LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 368 users in the forums

You're suddenly the 49ers HC: What Do You Do NOW?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
You nailed pretty much everything I'd do. I wouldn't even try and trade Pettis and Witherspoon I'd just hand them their walking papers and tell them to get the f**k outta here Ari Gold style. I'd have Verrett stay as my starter and see if Moseley whos more physical can play in the slot and have Sherm and Verrett on the outside. And I'd have an open competition at RT between Brunskill and McGlinchey.

You're right I forgot about that. I would absolutely play Sherman and Jason at the outside and Moseley in the slot at this point to keep our best guys on the field.

what Williams whose is the starting Nickel/Slot He`s damn good just hurt right now
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
You nailed pretty much everything I'd do. I wouldn't even try and trade Pettis and Witherspoon I'd just hand them their walking papers and tell them to get the f**k outta here Ari Gold style. I'd have Verrett stay as my starter and see if Moseley whos more physical can play in the slot and have Sherm and Verrett on the outside. And I'd have an open competition at RT between Brunskill and McGlinchey.

You're right I forgot about that. I would absolutely play Sherman and Jason at the outside and Moseley in the slot at this point to keep our best guys on the field.

what Williams whose is the starting Nickel/Slot He`s damn good just hurt right now

That's what we're saying, until Williams is back, we need our best players on the field, so that's why we would do it this way.

Originally posted by thl408:
QB: Play Mullens until Jimmy is healthy enough to drive on his throws. Tell Mullens to take care of the ball and play within his limits. He probably wants to get flashy for the money, but that's not his game.
When Jimmy comes back, let him throw it. We need answers whether Jimmy can/has improve or not. He needs to show what he can do without pass plays being schemed up. He's supposed to look better and more comfortable this season.

RG: Yeah McKivitz, sure. I'm not seeing anything good with Brunskill at guard.

RT: Bench McG and put Brunskill at RT. Brunskill looked okay there last season at OT. McG needs to gather his thoughts and re-focus on what made him a respectable player.

Defense needs its DBs back. It was already a suspect position group, even worse with 4th stringers. In the meantime, consider more base personnel (Warner, Kwon, Dre) to matchup with opposing teams 11 personnel. SEA did it last season because their nickel personnel sucked, so they played 3 LBs even when the offense had 3 WRs on the field.

Can't do much about the starting DEs out. Saleh can scheme up pressures but harder to do when there's little confidence at the CB spot not named Verrett, and no KWaun Williams. Hoping Moseley's concussion heals soon.

I consider these minor tweaks.
YEP Mullins had a bad game but he is the better QB on the team,I think Kyle don`t want Mullins to succeed,it makes him look bad having drafted Beathard and traded for JimmyGarbage and if given a REAL fair shake Mullins can suceed
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

Williams is a stud. Isn't Mosley to slow to play slot corner?
Meet with the entire team, coaches, trainers.

Tell them to get their heads out of their arses and remind them that they're professionals. The Super Bowl was long ago and no one respects them for last year.

This is the NFL which stands for Not For Long of you keep playing like that. No one gets cut today, but starting next Monday if you don't pick each other up moves will be made.

Pettis and Taylor get reps in the game. Everyone gets a shot. It's not fair to let Aiyuk, Debo, and Bourne run themselves all game. They need rotational breathers.

O-line you've gotten soft. McG beef up and get into playing shape immediately you're getting your QB killed.

If you're good enough to suit up, you're good enough to play. No cherry picking. If my players keep getting recurring injuries I'm evaluating the trainers and medical staff too.

Special teams are a ticket to staying on board. Miss a block, don't give 100 % you're done.

If my coaches still keep making stupid decisions like matching one on one coverage with a ps player activated on Saturday and you don't adjust in time then you're gone too Saleh.

(Thanks I feel much better now)
cut withers, ford, and kitten to start
Originally posted by elguapo:
Release

Richburg
Alexander
Possibly Ford but since the restructure who knows if it's worth it

Do not resign

Tartt

Resign

Sherman
T Williams
Slot bc Williams
Hyder

Free agency

Sign a Center and/or a Guard
Sign a cb

Main thing I would do I hire a team of reputable doctors scientists priests voodoo priests and any other spiritual healers to help reduce injuries. After all, with a relatively healthy team we would be 5-0 easily

I would let Sherman, T Williams, and Hyder go unless he comes back for a cheap price). I would re-sign K Williams and Juice.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Yup I agree. Definitely add more roll outs and boot legs. Cut the field in half for our QB, like mcvay has done for Goff. And when jimmy comes back go back to the 2017 offense he ran. I feel Kyle complicates things too much, but jimmy ain't a Matt Ryan (mentally) simplifying things will make him much better.

This would make the offense more effective, giving Jimmy some easy throws. But that is part of the problem imo. I know Jimmy can make the throws that are schemed up to provide an open primary target. I want to see him with a straight dropback, make a read, make the throw. This is where he needs to improve and the only way is to do it. Do it, fail at it, improve at it.

Last season, when it became clear the 49ers were capable of big things in the postseason, Kyle had to win games. That means scheme up the offense the best he could. If this season is not destined for the playoffs, then I want to see less rollouts, less RPOs, less screens. Make Jimmy earn his passing yards and in the meantime give Kyle a good read on what kind of QB he is. Is Jimmy the type that can stand on his own and make plays, or does he need all the creative misdirection to get explosive plays?

I estimated that nearly 25% of Jimmy's passes in 2019 were well schemed plays that did not require him to make quick, accurate postsnap decisions - just complete the playfake, look up and there's an open target, or throw a screen pass - simple stuff for a QB to do. If this season is not shaping up to be a playoff season, then take off the training wheels to the offense.

I totally agree.

I want to know exactly what we have in him.

I don't want results, I want knowledge.

If we do it this way, we'll know what we have in him most likely.
Get a good physical exam on McG. I think he is injured, after rewatching a lot of his tape from last yr....and he does have PRP injected into a knee, which has been a problem. He is either physically got a knee problem or he has over the off season suddenly lost his ability to move and stay with a DL or he has suddenly lost his quickness. In his tape he looks quick and fast last yr. Staying with a DL was no sweat. This yr? Something big changed .. Just make sure it isn't physical problem. Whatever it is , fix it. Basically he just can't stay wiht a block.

Would keep JG off the field until completely healed his high ankle. He was not ready physically to play yesterday. Then when ready, bring him back.
As for feeding him schemed plays where a WR is schemed open, i like the idea of returning him to how he arrived...quick, ready, and able to get a ball in accurately and on time. Kyle has taken him away from all that talent he arrived with. Scheming can be great...but it has its drawbacks. Let him be himself.
This could work...or backfire. IDK but i'd try it.

Right now give CJ the ball and see what he does. Last half of yesterday was not great however. We may have to do with very mediocre backups altho i thot otherwise of Mullie until JG is ready to go.

Mckivitz...find a place for him , and don't exclude center. But try him out C,G, T. See if he fits and plays one better than the other. Unfortunately we are playing Darnold Sun so probably bad timing, but jeez, our OL is just not clicking . Try out some new blood. Not sure what to do wiht McG other than find out if he is hurt but not telling anyone. He is way better than he has played.

With a contract like Dee's, it is silly to just ship him off. We are under obligation for what? $20 mil next yr? For certain, no more signings of guys with any injury hx. Please stay away from that. Right now, we got Hyder, Arik, and Kin. Use that as your base + whoever is best of rest. "BEST 4"

Coaching: in middle of game or whenever if one guy is getting killed out there, eg Allen, sit him down. Don't wait for him to allow 3 TDs. Learn to improvise on the fly...and at the moment, not much, much , later. Also, i think we miss Coach Woods. No way to fix that, but....

DBs? Injury all around, but play the best 4. Figure out how to use your best 4 . If somebody needs help, fine. Help him out.

OL: move guys around. IDK if McG is going to be any better elsewhere but make the move as suggested above and try Brunskill at OT.

Playcalling: no point in calling 5 step or 7 steppers when the OL can't block for it. Rollouts, boots, whatever. Just don't depend on OL blocking for anything but quick, quick quick. Because they can't.

Hopefully some guys out return but do NOT return them until 100%. That was a problem with JG.

Mostert can run even with this OL. Jet nor Wilson are #1s. Just use them to give him a blow.

Not sure what is problem with TEs, but they look uncertain, possibly poorly coached. Dwelley is great blocker but he fanned bad on the massive Jimmy hit. (At least i think it was him). Our DEs need to step up...coaching again suspect.

Lastly, i don't think our guys were ready to play yesterday. Coaching. Coaching. Coaching. Don't know the trouble but some guys just did not look ready to play. Incredible # of missed blocks, matched only by our DBs inability to stay with the WRs. Coaching. Don't know how but Kyle has to oversee D and O. And our DC and assts have to do better.
Try to get traded to a franchise with competent ownership.

Originally posted by CardinalGold:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
QB. Play Beathard for the rest of the season since there's something wrong with Jimmy ( mentally and physically )

RG. Give the rookie a shot
RT. Play Brunskill

Defensively. replace ward with Moore.

Move Armstead inside full time, and find someone else to play the edge.

Coaching wise. Use Mostert as much as possible, and get Kittle the ball as much as we can.

Why play Beathard the rest of the season once Jimmy is healthy? Jimmy is still the best of the 3 QBs, and he's the guy we're paying $25M this year to. There is no point in not playing him if he's on this team, unless you think another QB on the roster is better than him.

Because if we lose to the rams, it's fair to say that we aren't making the playoffs. So why risk Injuring him any further?
Originally posted by miked1978:
Why not play Jimmy when healthy?

Why move Armstwad inside when Kinlaw and Jones are doing just fine? That doesn't make sense.

Armstead is better suited for the DT position imo. He's too slow on the edge to deal with mobile Qbs.

See above for Jimmy...
I'd be monitoring the Eagles and Wentz relationship. If they continue to tank, I could see them going with Hurts. Wentz still has talent in my opinion, just has no weapons other then Ertz and Sanders. I think he would kill in this offense with the weapons we have and with Shanny as his play caller.
[ Edited by Wolf_Packer_53 on Oct 12, 2020 at 6:41 PM ]
Coach Shanahan is the QB Whisperer if JG isn't the man he will make a move by next year.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
I'd be monitoring the Eagles and Wentz relationship. If they continue to tank, I could see them going with Hurts. Wentz still has talent in my opinion, just has no weapons other then Ertz and Sanders. I think he would kill in this offense with the weapons we have and with Shanny as his play caller.

We should probably explore every possible option at this point, until we have our franchise QB.
I'd keep grinding. I'm not a fan of making changes mid season so I'd wait till season's over but as soon as its over, I'd be firing the strength and conditioning coach.
I'd have a meeting with the team and tell em straight up that this season was unacceptable and that everyone was on notice.
I'd also have a talk with John Lynch and tell him to quit trading away our f'n draft picks! Everyone knows this is Kyle's team and if Kyle wanted John Lynch gone, he'd be gone. Not saying it would go that far. I believe in building through the draft and supplementing through FA so I hate trading away draft picks. I don't feel like a ton of changes need to be made. I just feel like a few strategic ones would do.
Share 49ersWebzone