LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2020 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Wow. You just cant blame the qb. How many of these disasters will spook you. Question was it reasonable for the coaching staff to give dwelley that assignment? It looks like he has absolutely no expectation of how to block in space. Has he done it before?

That OLB that ran by Dwelley on that play tossed Trent Williams on one of the first plays of the game. That's a tough assignment for Dwelley, or any TE.
Originally posted by thl408:
My guess is PFF keeps track of those kinds of stats, but I don't subscribe to it. There are teams that come in with a defensive gameplan to take away the middle of the field, and attacking outside the numbers or in the seams would be the right thing to do. I've seen Jimmy throw outside the numbers, mostly in 2017 when Goodwin had Jimmy's trust. I'm referring specifically to when the WR lines up outside the numbers and runs some sort of route along the sideline, not in-breaking routes like you mentioned (bolded, we see those often). That's what's missing from this offense. If I'm a CB and I see a 49er WR line up outside the numbers, I'm squatting on a Dig route until they can show me they will attack with Comebacks, deep curls, etc.

The 49ers will throw outside the numbers when they line up their WRs in a reduced split, but not when they line up outside the numbers. Aiyuk needs to provide that because Deebo and Bourne have not shown the ability to get open on those types of routes.

Versus the defensive fronts designed to take away outside zone runs, the 49ers have to show the ability to execute gap concepts that quickly try to get the RB to the second level and force the teams out of these 5 or 6 man fronts.

I agree on that play MIA showed Cover0, Jimmy should make them pay and give Aiyuk a chance to make a play. Aiyuk won his route and the separation was there. On those types of plays, the QB has to make up his mind presnap that he's going to give his WR a chance. 1v1 no safety help, go make play. That will force the defense to respect the sidelines. Or they could be like Saleh and not respect the sidelines...

Thanks thl, agreed. Good win last night! Tho still almost no attempts throwing to WRs when lined up outside, or attacking outside the numbers with WRs (except for the Aiyuk corner from a reduced split). Not sure if it's a Jimmy G or scheme thing, but hope we can incorporate some more variety soon with Aiyuk...
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Can't speak for him, but, 17/18 we'd like up in a 4-3 under/over, single safety and either be in C3 or C1 and our only disguise was if it was man or zone. Rarely blitzed and when we did they were simple blitzes. This year, we see a lot more shell look pre-snap, more exotic blitzes, more C2 and man usage. All this dies have to do with the W9 scheme change and run fits for safeties as well as a shift in our LB corps. We no longer carry on in line LB, we have stack backers across the board.

mind explaining Shanahan's scheme here compared to ATL's in the JG thread? you can explain it way better than I can.

if JG was the QB in ATL, with all shanny's weapons there, no doubt he'd be running a more vertical-stretch based passing attack compared to what we have here, no?
That OLB that ran by Dwelley on that play tossed Trent Williams on one of the first plays of the game. That's a tough assignment for Dwelley, or any TE.

oh if you wouldnt mind touching on that too

^^^ what i posted to jd above
My guess is PFF keeps track of those kinds of stats, but I don't subscribe to it. There are teams that come in with a defensive gameplan to take away the middle of the field, and attacking outside the numbers or in the seams would be the right thing to do. I've seen Jimmy throw outside the numbers, mostly in 2017 when Goodwin had Jimmy's trust. I'm referring specifically to when the WR lines up outside the numbers and runs some sort of route along the sideline, not in-breaking routes like you mentioned (bolded, we see those often). That's what's missing from this offense. If I'm a CB and I see a 49er WR line up outside the numbers, I'm squatting on a Dig route until they can show me they will attack with Comebacks, deep curls, etc.

The 49ers will throw outside the numbers when they line up their WRs in a reduced split, but not when they line up outside the numbers. Aiyuk needs to provide that because Deebo and Bourne have not shown the ability to get open on those types of routes.

Versus the defensive fronts designed to take away outside zone runs, the 49ers have to show the ability to execute gap concepts that quickly try to get the RB to the second level and force the teams out of these 5 or 6 man fronts.

I agree on that play MIA showed Cover0, Jimmy should make them pay and give Aiyuk a chance to make a play. Aiyuk won his route and the separation was there. On those types of plays, the QB has to make up his mind presnap that he's going to give his WR a chance. 1v1 no safety help, go make play. That will force the defense to respect the sidelines. Or they could be like Saleh and not respect the sidelines...

thl, Crocker seems to have a similar view as us. I loved the win last night and amazing scheme + game plan by Shanny... but at some point we'll need to be able to attack downfield once in awhile...
  • thl408
Originally posted by Patoranking:

thl, Crocker seems to have a similar view as us. I loved the win last night and amazing scheme + game plan by Shanny... but at some point we'll need to be able to attack downfield once in awhile...

I'm positive that what we saw vs the Rams is not how Kyle wants to call a game. There were special circumstances that forced him to limit downfield throws. Kyle didn't draft Aiyuk to throw him bubble screens and 5 yard curls.
Originally posted by Patoranking:

I'm positive that what we saw vs the Rams is not how Kyle wants to call a game. There were special circumstances that forced him to limit downfield throws. Kyle didn't draft Aiyuk to throw him bubble screens and 5 yard curls.

can you please reiterate this in the Jimmy thread? Lol. it's what I was trying to emphasize but your wording is better. they were all worried and concerned about the gameplan thinking it was only to protect Jimmy. or some of them were.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 19, 2020 at 12:43 PM ]
  • thl408

I may not get much time to cut things up this week so I'll add things here and there. I may concentrate on the defense because I thought they were the stars of the game. I assume jd will put out his video some time this week.

2Q 1st & 10
Rams show two high safeties, possibly Quarters coverage. This is a variation of Y-Cross, a flood concept to the weak side.

Rams rotate to Cover3, which makes this a good playcall versus the coverage. Playfake to Mostert.

At this point in the game, the end arounds, screen passes, and shovel passes have hit the Rams defense. Here comes Deebo on an end around. The four underneath zone defenders are highlighted. Check out the weakside defenders (reds). They are frozen and have to honor Deebo coming around for a possible handoff.

Compare the depth of the underneath defenders on the strongside (oranges) to the ones on the weakside (reds), mainly the two Hook defenders. Reds have been pulled towards the line with the fakes to Mostert and the threat of the handoff to Deebo. Huge window to throw to Bourne on the deep crosser.

+25. I always felt that using WRs for playaction would remove a route from the play and hurt the ability to stretch and skew zone defenses. Basically, five routes do a better job of stretching zones than anything less than 5 routes. Here's a play that dispels that.

I may not get much time to cut things up this week so I'll add things here and there. I may concentrate on the defense because I thought they were the stars of the game. I assume jd will put out his video some time this week.

2Q 1st & 10
Rams show two high safeties, possibly Quarters coverage. This is a variation of Y-Cross, a flood concept to the weak side.

Rams rotate to Cover3, which makes this a good playcall versus the coverage. Playfake to Mostert.

At this point in the game, the end arounds, screen passes, and shovel passes have hit the Rams defense. Here comes Deebo on an end around. The four underneath zone defenders are highlighted. Check out the weakside defenders (reds). They are frozen and have to honor Deebo coming around for a possible handoff.

Compare the depth of the underneath defenders on the strongside (oranges) to the ones on the weakside (reds), mainly the two Hook defenders. Reds have been pulled towards the line with the fakes to Mostert and the threat of the handoff to Deebo. Huge window to throw to Bourne on the deep crosser.

+25. I always felt that using WRs for playaction would remove a route from the play and hurt the ability to stretch and skew zone defenses. Basically, five routes do a better job of stretching zones than anything less than 5 routes. Here's a play that dispels that.

I feel like we're lucky they didn't call a hold on McG. He let go just in time, 20 more milliseconds and it would've been a flag...
  • thl408
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I feel like we're lucky they didn't call a hold on McG. He let go just in time, 20 more milliseconds and it would've been a flag...

It's about time the 49ers OL started pushing the envelope on holding.

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/nfl-offensive-holding-calls-plunge-56-so-far-in-2020
YEAR OFFENSIVE HOLDING TOTAL PENALTIES
2018 259 1,288 (16.51 per game)

2019 351 (+36% from 2018) 1,466 (18.79 per game)

2020 156 (-56% from 2019) 1,040 (13.51 per game)
[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 19, 2020 at 5:14 PM ]

Originally posted by the_dynasty:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-10-05/nfl-penalties-down-scoring-offense-up-2020
For instance, through the first three weeks of last season, there were 235 calls for offensive holding. Over the same span this season? Ninety-four.

That's how I feel, the Chiefs seem to get away with holding every play.
  • thl408
^^ oops I updated the article link to a more recent one.

These numbers are through week 5:
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/nfl-offensive-holding-calls-plunge-56-so-far-in-2020

[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 19, 2020 at 5:17 PM ]

YEAR OFFENSIVE HOLDING TOTAL PENALTIES
2018 259 1,288 (16.51 per game)

2019 351 (+36% from 2018) 1,466 (18.79 per game)

2020 156 (-56% from 2019) 1,040 (13.51 per game)

Sounds like NFL didnt want offenses to look like crap with tons of flags with no preseason. Usually it's offenses that look sloppy out of the gate, especially offensive lines.

I think the mix of the Rams's new DC and Aaron Donald, along with Jimmy having a bun ankle all played in to this. The new DC for LA is a Vic Fangio disciple, who is thr epitome of bend but don't break. From the broadcast it looked like a lot of soft shell like we used to see here with Fangio. They force underneath throws and if you're gonna go deep, you'll have to make it a long developing play which gives their pass rushers time to get home.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I think the mix of the Rams's new DC and Aaron Donald, along with Jimmy having a bun ankle all played in to this. The new DC for LA is a Vic Fangio disciple, who is thr epitome of bend but don't break. From the broadcast it looked like a lot of soft shell like we used to see here with Fangio. They force underneath throws and if you're gonna go deep, you'll have to make it a long developing play which gives their pass rushers time to get home.

It's pretty ironic that on Kittle score they went with no safety look and got burned badly
Share 49ersWebzone