LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Jordan Willis - EDGE signs with Raiders

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
The Lions got Everson Griffin and the Cardinals got Markus Golden for 6th round picks. Both are much more proven and accomplished than Willis. Why wasn't Lynch making one of those deals? I think a 6th would have been worth it for an improved pass rush. But with our luck, they would suffer a season ending injury in their 1st game with the Niners.

Could be a money issue, I think saw earlier today we only have like $113,000 to spend right now. So if Willis is making less than either of those option I guess it makes sense

Definitely a money issue. We are going to be looking for cheap talent. People forget that with drafting well, you also have to pay said players. Fred Warner is on deck once this season is up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Hopefully, we hit a home run with the Willis acquisition.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Can't be worse than Ansah right?
The Lions got Everson Griffin and the Cardinals got Markus Golden for 6th round picks. Both are much more proven and accomplished than Willis. Why wasn't Lynch making one of those deals? I think a 6th would have been worth it for an improved pass rush. But with our luck, they would suffer a season ending injury in their 1st game with the Niners.

Money plain and simple...they don't have any. Wasted like $1.3M on Ziggy
Originally posted by NYniner85:

That shyt irritates me. There should be a rule about this in terms of a number of snaps that need to be played or something.

I never liked Ansah and definitely didn't like this signing, but I get why they had to do it. No luck at edge this year.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes the blues get ahold of you..."

With some good coaching, and maybe some input from Bosa, Willis can be disruptive. We can use that now. He also should be motivated to make a place for himself on this team while Ford is faltering. We'll see.
Originally posted by AceDuce49:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Can't be worse than Ansah right?

TBH i already forgot we even had him since he got hurt right away.

All this back and forth on who's more desperate to sign, we finally bring him and he gets hurt lol.
Facially looks like Haley, and with the name of Willis. Imagine if he had the talent of both....
  • thl408
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Facially looks like Haley, and with the name of Willis. Imagine if he had the talent of both....

If he plays like Jordan I'll be happy.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That shyt irritates me. There should be a rule about this in terms of a number of snaps that need to be played or something.

I never liked Ansah and definitely didn't like this signing, but I get why they had to do it. No luck at edge this year.

Should be like hockey when guys injured for the year can go on long term IR which frees up their cap hit

Yeah I hated the signing of Ansah. Dude hasn't been able to stay healthy the last few years and was largely ineffective last season with the Seahawks. The team likes signing guys who are connected to coaches on the team and we were in dire need of edge support at the time so I understood the signing. Unfortunately it ended up being a complete waste of money and prohibited us from potentially trading for a slightly better talent.

As far as Willis, I'm not expecting much but he has some very nice athletic traits and will be working with an elite dline coach. If Kocurek can just get some solid production out of him it's a win on three fronts. He was a cheap acquisition. He would provide great depth in area of huge need right now. Lastly it would allow the team to move Armstead back to the inside more where he is vastly more effective. We shall see.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM ]
Originally posted by goatroppolo:

Should be like hockey when guys injured for the year can go on long term IR which frees up their cap hit

100% agree. I didn't know that about hockey but I was just about to suggest that for football. It makes sense with all the injuries it's not fair if they're pushed up against the cap. How can you even field a team after a year like this!
Re: Ansah - Would they be able to do an waivied/injury settlement with him to save cap space?
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

If he plays like Jordan I'll be happy.

Moves like Jordan, hits like Willis..

Because the salary cap disappeared into thin air.
Share 49ersWebzone