LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 179 users in the forums

Niners sign WR Mohamed Sanu (again)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Let's be honest. If that was Sanu on that pass to the EZ and not another sub 6'0 Trent Taylor, that's a TD. If that was Sanu on the 4th down, probably a first down too. Trent Taylor is still wildly important but this is exactly why Kyle tried so hard to build a Big Slot. He's also tried extremely hard to find a deep speed X that could at least threaten the DB's. We still don't have that but that would have been very helpful for his underneath game last Sunday. Cards squatted all day.

EXACTLY. There are multiple plays that I see Sanu making in that game that would've been the difference. End zone to TT, end zone to Bourne, 4th down to TT.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I have no problem with it. Last year you had people upset that the 49ers didn't give up a 2nd for him. In his first game as a Patriot he had ten catches and then got hurt. If he can stay healthy, it's a good move.

Yup agreed.
Originally posted by badguy_1:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by badguy_1:
Sanu can't beat anyone anymore. The Pats cut him because he was the slowest player on the field and lacked any ability to separate.

Can you show me clips of him not being able to beat anyone or not separating last yr?

Last year doesnt really matter as much because he just had surgery this offseason.

This guy discusses his observations in training camp. FF to 1 minute in

and everyone in here thought Kin was a bust because of training camp chatter. again show me clips from actual game play (like you stated).

This Evan dude also talked about how N'Keal Harry was gonna have a breakout yr, dude looked like junk week 1
Originally posted by NinerGM:
All of this. Now that you mention it, the most successful Jimmy/Taylor game was against Chicago 2017 season. We had a healthy and more effective Goodwin in that game meant Bears couldn't just squat on routes. It would seem for all WR routes to be effective, someone needs to stretch the field, out muscle defenders, or run routes so crisply with a QB with near perfect timing/accuracy. Neither of that happened at all once Kittle was injured for a receiver standpoint and we've already reviewed Jimmy's performance.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Let's be honest. If that was Sanu on that pass to the EZ and not another sub 6'0 Trent Taylor, that's a TD. If that was Sanu on the 4th down, probably a first down too. Trent Taylor is still wildly important but this is exactly why Kyle tried so hard to build a Big Slot. He's also tried extremely hard to find a deep speed X that could at least threaten the DB's. We still don't have that but that would have been very helpful for his underneath game last Sunday. Cards squatted all day.

EXACTLY. There are multiple plays that I see Sanu making in that game that would've been the difference. End zone to TT, end zone to Bourne, 4th down to TT.

Now Kyle just needs to make sure he's accurate on when he deploys both. But this could help a lot.
KS was looking for a big slot WR since he got here(drafting of J.Hurd and J. Jennings). He finally got one in Sanu, let's see if he opens up another element of his playbook.
I think Sanu will help at least marginally. The dude had a career year in 2018. He battled an injury last year and didn't finish the season, but still put up 530 receiving yards.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by Jiks:
I'll give it a week until he's on crutches.

Maybe he'll be faster that way

OT, what are those things in the seats at the beginning?

Originally posted by Rathof44:

OT, what are those things in the seats at the beginning?

Electronic Technology, lol
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Can he play CB?
After reading other posts there are some valid points on Sanu so I'll back up a bit from my "he totally sucks" viewpoint. I guess he was cheap enough,he does have more experience than the 3 that played on Sunday, combined. Suppose to be a good blocker, can play right away.(*passing Covid protocol)

I was not one saying we needed to sign a receiver after Sunday and even with the WR play that went on we had a chance to win it late. I will admit I was glad when they went for it one 4th n goal but if they had kicked the FG then Gould would had a shot at the end to go up by 2 on the FG with a minute + and AZ's ball. Maybe the D holds,maybe not but either way we were right there with a chance to win.

With + Deebo/Aiyuk,maybe we would have been up 14,17 points,no way to know but I think we would have had more and an easy win.

I was disappointed in Taylor's play,not just the last down. It had been so long since I had seen him play I did think he was Welker #2 in the making but he was like pre-pre Welker 2. No need to write him off completely,it was his 1st game back after what 2 years,so we'll see by the end of the year.

It sucked to loose the opener but I figured we'd split with AZ,except each would win their home game.

If we could have that 4th down back I admit I would it rather had been Sanu than Taylor due to his size/experience,and where Taylor is right now coming off a 2 year play absence.

I suppose Sanu is/was the best affordable WR option as a stop gap until Deebo gets back and we see what Aiyuk has for real.

I would love for Sanu to light it up and prove my opinion of him to be completely off base.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I can agree for the most part. I harped on this fact ALL off-season when we were all in draft discussions. I said we ABSOLUTELY NEEDED a guy who could win the 1 on 1 battle OUTSIDE of the scheme. We need players who can go beyond the scheme and make plays when it's simply not working. Guys who are open even when covered. Threats no matter what the defense is doing.

Bourne, Taylor, Pettis, James -- none of them have proven to be like this. We'll see if Aiyuk's speed and catch radius make him that guy. Deebo has the physicality to win SOMEtimes but not consistently enough yet, honestly. And the way he plays makes him an injury risk, so I definitely worry about that.

We need more pure playmakers instead of settling for a bunch of solid-but-unspectacular guys. KB, Pettis, and Taylor all are guys who CAN make some plays, but they aren't going to take over a game. They can't straight up dominate on talent or natural gifts alone at some point.

I totally agree with you OnTheClock. But players like that are usually - not always, but usually - are physical big bodies. I have been banging the drum for us to draft/sign a physical big body, at least the Anquan Boldin types. But those types normally - but not always - tend to lack the things that Shanny demands from his WR - speed, versatility, polished route running (see Dez Bryant). Physical big bodies that possess all of that are pretty rare, and the one we do have is out for the season.

This is no knock against Shanny, just an observation. But in order for Shanny to bring in a guy like that he's gonna have to come out of his ego about his philosophy/vision on WR's. The types it seems he covets, the Deebo/Taylor/Pettis types, tend to be on the smallish, lighter side that don't stay healthy. And theses types normally - but not always - aren't 1-on-1 winners. These types are for the most part scheme dependent (I think Deebo can play in any scheme).

This is why deep down I really don't think the signing of Sanu was more of a Lynch thing than Shanny. I could be wrong, but it's just my feeling. Sanu, while he does ok hands and decent route running, he lack the speed, elusiveness, and versatility that Shanny really covets. So for me I cannot imagine that signing Sanu was Shanny's idea. I could definitely be wrong on that though. I think Shanny still has some growing pains when it comes to his vision and philosophy at the WR position.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The types it seems he covets, the Deebo/Taylor/Pettis types, tend to be on the smallish, lighter side that don't stay healthy.

The bigger guys are just as injury prone as the little guys. Jalen Hurd is huge and he's always hurt. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, etc. are literally always hurt. Megatron was one of the biggest WRs of all time, yet dude couldn't stay healthy. The belief that bigger, heavier WRs are more durable simply isn't true.

But I do agree that the "big body WR" people around here want does typically not possess the traits that Kyle Shanahan wants. Also, I'm pretty sure Kyle played a role in bringing Sanu to ATL, so he certainly had to have played a part here as well. Sanu has always been slow, but he used to have blazing quick feet. That coupled with his physicality and toughness made him a problem in the slot. He definitely fit what Kyle wanted in that slot.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone