There are 214 users in the forums

Fred Dean has passed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Randy Cross with another good Dean story. He said he saw Fred lying on a bench and he asked him what he was doing. Fred answered "Well, I was thinking about lifting weights but I think I'll just lay here until I get over it.'

Hilarious I remember watching the regular season game between the Bengals and Niners during the first Super Bowl year. Dean lined up across from the Bengals AllPro tackle Anthony Munoz. At the snap, Dean reaches with his right hand to Munoz's right chest protector on his shoulder pads. Lifts Munoz up and moves him out of his way on the way to the QB
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Hilarious I remember watching the regular season game between the Bengals and Niners during the first Super Bowl year. Dean lined up across from the Bengals AllPro tackle Anthony Munoz. At the snap, Dean reaches with his right hand to Munoz's right chest protector on his shoulder pads. Lifts Munoz up and moves him out of his way on the way to the QB

But did he sack the qb?
One of my favorite players watching as a young lad. I remember Ronnie Lott said Fred pulled out a pack of Kools and started smoking at Halftime after wreaking havoc on the Cowgirls. Rip Sir.
Originally posted by Brooklyn9er:
One of my favorite players watching as a young lad. I remember Ronnie Lott said Fred pulled out a pack of Kools and started smoking at Halftime after wreaking havoc on the Cowgirls. Rip Sir.

Nice post. I saw 48 replies and came in here to be #49 but your Kool tidbit makes for a nice post. I'm smoking one for good ol Freddy right now! RIP Dean of Mean!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
So sad. Great moments. My favorite quote:

"Every once in a while I get the urge to lift weights. I ...lie down until it passes."

RIP one in a million.

randy cross telling that story was gold
Originally posted by pdizo916:
But did he sack the qb?

Take a guess
RIP legend
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Dwight Hicks is a doctor?

USA Today report got it correct: "No cause of death was given in the Hall of Fame's death announcement."

When all is said and done, Covid may be listed as the offficial cause of death. It's also true that Dean was a heavy smoker and drinker. Sort of like Kenny Stabler. Who also died young. Could that have played a role? Maybe. I don't know. But, as a reporter, I certainly would not write a headline or tweet claiming that Dean died from smoking or drinking, UNLESS that report came from the attending physician.

COVID isn't always listed as the cause of death. Complications brought on by COVID are often cited which is what was reported here by several sources. Hicks doesn't have to be a doctor to know what his friend why his friend was admitted to the hospital. COVID can affect so many parts of the body that any one of those things can cause death. If you have bad lungs or a heart condition, then COVID can attack that area and ultimately cause death.

They would never say the cause of death was from smoking or drinking. They would say something like liver disease or cardiac arrest or COPD.

The sack at 1:44

USA Today report got it correct: "No cause of death was given in the Hall of Fame's death announcement."

When all is said and done, Covid may be listed as the offficial cause of death. It's also true that Dean was a heavy smoker and drinker. Sort of like Kenny Stabler. Who also died young. Could that have played a role? Maybe. I don't know. But, as a reporter, I certainly would not write a headline or tweet claiming that Dean died from smoking or drinking, UNLESS that report came from the attending physician.

COVID isn't always listed as the cause of death. Complications brought on by COVID are often cited which is what was reported here by several sources. Hicks doesn't have to be a doctor to know what his friend why his friend was admitted to the hospital. COVID can affect so many parts of the body that any one of those things can cause death. If you have bad lungs or a heart condition, then COVID can attack that area and ultimately cause death.

They would never say the cause of death was from smoking or drinking. They would say something like liver disease or cardiac arrest or COPD.

You're missing the point. A reporter, Joe Davidson, listed the cause of death as Covid. You don't do that as a reporter. You don't print a cause until the attending physician says "this was the cause."

I worked as a reporter for a long time. I would have been fired or suspended for doing what Davidson did.
Add to the fact that, like it or not, this is a disease that has been politicized to achieve a political outcome.

We may never know what the official cause of death was. In many cases, at the request of the family, this information is kept private.

You're missing the point. A reporter, Joe Davidson, listed the cause of death as Covid. You don't do that as a reporter. You don't print a cause until the attending physician says "this was the cause."

I worked as a reporter for a long time. I would have been fired or suspended for doing what Davidson did.
Add to the fact that, like it or not, this is a disease that has been politicized to achieve a political outcome.

We may never know what the official cause of death was. In many cases, at the request of the family, this information is kept private.

This came from the NY Times. It is an example of very good reporting:

Dean died on Oct. 14 while being airlifted from a hospital in West Monroe, La., to Jackson, Miss. He was 68. The cause was complications of Covid-19, his son Mason said.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
may The Warrior rest in peace...
This came from the NY Times. It is an example of very good reporting:

Dean died on Oct. 14 while being airlifted from a hospital in West Monroe, La., to Jackson, Miss. He was 68. The cause was complications of Covid-19, his son Mason said.

I heard several sources say that the cause was complications from COVID-19. That was the 1st story I read and has been repeated by many others. If you think this disease has been politicized that's your problem. I don't think the people that have family members that died feel that way. As for reporters jumping the gun on a story. Welcome to the real world. That's what the internet and tweeting has produced.
damn. This is surreal
Rest easy Fred ❤️💛
Share 49ersWebzone