LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Niners sign WR Mohamed Sanu (again)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
This signing won't make a difference. Sanu is washed

after we give appropriate blame to jimmy and his poor choices..... you can not really like the wide outs we rolled out there sunday. bourne gets a pass in my opinion. no one said he is the answer. but if the question is.... does he upgrade the current wide outs. then the answer is yes... once again another sign that pettis is done here. he had a chance and no matter how much blame you give jimmy... pettis is just not up to it in my opinion. cut him. sign butler or any other scrub you want and lets move forward
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the blocking thing is huge.. that has nothing to do with jimmy. did you see taylor try to block. good god
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Edges that Sanu has over Trent Taylor in the slot:

- Experience (including playoff XP)
- Size (Height/Catch radius)
- Blocking

WR position has turned into an utter personnel and coaching fail.

You know what is sad, with Sanu, if Larry Fitzgerald is on this team, Larry would be WR1. None of our WRs (even the injured ones) would be higher than a WR3 on any team in our division.

Woods
Kupp
Hopkins
Kirk
Locket
Metcalf

All these guys better than any of our WRS.

I like Metcalf's size,he is a beast, but he drops easy balls. I'd rather have Deebo and think he is and will be a better receiver than Metcalf over their career's.
I think Deebo will also be as good as some others on your list.

The WRs on that list can line up man to man and not rely on play design to make a play. Kirk is probably the only one that is questionable.

None of our WRs have shown they can will success over play design. Deebo is the closest, but I don't see him being the guy who makes the play Man to man when the designs aren't working.

I can agree for the most part. I harped on this fact ALL off-season when we were all in draft discussions. I said we ABSOLUTELY NEEDED a guy who could win the 1 on 1 battle OUTSIDE of the scheme. We need players who can go beyond the scheme and make plays when it's simply not working. Guys who are open even when covered. Threats no matter what the defense is doing.

Bourne, Taylor, Pettis, James -- none of them have proven to be like this. We'll see if Aiyuk's speed and catch radius make him that guy. Deebo has the physicality to win SOMEtimes but not consistently enough yet, honestly. And the way he plays makes him an injury risk, so I definitely worry about that.

We need more pure playmakers instead of settling for a bunch of solid-but-unspectacular guys. KB, Pettis, and Taylor all are guys who CAN make some plays, but they aren't going to take over a game. They can't straight up dominate on talent or natural gifts alone at some point.
Sean Connery: I'll take "Mohammed's anus peaks, for $100"
Trebek: "That's Mohammed Sanu speaks!"
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by badguy_1:
Sanu can't beat anyone anymore. The Pats cut him because he was the slowest player on the field and lacked any ability to separate.

Can you show me clips of him not being able to beat anyone or not separating last yr?

Last year doesnt really matter as much because he just had surgery this offseason.

This guy discusses his observations in training camp. FF to 1 minute in
[ Edited by badguy_1 on Sep 16, 2020 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This doesnt make sense for 2 main reasons.

1) He looked completely washed last season with New England and they cut him because they said his injury never got better.

2) We primarily play out of 21 personnel. 21 personnel does not have the position which Sanu plays.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Waste of a roster spot

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Meh

Sums this up

Feel the same
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This doesnt make sense for 2 main reasons.

1) He looked completely washed last season with New England and they cut him because they said his injury never got better.

2) We primarily play out of 21 personnel. 21 personnel does not have the position which Sanu plays.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Waste of a roster spot

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Meh

Sums this up

Feel the same

what do you guys want to do.. roll with our guys.. sunday showed we needed someone and with the unknowns in regards to deebo and even our rookie.... the team had to do something. people like pettis and thomas are waste of roster spots
Welcome.

Pretty solid No.2-WR who knows the system.
One week into the season and we've already signed a new receiver, put Sherman on the IR and Kittle is questionable fo the next game. Deebo still out and Aiyuk also questionable. I don't like the way this season is starting.
In heard in the late night Local sports update that he may not even be able to practice until Friday. Not sure if this is due to physicals/Covid testing. There's doubt he could even suit up this weekend.

Maybe he could visit Balco 💉to help get his jets back in time for next week.

Sanu is good for an average of 50-60 catches, 500-800 yards, and a few TDs a year. It's not like he's 35... He's 31 and was worth a shot to see if he can help us for dirt cheap.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sanu is good for an average of 50-60 catches, 500-800 yards, and a few TDs a year. It's not like he's 35... He's 31 and was worth a shot to see if he can help us for dirt cheap.
This.
Very experienced, knows the system. Was regarded as a pretty solid receiver a couple of years ago (in opposite to the ones who are non-injured right now). Cheap. Got no issues with dirty work.
--> why not?
Do we know how "cheap" he is yet?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
One week into the season and we've already signed a new receiver, put Sherman on the IR and Kittle is questionable fo the next game. Deebo still out and Aiyuk also questionable. I don't like the way this season is starting.

Sucks but could happen to any team at any time in this weird season. Then you have this Covid thing as a big unknown
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Did I say something wrong, I can't state the obvious, whats the problem??
The problem is you're trying to silence discussion (on a message board, no less) and your only reason for doing so is a paper-thin argument of "well, our coach likes him and our coach is a pro".

Kyle Shanahan is the same guy that drafted Dante Pettis.
Kyle Shanahan is the same guy that said he "stayed up all night stressing about the thought of missing out on Joe Williams".
Kyle Shanahan is the same guy that threw away a third round pick on CJ Beathard.

Yes, Shanahan is one of the most brilliant offensive minds of his generation. That doesn't mean he's infallible. I guess by your logic, we shouldn't ever question any move by any NFL front offices because they know better than us. Front offices make mistakes and poor decisions all the time, and it doesn't always require hindsight to see that. There are tons of red flags with Sanu, Shanahan taking a flyer on him is more of an indictment on our WRs being pathetic right now than an indication that he has anything left in the tank.
Share 49ersWebzone