LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Niners win, but NFL loses...BIG TIME

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Didn't the players union want 0 preseason?

Yep. Less exposure meant less chance of getting Covid. Owners only wanted it to make money they don't have to share with other owners. Either way Covid is what got the pre season cancelled.

And the nfl could careless about these guys who are injured. They just worried about that t.v. money. Especially being that no big name qb's have been hurt.

People love saying that but reality is they need these players healthy or they end up with an inferior product.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Here in Paso listened to this colossal disaster of a really good W...which is wiped out by the decimated roster at game's end.

NFL Covid season will not be remembered for the virus and all it caused...death, disability, destruction of our economy, destruction of some parts of society...but rather for the horrendous mistake of thinking they could skip OTAs, decr the amount of TC and other practices, skip the PS...and then play football. Welp, that all happened, but some idiot, probably the commish, saw the $$$ going away and gave his ok to the owners desires for a season.

But at what cost? Today on radio game they continually mentioned who else lost players today (jets lost some too), but Saquon Barkley is out for NYG, and the other NFL teams are all picking up lots of injures, altho they didn't know how serious. Is this really what the NFL intended? Why do we usually have such a long OTA, extra workouts, TC, PS every yr.? To make money for owners? Well yes, but real reason is because it takes a lot of training, coordination, weight, sprints, more conditioning, and practice, practice, practice...to get ready for the 16 game slog.

It's not like MLB. This is big boy stuff and these amazing athletes deserve all the time they need to get ready for what must be the most vicious sport in the world , yr after yr. And now look...9ers decimated after 2 games. And we aren't the only ones. Radio announcers said this is league wide and they have never seen a yr with such league wide injuries.

So congrats NFL, you got your season....damn you.

oh and a big shout out to that piece of schidt, greg Williams. If he isn't sanctioned out of the NFL, it is a gross miscarriage of justice. Reports on radio Jimmy got hit every single play and almost all after ball was gone, and a lot of those were knee and below. I'll watch when I get to see the game, but it sure sounds like a Greg Williams hit job.

As for the NFL leadership, Goodell and the owners? You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. Morons, all.

Very well said pasodoc. I also can't recall a time when so many players have been injured all at once. Not just for a single team, but across the league. And honestly I can't remember a time when so many household names players have been hurt with serious injuries. Not just practice limiting dings and aggravations. Football is truly unlike other sports. I saw a comment about soccer a few posts up. And I just can't see the correlation. All sports require training and conditioning. But only one requires some of the biggest and strongest people around to physically battle and intentionally collide with one another. I've seen some brutal injuries in every sport at some point.
I would say though I've seen more players fake injury in some of the other major sports more than I've seen real injuries like NFL players deal with. Not saying they don't happen. It's unrealistic to ask these huge players to have near zero game conditioning before they are expected to play a real game. Of which there are only 16 games. Not like the other sports where you can lose and entire NFL season's amount of games and still be in position to win their respective championship. The games are worth so much more in the NFL Due to this fact.
The strain on the NFL body is just much greater. I mean they have something like 12 actual minutes of play a game? That alone shows you how brutal this sport is and how losing an off-season made all the difference in my opinion. Their bodies simply haven't been properly brought up to speed and we are seeing that in the form of historic amounts of injuries. Not stingers and bruises and tweaks. But major injuries. A lot of which require surgeries and long term rehab.
No mentions of the brand new turf? I mean let the field workers or whoever else come out and trot all over it if it's the 1st time,...not multi-million dollar players.

They're not overly concerned for their health,...and we already KNOW this. This game is a business. Owning an NFL team is simply another major asset in the portfolio to many owners.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 20, 2020 at 2:34 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:

Yep. Less exposure meant less chance of getting Covid. Owners only wanted it to make money they don't have to share with other owners. Either way Covid is what got the pre season cancelled.

And the nfl could careless about these guys who are injured. They just worried about that t.v. money. Especially being that no big name qb's have been hurt.

People love saying that but reality is they need these players healthy or they end up with an inferior product.

I see both sides. You can obviously still make a profit off an inferior product. The gains are much higher when you field a superior quality but in general fans will still be fans. I watched the niners just as much when we were terrible and I did when we were not. I think you have to look no further than Browns fans as a perfect example. They are somehow still turning a profit as an individual organization and for the NFL as a whole. And with NCAA being as big as it is now, there is no shortage of talent that is already semi well known ready to be infused each year. So it's not extremely far fetched to think that they may not care as much as we'd like about the players. After all this is the sport of "next man up"
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLifer300:

I see both sides. You can obviously still make a profit off an inferior product. The gains are much higher when you field a superior quality but in general fans will still be fans. I watched the niners just as much when we were terrible and I did when we were not. I think you have to look no further than Browns fans as a perfect example. They are somehow still turning a profit as an individual organization and for the NFL as a whole. And with NCAA being as big as it is now, there is no shortage of talent that is already semi well known ready to be infused each year. So it's not extremely far fetched to think that they may not care as much as we'd like about the players. After all this is the sport of "next man up"
Look how the game is played today vs the 80's. They've done a lot to protect players health to the detriment of the game IMO.
Originally posted by 49erLifer300:

Look how the game is played today vs the 80's. They've done a lot to protect players health to the detriment of the game IMO.

I would definitely agree with that as well. They most definitely have. Man I used to watch Young and Aikman take beatings. Crawl off the field getting so smashed. So they definitely have. Which is why I see both sides to that debate. I think there are two main reasons they made those rule changes. Both have to do with profit. The long term health care costs associated with taking care of extremely battered players is sky high. And the career expectancy of the greatest players back then wasn't nearly as long as it is on average today so trying to lengthen that obviously increases profit. Stars make money. So I do think they care about them. But I also think it's number one because of the profit. It's hard to say which one wins out. We would need 2 straight years of this type of season and off season to see what changes they would make and if those changes focused more on player safety overall or the profit margin. At least in my opinion.

And ppl will still watch. Have you seen the pro bowl ratings? Or this terrible Thursday night games ratings? Plenty of mediocre football being played right now. Unless it's a slew of star qb's they don't care. These injuries aren't hurting the bottom line
We're definitely seeing the impact of no OTA's/Mini camp and it sucks.
At the very least, if the NFL in all its "wisdom" ever has another season with a shortened practice, OTA, workouts, sprints, weight and practices followed by Pre season....they should jailed for sheer stupidity. This was not unexpected amongst many of my medical colleagues who are football fans. At least it was thot about with the long term fallout ( INJURIES), and most all i talked with felt like i did...DON'T do it.

So not predicted, but many who should know...worried about just this Very end result. The COVID was the reason, and it disrupted all our lives, our economy, our sports, schools, jobs, livelihoods. But it appears to be on the thresh hold of decimating the NFL. Way to go Goodell et al.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

And ppl will still watch. Have you seen the pro bowl ratings? Or this terrible Thursday night games ratings? Plenty of mediocre football being played right now. Unless it's a slew of star qb's they don't care. These injuries aren't hurting the bottom line

Truth is most of these owners were Billionaires before or have become since they've owned a team and don't really need the profit.
Most of these owners love the game, love winning and love their players.

• jcs
  • Veteran
At the very least, if the NFL in all its "wisdom" ever has another season with a shortened practice, OTA, workouts, sprints, weight and practices followed by Pre season....they should jailed for sheer stupidity. This was not unexpected amongst many of my medical colleagues who are football fans. At least it was thot about with the long term fallout ( INJURIES), and most all i talked with felt like i did...DON'T do it.

So not predicted, but many who should know...worried about just this Very end result. The COVID was the reason, and it disrupted all our lives, our economy, our sports, schools, jobs, livelihoods. But it appears to be on the thresh hold of decimating the NFL. Way to go Goodell et al.

Blame Goodall but don't ignore the reality that the NFLPA and players were actively pushing to eliminate the preseason this season and have been for decades, they got their wish and it's backfiring.

Truth is most of these owners were Billionaires before or have become since they've owned a team and don't really need the profit.
Most of these owners love the game, love winning and love their players.

Agree with you, but owners (most) are like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, in that they were billionaires many times over and yet, they continue to make billions. WHY? Because like the fable of the wasp telling the grasshopper if he carried him across the river, he wouldn't sting him. Wasp stung and killed the hopper half way across the river, and before dying hopper asked the wasp, "why did you kill me...and you too"? Wasp replied, "Because that's what i do"

Same for the owners. "It's what they do". It's like many of us worked our entire lives to be able to support a family , put kids thru school, make enough to retire shortly before you keel over. "It's what we do" . Many of the owners, however, live on an entirely different planet than the rest of us...or at least think they do. Making money is their sole object. I agree tho that there is also a lot of pride (that we peons) can't even imagine to having a SB winning team ,especially if they have won several.

Hell, even owning a NFL team is unimaginable to virtually all of us.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 20, 2020 at 3:19 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
It makes it so hard to be a fan when two games into the season the 49ers have lost their top QB, ER, CB, TE, WR and RB to injuries, some for the year.

This has solidified for me that even if the 49ers win the SB again it'll never be better than the 1994 season was for me. The style of the game has changed too much, and it's all about who isn't decimated by injury by the end of the year more than it is about bringing talent on to the roster.

What's the point of building a championship compeeting roster if those guys barely play?

I concur. When you have bad luck with injuries this many years in a row having people say all teams deal with injuries? Well they have to admit that some teams deal with way worse catastrophic injuries to good or elite players vs. others (which is the Niners every f**king year).
Originally posted by communist:
Here in Paso listened to this colossal disaster of a really good W...which is wiped out by the decimated roster at game's end.

NFL Covid season will not be remembered for the virus and all it caused...death, disability, destruction of our economy, destruction of some parts of society...but rather for the horrendous mistake of thinking they could skip OTAs, decr the amount of TC and other practices, skip the PS...and then play football. Welp, that all happened, but some idiot, probably the commish, saw the $$$ going away and gave his ok to the owners desires for a season.

But at what cost? Today on radio game they continually mentioned who else lost players today (jets lost some too), but Saquon Barkley is out for NYG, and the other NFL teams are all picking up lots of injures, altho they didn't know how serious. Is this really what the NFL intended? Why do we usually have such a long OTA, extra workouts, TC, PS every yr.? To make money for owners? Well yes, but real reason is because it takes a lot of training, coordination, weight, sprints, more conditioning, and practice, practice, practice...to get ready for the 16 game slog.

It's not like MLB. This is big boy stuff and these amazing athletes deserve all the time they need to get ready for what must be the most vicious sport in the world , yr after yr. And now look...9ers decimated after 2 games. And we aren't the only ones. Radio announcers said this is league wide and they have never seen a yr with such league wide injuries.

So congrats NFL, you got your season....damn you.

oh and a big shout out to that piece of schidt, greg Williams. If he isn't sanctioned out of the NFL, it is a gross miscarriage of justice. Reports on radio Jimmy got hit every single play and almost all after ball was gone, and a lot of those were knee and below. I'll watch when I get to see the game, but it sure sounds like a Greg Williams hit job.

As for the NFL leadership, Goodell and the owners? You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. Morons, all.
Sorry, soccer players play all year long, save for about 8 weeks. Save for the strength part, they have to be as agile as most football players.
It's the matter of the football physical staff in the first part to get the players more injury-prone, not that of the NFL.

soccer players are nowhere near as large as football players, nor do they crash full speed into each other on every play
Originally posted by communist:
Sorry, soccer players play all year long, save for about 8 weeks. Save for the strength part, they have to be as agile as most football players.
It's the matter of the football physical staff in the first part to get the players more injury-prone, not that of the NFL.

Soccer players aren't bashing other players as part of the game though.
Share 49ersWebzone