LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2020 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Nice video, but I think your letting jimmy g off the hook in this video.

appreciate the effort as always though.

My point wasn't to let jimmy off the hook, just showing what I see, which is the team as a whole played poorly. I didnt see a good game out of anyone. Everyone had a hand in the poor execution.
This is so good.

You cover everything from defensive players breakdowns that lead to critical points, mental breakdowns on offense from the QB to WR, QB mechanics, physical breakdowns on "unit pass protection" to Kyle's underneath game plan to Vance Joseph calling an excellent game plan and making pre snap adjustments to Saleh and the lack of discipline and untimely breakdowns and risky untimely play calling.

Very honest, objective and comprehensive. One of your best, JD. TY.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 18, 2020 at 6:07 AM ]
I don't want to hear that the team was rusty or got winded. No team had pre season games or full training camps so they are all in the same boat. They got outplayed in the second half and it was a close game. A couple of things like the blocked punt and the defensive holding penalties on that long drive changed the game.
Jonny, you are a Niners National treasure. Thanks.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
Originally posted by John_Candy:
Good stuff JD. Really highlights why divisional games are usually tough even when there's a gap in talent. Az was guessing right on D due to familiarity. I imagine Shanny is upset with himself this week.

Exactly. Shanny has to know ARI is tracking him and they aren't chumps. Todd Bowles is a good Def coordinator. I always thought of divisional games are the prime time for R & D plays because of the familiarity aspect you are speaking of. They scouted and executed well. They "guessed right" because their guesses were properly informed. I would expect Shanny to have something cooked up next time. We can see the rust, the defense got winded (we should not have been surprised by their up tempo), and the coaches didn't call a good game. Also, we pretty much lost Kittle in the 2nd half, and I think ARI knew that.

Bowles is a good DC but he coaches with Tampa now, not AZ.
yASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Thank you. I really appreciate your time and effort. Go Niners!!
  • thl408
Great breakdown as always jd.
I'm really glad you broke down and touched on the following plays because it tells a good story: the trap coverage on the incompletion to Taylor (3rd & 5).
The 49ers went back to the play on the final 4th down (incomplete to Taylor). On that play, they had BOurne do the protection release then raise his hands up as if he was open, just to prevent the CB from squatting on Taylor's quick Out. I think with the 49ers loving to throw to the middle of the field, they wanted to change it up and throw it outside. Too bad the throw was a bit late/behind on the 4th down.

The various DB blitzes from Saleh. Ward and KWilliams blitzed on numerous downs. Not sure if I saw a LB blitzing. This is so that if the blitzer got through (Ward or KWilliams) they won't get their ankles broken from Murray's elusiveness.

How ARI played the mesh concept on that critical 3rd down. They defended this very well. ARI ran this concept on offense - result, 49er blown coverage.

How routes from RBs in the backfield take longer to develop. This is one reason why the pro set is long gone in exchange for the slot WR. One of these days, the 49ers will hit a RB on a wheel route for a big gain. They ran it this game more than I've ever seen it. They only targeted it once to Jet but it was a rushed throw and overthrown. The LB had decent coverage though.

Kwon was the worst defender on the field imo. That 20 yard run to give ARI a nice kickstart to their end of half drive was on him. He has to understand where his help is. That was frustrating. How he got beat on the TD even though he had the angle and the 17 yard scramble from Murray - this was a tough play but he got spun for a loop and didn't look good. I'm about ready for Greenlaw to take over that spot. Just have Warner run around yelling "HoT bOyZ!!" to make up for Kwon's absence.

There was one play where TMoore was in (he had two snaps total) and he played a spy role, not allowing Murray to scramble. Saleh came with a blitz heavy gameplan, by his standards, and got burned on the Murray TD scramble. Overall I thought the defensive gameplan was good. They mixed in man coverage and blitzes to go with a heavy dose of Quarters to prevent big pass plays. Truth be told, ARI's best plays were 'throw it to Hopkins", and "Murray run around like a chicken". Oh, also get timely penalties. The 49ers had 4 defensive penalties, all were for automatic first downs. Three on the same drive when the down and distance was in the defense's favor (drive ends with Murray TD scramble). Those were real killers.

Have to mention Jimmy's biggest miss and that was the underthrown pass to Bourne who was ready to take the lead with just over a minute left. Overall, if the WRs are having trouble getting separation versus man, I think they should have relied on Kittle even with a gimpy knee. They sure loved their trips bunch in this game. While I understand wanting to get natural picks and rubs out of this, I thought that once it was clear Jimmy was struggling to see the field, they should have spread things out. Continue to use the RBs and TEs (21, 12 personnel), but spread them out. They really favored the shotgun in the game anyway so playaction from under center wasn't a big part of the gameplan.

Nice work touching on so many plays. I'll try to show a few I felt were important like the blown coverage that had Hopkins wide open and the play before the play where ARI defended the mesh concept that you broke down - it was a 2nd & 3 where Coleman ran for 0 and it showed why missing Deebo made 22 personnel ineffective. Perhaps also the TMoore play and why he might play a bigger role in their second matchup later this season.

Overall a frustrating loss but I don't think the 49ers got outplayed big time or anything. ARI didn't play a very clean game either, a bunch of penalties for them. I think performing so poorly on 3rd downs, on both sides of the ball, was the biggest reason for the loss.
Originally posted by thl408:
Great breakdown as always jd.
I'm really glad you broke down and touched on the following plays because it tells a good story: the trap coverage on the incompletion to Taylor (3rd & 5).
The 49ers went back to the play on the final 4th down (incomplete to Taylor). On that play, they had BOurne do the protection release then raise his hands up as if he was open, just to prevent the CB from squatting on Taylor's quick Out. I think with the 49ers loving to throw to the middle of the field, they wanted to change it up and throw it outside. Too bad the throw was a bit late/behind on the 4th down.

The various DB blitzes from Saleh. Ward and KWilliams blitzed on numerous downs. Not sure if I saw a LB blitzing. This is so that if the blitzer got through (Ward or KWilliams) they won't get their ankles broken from Murray's elusiveness.

How ARI played the mesh concept on that critical 3rd down. They defended this very well. ARI ran this concept on offense - result, 49er blown coverage.

How routes from RBs in the backfield take longer to develop. This is one reason why the pro set is long gone in exchange for the slot WR. One of these days, the 49ers will hit a RB on a wheel route for a big gain. They ran it this game more than I've ever seen it. They only targeted it once to Jet but it was a rushed throw and overthrown. The LB had decent coverage though.

Kwon was the worst defender on the field imo. That 20 yard run to give ARI a nice kickstart to their end of half drive was on him. He has to understand where his help is. That was frustrating. How he got beat on the TD even though he had the angle and the 17 yard scramble from Murray - this was a tough play but he got spun for a loop and didn't look good. I'm about ready for Greenlaw to take over that spot. Just have Warner run around yelling "HoT bOyZ!!" to make up for Kwon's absence.

There was one play where TMoore was in (he had two snaps total) and he played a spy role, not allowing Murray to scramble. Saleh came with a blitz heavy gameplan, by his standards, and got burned on the Murray TD scramble. Overall I thought the defensive gameplan was good. They mixed in man coverage and blitzes to go with a heavy dose of Quarters to prevent big pass plays. Truth be told, ARI's best plays were 'throw it to Hopkins", and "Murray run around like a chicken". Oh, also get timely penalties. The 49ers had 4 defensive penalties, all were for automatic first downs. Three on the same drive when the down and distance was in the defense's favor (drive ends with Murray TD scramble). Those were real killers.

Have to mention Jimmy's biggest miss and that was the underthrown pass to Bourne who was ready to take the lead with just over a minute left. Overall, if the WRs are having trouble getting separation versus man, I think they should have relied on Kittle even with a gimpy knee. They sure loved their trips bunch in this game. While I understand wanting to get natural picks and rubs out of this, I thought that once it was clear Jimmy was struggling to see the field, they should have spread things out. Continue to use the RBs and TEs (21, 12 personnel), but spread them out. They really favored the shotgun in the game anyway so playaction from under center wasn't a big part of the gameplan.

Nice work touching on so many plays. I'll try to show a few I felt were important like the blown coverage that had Hopkins wide open and the play before the play where ARI defended the mesh concept that you broke down - it was a 2nd & 3 where Coleman ran for 0 and it showed why missing Deebo made 22 personnel ineffective. Perhaps also the TMoore play and why he might play a bigger role in their second matchup later this season.

Overall a frustrating loss but I don't think the 49ers got outplayed big time or anything. ARI didn't play a very clean game either, a bunch of penalties for them. I think performing so poorly on 3rd downs, on both sides of the ball, was the biggest reason for the loss.

Did you see saleh's presser on the blown coverage. He clarified, said it wasn't a blown coverage it was a blown call by not communicating the defense. He called zone in to Warner, ari went no huddle and ward and moseley didn't get that play-call out to them. You can see moseley before the playing, arms out asking around. Apparently they were never relayed the play call and ran the previous play all, man. So they followed their receivers, the other half th field was in zone....
On the underthrown ball to bourne, im kind of more with Kyle on that. You can't expect a perfect throw every time, the receiver needs to fight back to the ball and at least draw PI.

I almost did, but thought it might seem too jimmy homerish, but thought about playing the PI Kelce drew on Moore in the SB in the end zone back to back with the underthrown bourne play.

Mainly, because he's getting hammered for that throw and talk of how he jusy isn't it.

Patrick Mahomes underthrew Kelce but the same Margin in the SB on an easier throw. The difference was Kelce fought back for the ball and drew PI on Moore and KC took the lead the next play.

Thanks for all the work you do for this board, Jonny. It doesnt get underappreciated thats for sure.
Originally posted by thl408:
Just have Warner run around yelling "HoT bOyZ!!" to make up for Kwon's absence.

First,

The 49ers had 4 defensive penalties, all were for automatic first downs.

Frustrating thing is, almost every defensive penalty is an automatic first down. Outside of offsides-related calls/illegal substitution, there is little to no breathing room for defensive mistakes in term of penalties.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Did you see saleh's presser on the blown coverage. He clarified, said it wasn't a blown coverage it was a blown call by not communicating the defense. He called zone in to Warner, ari went no huddle and ward and moseley didn't get that play-call out to them. You can see moseley before the playing, arms out asking around. Apparently they were never relayed the play call and ran the previous play all, man. So they followed their receivers, the other half th field was in zone....

Oh I didn't listen to Saleh's presser. Blown coverage, blown call, it blew. I thought Ward blew that play by following the drag route which caused Moseley to shift over, which caused an outnumbering situation to Hopkin's side. I thought Kwon was too quick to match the route to the flat which caused this domino effect. Warner was definitely not playing zone on that play. There was something awry with what Ward, Moseley, Kwon, and Warner did on that play.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
On the underthrown ball to bourne, im kind of more with Kyle on that. You can't expect a perfect throw every time, the receiver needs to fight back to the ball and at least draw PI.
I almost did, but thought it might seem too jimmy homerish, but thought about playing the PI Kelce drew on Moore in the SB in the end zone back to back with the underthrown bourne play.

Mainly, because he's getting hammered for that throw and talk of how he jusy isn't it.

Patrick Mahomes underthrew Kelce but the same Margin in the SB on an easier throw. The difference was Kelce fought back for the ball and drew PI on Moore and KC took the lead the next play.

Ehh, Kyle is protecting his QB with those comments. Jimmy had an open Bourne and had more end zone to work with to place the ball further away from the CB chasing Bourne. No need to play it that safe and underthrow Bourne imo. I dunno, jd, I expect Jimmy to make a better throw considering the separation Bourne had and the clean pocket Jimmy had.
What's the word on Ford's performance?
Share 49ersWebzone