criticism of him then hasn't gone away... the injury history is still there. Why should any of us post a counterpoint when you are doing a good job of arguing with yourself 🤣🤣
Originally posted by 9ers4u:

Start with focusing on keeping one player from each position that is elite or someone to build around.

By all set, I mean there are players that are guys to build around that are signed for next year.

QB--Jimmy--all set(I know this isn't popular with some but there isn't another option here as of now)
WR--Deebo/Aiyuk--all set
TE--Kittle-all set
RB--Mostert-all set

DB--no one signed that's a build around guy at the moment- keeping Verret and Sherman for next year is intriguing.
S--no one signed that's a build around guy at the moment-Not really sure who is signed at Safety already for next year but we don't have a name that's a build around guy.

ST--all set

Looks like there's a core there. No way the team is liquidating those assets. That's 10 guys to build around. A lot of that build is there already. Just need healthy players and some signings that don't break the bank outside these core players.
Sometimes bold moves are needed. A lot of us were laughing at the Rams a couple of years ago when they were signing high priced free agents and trading away their 1st round picks. They haven't had a 1st rounder in 4 years. Many of us felt they would be screwed for years.

Well they made a lot of changes over the last couple seasons and let some high priced players go. They kept 3 high priced players to build around. Goff, Ramsey and Donald. Then they either got lucky or drafted smartly and built their team back into a contender. The Niners may be forced to do something similar since they have so many free agents and under achievers.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Don't liquidate, appreciate.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Why are people trying to offload Trent Williams so easily? If we move on from Jimmy in the off-season and we get a rookie QB, wouldn't we want a competent LT covering his blindside. Assuming of course we resign Trent.

People seem to love creating needs for no reason whatsoever.

Trent Williams has been playing awesome since he had those few bad reps vs MIA/PHI. He's back to an elite level. I hope the 49ers can find a way to keep him because we don't want to go into the offseason with a need at arguably the second most important position on the field.

Let's trade Trent Williams and Jason Verrett and with those picks we will need to find a CB and a LT. It makes sense

Its not your money, sign Trenty Williams and Verett to long term deals. We want to build, not be a perpetual 7-9 team.

some are ok always being 7-9,,no expectations that way.

Go ahead and dig away ive been nothing but on the Jason Verrett train since back in his TCU days. I was even defending him after last years train wreck of an appearance.
Originally posted by 9ers4u:

WR--Deebo/Aiyuk--all set
TE--Kittle-all set
RB--Mostert-all set

ST--all set

I really don't think it's time to liquidate assets. Firstly, most of our "assets" are going to be free agents in 2021. This season was the most frustrating season (at least for me) I've ever seen. A healthy 49ers team is at the very least is battling for a #1 seed. The amount injuries were just unbelievable, and made this season a wasted and impossible season. No team can be successful with THAT much of an injury assault to so many of it's key starting cast, and key rotational pieces. I still cannot believe the amount of injuries this team as had to endure. The football gods HAD to intervene in this season and just take virtually the whole starting lineup away to keep this team from winning, because a healthy 49ers team wasn't loosing this season. All of our core guys are firmly in place, minus T. Williams:

- Jimmy G.
- Deebo
- Aiyuk
- Kittle
- Bosa
- Warner
- Armstead
- Greenlaw
- Molstert

When all of those guys are on the field at the same time this is no question a SB caliber team, and everyone knows it. Plus, T. Williams, Juszczyk, K'Waun, and Verrett are top re-signing priorities (and to a lessor degree Reed, Blair, and maybe Thomas). With those core guys and those resigning's healthy for 2021 it's hard for me to see this team NOT in the SB. So there's no need to liquidate at all.

I will say that I do think we need to bring in a FA QB to compete with Jimmy G. for the starting job, and I think we should draft a QB with our top pick and redshirt him for a season. I know we have a bunch of bodies poised for free agency, but honestly I really just don't see many (if not most) of them not giving the 49ers a "hometown discount" for many of the reasons I stated. A healthy 49ers is SB-bound. I would think that many (not all) of them would give a discount for that.

Plus, I know we're still mathematically in the PO mix but I'm for tanking the rest of the season for draft positioning. I say put any remaining core player (like Warner) in IR and embrace the tank. It's clear the football gods are hell-bent on this team loosing this season. No need to risk any more of our core guys when the football gods are pissed with us. We should give them what they want and take full advantage of their hate for us and get a top QB prospect in the process.

I will say this: IMHO Robert Saleh has shown his true worth this season and I think the FO should back the brinks truck up to his house to keep him from taking a HC job.
Go ahead and dig away ive been nothing but on the Jason Verrett train since back in his TCU days. I was even defending him after last years train wreck of an appearance.

I have to admit that I was totally wrong about Verrett, and wasn't really that happy when we signed him. Now, I cannot imagine we don't sign him to a deal. He's totally proven me wrong. Like T. Williams, Verret has to be a top priority to get signed.

Share 49ersWebzone