LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 174 users in the forums

New Article I posted where I take a look at the 49ers 2021 cap situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First off AB, fantastic work on this. You do all the grueling work that we would never do and allow us back seat drivers to grab the wheel and try to tell you where to go. Understanding the value of your efforts, I have some thoughts:

Tartt- maybe let him go. Could re-sign Cyprien for a lesser deal and have Harris, who is improving and younger with Cyprien man the SS position

K. Williams- Don't think we should spend 8M on a 30 year old slot CB who is finding injury more and more. A guy like Jamar can be signed for cheap plus
Mosley can move there if we draft or pick up another outside CB which brings us to.............

Sherman- With age comes more and more injuries. He would have to be cheap which I think he won't. Should Verrett stay healthy the rest of the year, I wouldn't
bother with Sherman and use his allotted money to pick someone younger and cheaper up. I am starting to believe we are able to coach up good CBs.

Richburg- If it saves us money, dump Richburg. Grassu has played above expectations and Garland is solid. I have a sneaking suspicion that Shepley becomes
starting C in 2021. If not, those three should be able to man the position well enough for 2021

Trent Williams- I only hope he signs for your projected contract
[ Edited by 60sFan on Oct 29, 2020 at 8:21 AM ]
Getting rid of players doesnt mean financial relief. Thats what most of you are missing. In fact, by cutting players, your absorbing the hit and still getting rid of the player.

if you had a car that you still owed $10,000, are you just going to leave it on the freeway ? lol youre still going to have to pay for it whether you keep it or abandon it so might as well keep it and use the f**k out of it.
[ Edited by ziggy_gonna_rock on Oct 29, 2020 at 8:43 AM ]
WHAT ARE some of you guys smoking. dont resign tartt or DJ Jones??? wtf?? those dudes are the players helping this defense hang on for dear life in a year where wev lost almost every starter.
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Getting rid of players doesnt mean financial relief. Thats what most of you are missing. In fact, by cutting players, your absorbing the hit and still getting rid of the player.

if you had a car that you still owed $10,000, are you just going to leave it on the freeway ? lol youre still going to have to pay for it whether you keep it or abandon it so might as well keep it and use the f**k out of it.

We have a lot of guys contracts expiring so no more money will be owed. Some of the guys who still have years remaining like Dee Ford or Kwon will require some dead money though like you mentioned.
Kwon could definitely be on the list of post June 1 cuts. We'd be carrying some dead money for a few years but would save a lot.

Ford is going to be a tough one to move if he can't stay healthy. Trade is probably the best option, but still not a great option.

I understand we restructured him to free up space for other guys but it's just an ugly ugly contract.

Our only real out would be if Ford did something similar to Jets restructure, but that seems unlikely.
[ Edited by JaggedJ on Oct 29, 2020 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
^^ AB I know you're all about resigning every niner, but there is absolutely no reason to resign Coleman...none.

If Blair doesn't come back this yr, I see no point in resigning him. I also don't see how he would get more than Hyder? Solomon Thomas? Nope. Take all that extra $ and get a meaningful edge rusher.

While I love Bourne, I'd let him test the market out. I'd also let Tartt test out the market. Same with Sherm.

I'd also be very leery of restructuring any of the following Ford/Richburg/Kwon. They gotta stop pushing money down the road on guys that just can't stay healthy. Pull the band-Aid.

No more giving meaningful money to guys that can't stay healthy, no more pushing money down the road in hopes they can stay healthy...

I'm with you on most of these. Solomon Thomas- absolutely not. With Blair, his injury was pretty late in 2019 so even if he did come back, it would likely be in the last quarter of the season. I'd definitely let Tartt test the market. I like Bourne, but I think he is about at his max. May as well let him test the market. Ford will likely get a pass because we are so thin at edge. Same with Richburg.

Originally posted by FranchisePoster:
Originally posted by lamontb:
we can't keep everybody and shouldn't. Ward and Tartt don't make much of a difference to be resigned when we need to save money to pay better players. DJ Jones really hasn't shown much to be resigned in my opinion. Mckinnon and Coleman both need to be gone. We do need to resign Williams. I'd rather have him over Sherman at this point in there careers. Sherm leg issues aren't going to get better

I Agree with you. I think it is time to rebuild the Backfield. Let Ward and Tartt go, replace with Moore and Harris/draft pick/FA.
Sherman shouldn't be re signed unless it is very team friendly. I too would rather keep Williams and possibly Verrett(do not give him a big contract!). We have Eman and maybe a 1st round corner/Verrett starting.

Solomon Thomas has already stolen enough money from the team and needs to go to the XFL.
DJ Jones will command a decent pay day due to the nature of overpaying in FA and I don't think he should be re signed.

I would keep Hyder and try to find diamonds in the rough similar to Hyder who don't cost much but will produce.

Warner will and should be payed as top1 or top2 LB in the NFL.

Get rid of Kwon

Get rid of Dee Ford if injuries persist.

To be honest next year might be sort of a soft reboot and we might see a lot of new guys on the team.

We can't and shouldn't keep non producers and injuries Flies.

Mckinnon must go, I would get rid of Coleman and keep Mostert, Hasty, and Wilson Jr. Sign UDFAs for the Win.

Get rid of Bourne unless he signs for the vet Minimum

Get rid of Taylor, James and Pettis

We need fresh blood from the end of the draft rds 6-7th plus Hungry UDFAs for new receivers.

Too much money is tied up in Non producers and injuries Flies this year and it is f**king up the ability to trade for someone who could have helped us on the Edge this year on our quest to the Super Bowl, which we still have a excellent shot due to the weak NFC this year

Agreed. We have some pretty talented guys and I'd like to see a fresh infusion of talent onto the team. I'm talking 7-10 rookies making the team.
We cannot cut Ford! We f'd ourselves! Paraag must go!
Originally posted by davide49:

I hope this is a joke.
Updated it again, 2021 Offseason Plan (49erscap.com)

Key moves.

Re-Signings:

QB Nick Mullens 1yr 2nd Rd RFA tender ($2.914M)
RB Jeff Wilson Jr. 1yr $920K
RB Austin Walter 1yr ERFA tender ($780K)
FB Kyle Juszyzck to a 5-year deal, worth $5.25M a year, $8M fully GTD, $2M injury GTD
WR Kendrick Bourne to 2-year deal, worth $2.5M a year, $2.95M fully GTD
WR River Cracraft 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
TE Jordan Reed to a 1-year deal, worth $850K
TE Ross Dwelley 1yr $920K
C Ben Garland to a 1-year deal, worth $2M
C Hroniss Grasu 1yr $850K
C Tony Bergstrom 1yr $850K
RG Daniel Brunskill 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
LT Trent Williams to a 5-year deal, worth $18M a year, $38.45M fully GTD, $3.5M injury GTD
DE Kerry Hyder Jr. to a 3-year deal, worth $3M a year, $3.1M fully GTD
DE Ronald Blair III to a 1-year deal, worth $2M
DE Jordan Willis 1yr $850K
NT D.J. Jones to a 5-year deal, worth $5M a year, $7.3M fully GTD, $2.7M injury GTD
MLB Joe Walker 1yr $850K
CB Richard Sherman to a 3-year deal, worth $10M a year, $11.85M fully GTD, $3.5M injury GTD
CB K'Waun Williams to a 5-year deal, worth $8M a year, $10.2M fully GTD, $2.45M injury GTD
CB Jason Verrett to a 3-year deal, worth $4M a year, $4.2M fully GTD
CB Emmanuel Moseley 1yr 2nd Rd RFA tender ($2.914M)
CB Jamar Taylor 1yr $850K
CB Ken Webster 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
SS Johnathan Cyprien 1yr $850K
SS Marcell Harris 1yr $920K
SS Chris Edwards 1yr ERFA tender ($780K)
LS Taybor Pepper 1yr $920K

Reserve/Futures deals(Practice Squaders, all minimum salary deals).

FB Josh Hokit 2yr
WR Jauan Jennings 2yr
WR Kevin White 1yr
WR Shawn Poindexter 2yr
TE Chase Harrell 2yr
TE Daniel Helm 2yr
RG Dakoda Shepley 2yr
DE Alex Barrett 2yr
DT Willie Henry Jr. 1yr
NT Darrion Daniels 2yr
NT Josiah Coatney 2yr
SLB Jonas Griffith 2yr
CB Tim Harris Jr. 2yr
CB Parnell Motley 2yr
FS Jared Mayden 2yr
S Kai Nacua 1yr

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert 5-year deal, worth $5M a year, $9.675M fully GTD, $1.7M injury GTD
MLB Fred Warner to a 5-year deal, worth $18M a year, $28.457M fully GTD, $11.5M injury GTD.

Restructures/Pay Cuts:

QB Jimmy Garoppolo restructure saves $18.42M
C Weston Richburg pay cut saving $5M
DE Dee Ford pay cut saving $8M
DE Arik Armstead restructure saves $4.528M
FS Jimmie Ward restructure saves $5.86M

Some notes, this isn't a lot of signings, despite what some may say, Mullens & Moseley are RFA tenders, Brunskill, Webster, Cracraft, Walter & Edwards are ERFA tenders, Wilson, Harris, Dwelley, Pepper are Non-Tendered RFAs re-signed to minimum deals, Walker, Cyprien, Grasu, Bergstrom, Reed, Willis, & Taylor are 1yr vet minimum deals, the 16 reserve/futures deals are all practice squad players(this always happens every year), while the only deals that are multi year deals are Bourne, Juice, Hyder, Trent, K'Waun, Sherman, Verrett, Jones, Warner & Mostert, and the only other deals worth more than the minimum are Blair & Garland's.

The team only has 33 players signed for 2021, so yes the 77 players I have signed seems like ok, that's a lot to re-sign, the 44 players, but as I said, we have 16 reserve/futures deals, that leaves 28 players, then we have 2 RFA tenders, and 5 ERFA tenders, so that leaves 21 players, then we have 7 easy 1yr veteran minimum salary benefit deals, which just means they get paid their minimum salary based on accrued years, but only $850K counts, then 4 non-tendered RFAs re-signed to minimum deals, so 10 players, 8 of which are UFAs signed to new multi year deals, then 2 to 1yr deals. So very easy offseason plan, I refuse to predict the draft, I'm no longer into researching about prospects anymore, too much time.

Anyway, these moves, would leave the team with $14,466,542 in cap room, if the team is able to carryover as much as $3,325,227, plus get $3.125M in LTBE credits not earned by Sherman & Compton, plus as of now $1,640,625 in per game roster bonuses not earned, and $304,500 in UDFA base salary guarantees paid back, as players can't double dip.

Obviously of these re-signings, the Sherman one depends on how well he plays the remaining 6 games, I'm even open to cutting/trading Ward, moving Sherm to FS, and Moore at SS(I have him at SS anyway, with Tartt walking).

Some other things, I have them picking up McGlinchey's 5th yr option, mainly due to the fact that the team picked up both Ward & Armstead's 5th yr options, plus GTD Reid's 5th yr option in 2017, even though Thomas's wasn't picked up, McGlinchey has shown way more than Thomas has IMO, plus I'd expect the 49ers to either extend McGlinchey or release/trade him before the option becomes GTD.

Beyond 2021, in 2022 we have 6 players eligible for extensions, Deebo, Hurd, Skule, Bosa, Greenlaw & Wishnowsky. Deebo, Bosa, & Dre will get double digit numbers IMO. After 2022, in 2023 we have 4 eligible for extensions, Aiyuk, Woerner, McKivitz, & Kinlaw, if all goes well, Aiyuk & Kinlaw will get double digit numbers too. Also Bosa's 5th yr is due in May 2022, Aiyuk & Kinlaw in May 2023.

Another thing is the Hyder re-signing, I know it's low to some, but you have to realize, he's never had a double digit sack season, we're going into an offseason/season with a lowered salary cap, so teams will be cautious of giving out big money to 1yr wonders, or injured guys like Verrett. Not many teams have a lot of cap room right now for 2021 if the cap is only $175M, which is likely, unless the NFL gets a ton of revenue elsewhere, the cap won't hit anywhere near the $198.2M it is this year.

Also look at OTC, check the cap space page, it shows all teams cap room, look at the 2021 tab, look at the effective cap room, that's the real cap room the team has, as it's with 51 players signed. Not sure if he includes potential carryover.
you're a freakin wiz, man! nice work.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by davide49:

I hope this is a joke.

Yes, let's keep the posts sensible, guys.
Keep jones, juice and hyder. Tender Mullens. Rest can kick rocks
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Updated it again, 2021 Offseason Plan (49erscap.com)

Key moves.

Re-Signings:

QB Nick Mullens 1yr 2nd Rd RFA tender ($2.914M)
RB Jeff Wilson Jr. 1yr $920K
RB Austin Walter 1yr ERFA tender ($780K)
FB Kyle Juszyzck to a 5-year deal, worth $5.25M a year, $8M fully GTD, $2M injury GTD
WR Kendrick Bourne to 2-year deal, worth $2.5M a year, $2.95M fully GTD
WR River Cracraft 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
TE Jordan Reed to a 1-year deal, worth $850K
TE Ross Dwelley 1yr $920K
C Ben Garland to a 1-year deal, worth $2M
C Hroniss Grasu 1yr $850K
C Tony Bergstrom 1yr $850K
RG Daniel Brunskill 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
LT Trent Williams to a 5-year deal, worth $18M a year, $38.45M fully GTD, $3.5M injury GTD
DE Kerry Hyder Jr. to a 3-year deal, worth $3M a year, $3.1M fully GTD
DE Ronald Blair III to a 1-year deal, worth $2M
DE Jordan Willis 1yr $850K
NT D.J. Jones to a 5-year deal, worth $5M a year, $7.3M fully GTD, $2.7M injury GTD
MLB Joe Walker 1yr $850K
CB Richard Sherman to a 3-year deal, worth $10M a year, $11.85M fully GTD, $3.5M injury GTD
CB K'Waun Williams to a 5-year deal, worth $8M a year, $10.2M fully GTD, $2.45M injury GTD
CB Jason Verrett to a 3-year deal, worth $4M a year, $4.2M fully GTD
CB Emmanuel Moseley 1yr 2nd Rd RFA tender ($2.914M)
CB Jamar Taylor 1yr $850K
CB Ken Webster 1yr ERFA tender ($850K)
SS Johnathan Cyprien 1yr $850K
SS Marcell Harris 1yr $920K
SS Chris Edwards 1yr ERFA tender ($780K)
LS Taybor Pepper 1yr $920K

Reserve/Futures deals(Practice Squaders, all minimum salary deals).

FB Josh Hokit 2yr
WR Jauan Jennings 2yr
WR Kevin White 1yr
WR Shawn Poindexter 2yr
TE Chase Harrell 2yr
TE Daniel Helm 2yr
RG Dakoda Shepley 2yr
DE Alex Barrett 2yr
DT Willie Henry Jr. 1yr
NT Darrion Daniels 2yr
NT Josiah Coatney 2yr
SLB Jonas Griffith 2yr
CB Tim Harris Jr. 2yr
CB Parnell Motley 2yr
FS Jared Mayden 2yr
S Kai Nacua 1yr

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert 5-year deal, worth $5M a year, $9.675M fully GTD, $1.7M injury GTD
MLB Fred Warner to a 5-year deal, worth $18M a year, $28.457M fully GTD, $11.5M injury GTD.

Restructures/Pay Cuts:

QB Jimmy Garoppolo restructure saves $18.42M
C Weston Richburg pay cut saving $5M
DE Dee Ford pay cut saving $8M
DE Arik Armstead restructure saves $4.528M
FS Jimmie Ward restructure saves $5.86M

Some notes, this isn't a lot of signings, despite what some may say, Mullens & Moseley are RFA tenders, Brunskill, Webster, Cracraft, Walter & Edwards are ERFA tenders, Wilson, Harris, Dwelley, Pepper are Non-Tendered RFAs re-signed to minimum deals, Walker, Cyprien, Grasu, Bergstrom, Reed, Willis, & Taylor are 1yr vet minimum deals, the 16 reserve/futures deals are all practice squad players(this always happens every year), while the only deals that are multi year deals are Bourne, Juice, Hyder, Trent, K'Waun, Sherman, Verrett, Jones, Warner & Mostert, and the only other deals worth more than the minimum are Blair & Garland's.

The team only has 33 players signed for 2021, so yes the 77 players I have signed seems like ok, that's a lot to re-sign, the 44 players, but as I said, we have 16 reserve/futures deals, that leaves 28 players, then we have 2 RFA tenders, and 5 ERFA tenders, so that leaves 21 players, then we have 7 easy 1yr veteran minimum salary benefit deals, which just means they get paid their minimum salary based on accrued years, but only $850K counts, then 4 non-tendered RFAs re-signed to minimum deals, so 10 players, 8 of which are UFAs signed to new multi year deals, then 2 to 1yr deals. So very easy offseason plan, I refuse to predict the draft, I'm no longer into researching about prospects anymore, too much time.

Anyway, these moves, would leave the team with $14,466,542 in cap room, if the team is able to carryover as much as $3,325,227, plus get $3.125M in LTBE credits not earned by Sherman & Compton, plus as of now $1,640,625 in per game roster bonuses not earned, and $304,500 in UDFA base salary guarantees paid back, as players can't double dip.

Obviously of these re-signings, the Sherman one depends on how well he plays the remaining 6 games, I'm even open to cutting/trading Ward, moving Sherm to FS, and Moore at SS(I have him at SS anyway, with Tartt walking).

Some other things, I have them picking up McGlinchey's 5th yr option, mainly due to the fact that the team picked up both Ward & Armstead's 5th yr options, plus GTD Reid's 5th yr option in 2017, even though Thomas's wasn't picked up, McGlinchey has shown way more than Thomas has IMO, plus I'd expect the 49ers to either extend McGlinchey or release/trade him before the option becomes GTD.

Beyond 2021, in 2022 we have 6 players eligible for extensions, Deebo, Hurd, Skule, Bosa, Greenlaw & Wishnowsky. Deebo, Bosa, & Dre will get double digit numbers IMO. After 2022, in 2023 we have 4 eligible for extensions, Aiyuk, Woerner, McKivitz, & Kinlaw, if all goes well, Aiyuk & Kinlaw will get double digit numbers too. Also Bosa's 5th yr is due in May 2022, Aiyuk & Kinlaw in May 2023.

Another thing is the Hyder re-signing, I know it's low to some, but you have to realize, he's never had a double digit sack season, we're going into an offseason/season with a lowered salary cap, so teams will be cautious of giving out big money to 1yr wonders, or injured guys like Verrett. Not many teams have a lot of cap room right now for 2021 if the cap is only $175M, which is likely, unless the NFL gets a ton of revenue elsewhere, the cap won't hit anywhere near the $198.2M it is this year.

Also look at OTC, check the cap space page, it shows all teams cap room, look at the 2021 tab, look at the effective cap room, that's the real cap room the team has, as it's with 51 players signed. Not sure if he includes potential carryover.

What kind of renegotiations are we doing with our training staff
Originally posted by pdizo916:

what about Trent? or K'Waun? Or Moseley?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

You know we have to have a team right?
Share 49ersWebzone