LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2020 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
He really showcased his arm strength on a bumbled snap on a fake screen throwing to Juice. It was an absolute laser 70 ft dowfield. Funny thing is, I watched Matt Ryan make the same throw 13 yards down field, did the match:
Jimmy's ball speed is 44.85 MPH
Matty Ice: 30.58 MPH

That's in game ball velocity

Where'd you find that (throw MPH)?

I adjusted the calculations a little after I took into account lateral distance. I got it by calculating the hypotenuse, recorded the throw, trimmed it to the moment of release and the moment of catch and got the time, used that to calculate distance the ball traveled over time(feet per second) then converted that to MPH.

Jimmy's was actually 47 MPH and Matt's 42.15 MPH

Really, JD? You're doing calculus now . That's next level right there. Good stuff!
Originally posted by FranchisePoster:
Originally posted by Thanos89:
I adjusted the calculations a little after I took into account lateral distance. I got it by calculating the hypotenuse, recorded the throw, trimmed it to the moment of release and the moment of catch and got the time, used that to calculate distance the ball traveled over time(feet per second) then converted that to MPH.

Jonnydel......you work for Nasa or what?

Mother f**king Good Will Hunting

😂😂 not quite, but thanks
He really showcased his arm strength on a bumbled snap on a fake screen throwing to Juice. It was an absolute laser 70 ft dowfield. Funny thing is, I watched Matt Ryan make the same throw 13 yards down field, did the match:
Jimmy's ball speed is 44.85 MPH
Matty Ice: 30.58 MPH

That's in game ball velocity

Where'd you find that (throw MPH)?

what did you go for school for exactly?
Originally posted by zugschef:

Saleh is again leaning on his CBs to man up while asking his safeties to take away the middle of the field. It looks like Cover2, but the safeties are pretty shallow and are not interested at all in providing help to the outside CBs. The increase in man coverage is a nice adjustment and playing to his roster's current strengths.
Well, except when it isn't. Leaving Allen all by himself is the reason why the defense got destroyed by a 37 year old career backup with throws that would've resulted in an interception vs. Verrett or Sherman.

This
Originally posted by FranchisePoster:
Originally posted by Thanos89:

Jonnydel......you work for Nasa or what?

Mother f**king Good Will Hunting

😂😂 not quite, but thanks

Johnny, if you saw bio dome there was a part where Pauly Shore said to the head scientist what do you think you're a rocket scientist or something and he said....well yeah I am. You're putting Rainman to shame right now. Thanks for the info and videos. I look forward to them more then the highlights every week
  • thl408

Just want to show how Jimmy did on his dropbacks in a short week with TNF coming. I haven't watched the 49ers defense vs SEA offense and may not.

After the game, I thought Jimmy played terribly. After glancing through the all22, my initial reaction is it wasn't as bad as I thought, maybe it's because I thought he played really bad - against a bad defense - but let's see together. He had 16 attempts, 3 sacks, 1 penalty (roughing passer) for a total of 20 dropbacks.

49ers using 22 personnel here but spread it out. 4 Verticals vs Tampa2. This is a good playcall.

Juice out side running a vertical isn't going to scare the green safety so Dwelley will be running the outside vertical. Coleman at the top and Dwelley get wide to threaten the sidelines and hold the two deep safeties. Orange pipe defender faces the strongside while dropping back.

This opens the area for Aiyuk.

+19. Good read, good throw. Ball could have come out a tick sooner.
  • thl408
Again with 22 personnel, spread out. 49ers saw something with this 22 personnel and opened the game with multiple plays in this grouping. Yellow + red are to vertically stretch any curl/flat defender.
SEA shows a pressure look placing the blue MIKE on the line.

SEA backs out into a soft Cover4. Blue MIKE has a long way to go to get to his middle underneath zone. Yellow curl/flat defender is stretched by Juice/Kittle and stays close to Juice. This opens Kittle's slant.

Good read, bad throw.
  • thl408
#3: 1st & 10
This is a play we've seen before. 49ers look to get an explosive play by leaking Dwelley out in a Trail. Red clears the area for Dwelley to come up from behind.

Playaction as Dwelley fakes a run block while running across to the other side of the field. The LB Juice is blocking sees the playaction and instead of dropping back into coverage, he rushes. This is becoming a common adjustment that defenses are making. Instead of trying to get into coverage after being fooled by playaction, the closest underneath defender will just rush the QB to not allow time for these long developing plays to materialize.

Aiyuk clears the area, Dwelley about to come open, but there's no time to wait for Dwelley, ball has to come out.

+8. Good result for a play well defended. Jimmy could have thrown it on trust of the play design. That would have been the optimal play.
good analysis.
  • thl408
1st & 10
49ers try the exact same play as above, but to the other side of the field. The reason is that instead of coming back to this play later in the game, trying it again this soon (same drive) prevents SEA from reviewing it on the sideline between drives.

This time it's Pettis running the clearing route.

But this time, SEA is in a Cover2, the orange CB is playing a flat zone and will not follow Pettis. That makes the orange CB in position to cover Dwelley.

Bad read, bad throw. Or is it a good throw? Because an accurate throw to Dwelley here gets INT'ed. So it's good that it was bad.

• thl408
To the left is a Cover 2 beater (variation of Smash).
To the right is Cover3 beater. By using a bunch formation, orange is given a free release, if Aiyuk can get the sideline deep 1/3 to turn, his Out route can win. Red clears the Hook defender for Yellow.

Jimmy takes the snap and looks to his left (Cover 2 beater). It's Cover3 so this is not the area to look. This might be planned because perhaps Jimmy is trying to get the middle safety to shade over to that side of the field. The middle safety is very disciplined and does not follow JImmy's eyes.

Jimmy looks to his right. Because the middle safety has stayed in the middle of the field, Bourne is covered.
Throwing right now to Aiyuk is an option with the CB in a slight bail, turned inwards.

Jimmy chooses to wait and target Kittle's pivot route. Kittle coming out of his break needs to flatten this route (yellow arrow). Instead, Kittle will turn too far upfield (did he slip?).

Good read, bad throw. Pass thrown behind. INT'ed. There's no reason for Kittle to purposely break this route upfield like that. It takes him directly into the Hook defender that Bourne helped clear out. So that doesn't help. Kittle should break this route parallel to the 15/16 yard line.
To the left is a Cover 2 beater (variation of Smash).
To the right is Cover3 beater. By using a bunch formation, orange is given a free release, if Aiyuk can get the sideline deep 1/3 to turn, his Out route can win. Red clears the Hook defender for Yellow.

Jimmy takes the snap and looks to his left (Cover 2 beater). It's Cover3 so this is not the area to look. This might be planned because perhaps Jimmy is trying to get the middle safety to shade over to that side of the field. The middle safety is very disciplined and does not follow JImmy's eyes.

Jimmy looks to his right. Because the middle safety has stayed in the middle of the field, Bourne is covered.
Throwing right now to Aiyuk is an option with the CB in a slight bail, turned inwards.

Jimmy chooses to wait and target Kittle's pivot route. Kittle coming out of his break needs to flatten this route (yellow arrow). Instead, Kittle will turn too far upfield (did he slip?).

Good read, bad throw. Pass thrown behind. INT'ed. There's no reason for Kittle to purposely break this route upfield like that. It takes him directly into the Hook defender that Bourne helped clear out. So that doesn't help. Kittle should break this route parallel to the 15/16 yard line.

to me it looks like kittle slipped when he realized Jimmy had thrown behind him and he tried to adjust to it. Kittle maybe shouldn't have broken his route, but that still an complete with a average pass from Jimmy G.
  • thl408
#6: 1st & 10
vs Cover 3
Curl/flat concept (orange + red) works well versus Cover3. Running it from a bunch could create a pick.

Four man rush. Three block a DE, one blocks a DT, one blocks a DT, no one blocks a DE. wtf
Bourne's route creates a nice pick on the curl/flat defender for Juice to be open in the flat.

Jimmy has to rush the throw and use a sidearm to prevent a possible blocked pass. Good read, bad throw. 15 yard roughing the passer, no play.
#6: 1st & 10
vs Cover 3
Curl/flat concept (orange + red) works well versus Cover3. Running it from a bunch could create a pick.

Four man rush. Three block a DE, one blocks a DT, one blocks a DT, no one blocks a DE. wtf
Bourne's route creates a nice pick on the curl/flat defender for Juice to be open in the flat.

Jimmy has to rush the throw and use a sidearm to prevent a possible blocked pass. Good read, bad throw. 15 yard roughing the passer, no play.

I think this is where Richburg will be most useful, because doesn't the center call the protections.... grasu being new maybe didn't call the right one. I could be wrong though.

This was the play where a ton of people were insisting that Bourne was open on that one freeze frame, except that there were only 9 defenders in the frame and you couldn't see if it was MOFC or MOFO
Share 49ersWebzone