LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

49ers signed Tavon Austin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Been a while since he's been above average at returns my man. When he entered the league he was pretty dynamic but the last few years he wishes he was as good as Richie James.

You can't be serious can you? James is nothing compared to Austin. The stats might show that James passes the eye test but it's completely obvious that Austin has much much better speed and much much better wiggle. I would think 90% of all 49er fans would agree that we are sick and tired of him fair catching the ball or running out of bounds.

I'll take Dante Pettis right now even if he has no contact courage at least he has the ability to do more than fair catch or run out of balance. I have a high standard for special teams and winning teams usually have a good returner

I'm 100% serious. James averaged almost a first down per return last year and I can't remember a single muffed punt. I'll take that over someone who averages under 5 yards a return but has a slightly better chance to take it to the house.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Whelp. He dead
I never expected him to make the team anyways, but it is a shame that he has become injured. Hope he heals up and can play again later this season or next year for someone.
Could have used his veteran presence
  • thl408
Been a while since he's been above average at returns my man. When he entered the league he was pretty dynamic but the last few years he wishes he was as good as Richie James.

You can't be serious can you? James is nothing compared to Austin. The stats might show that James passes the eye test but it's completely obvious that Austin has much much better speed and much much better wiggle. I would think 90% of all 49er fans would agree that we are sick and tired of him fair catching the ball or running out of bounds.

I'll take Dante Pettis right now even if he has no contact courage at least he has the ability to do more than fair catch or run out of balance. I have a high standard for special teams and winning teams usually have a good returner
Just looking at stats, Austin hasn't been a threat on punt returns since 2016. His punt return stats since then aren't special at all. Then he had a case of the muffs and lost his punt return job in 2017.

James had the 8th best average per return in 2019, and his longest return was for 32 yards, so he's consistent (no huge return to skew the average). James had one muffed punt in 2018 and one in the SB. He's pretty dependable as a punt returner imo and I'm fine with him being the guy in 2020. If Pettis can win it, great, but he's had a few muffs in his very limited chances (3 total muffs, 1 was in preseason).
Originally posted by thl408:

Just looking at stats, Austin hasn't been a threat on punt returns since 2016. His punt return stats since then aren't special at all. Then he had a case of the muffs and lost his punt return job in 2017.

James had the 8th best average per return in 2019, and his longest return was for 32 yards, so he's consistent (no huge return to skew the average). James had one muffed punt in 2018 and one in the SB. He's pretty dependable as a punt returner imo and I'm fine with him being the guy in 2020. If Pettis can win it, great, but he's had a few muffs in his very limited chances (3 total muffs, 1 was in preseason).

I guess I would rather have a guy regardless of his 3-5 yards worse per punt return stats like I said before, that has the ability to break one for a touchdown and change the game rather than a safe consistent guy, does absolutely nothing except fair catch them all or run out of bounds. Is 3-5 yards extra that important to people? I guess so

I think the best compromise would be to throw in Dante when we have a comfortable lead in some of these games so he gets more live reps. You would think he would be among the best in the league because he broke the all-time record in college. He has such great moves, he better take over this job because I am sick and tired of James doing absolutely garbage with the ball. Like I said before, I guess I have a higher standard than just somebody that's safe and consistent. Special teams as we all know can turn a game especially in close games
[ Edited by elguapo on Sep 4, 2020 at 9:52 AM ]
  • thl408

I guess I would rather have a guy regardless of his 3-5 yards worse per punt return stats like I said before, that has the ability to break one for a touchdown and change the game rather than a safe consistent guy, does absolutely nothing except fair catch them all or run out of bounds. Is 3-5 yards extra that important to people? I guess so

I'm putting more importance on ball security over the 1 touchdown return per year, if that. Where are you getting the bolded from? Is that your impression of James or are you talking about someone else?

James is the safe pick. Taylor too. Both will go down at first contact and usually upon the first guy down there but do have consistent fielding and know when to let it bounce over their heads.

It is frustrating when you see highlights every weekend of big time ST play and the first thing you hear in the Superbowl is "Pro bowl returner Mecole Hardman" and esp. given how none of the college returner stars we've had can't even sniff the field but that's the least of my concerns.

I'm putting more importance on ball security over the 1 touchdown return per year, if that. Where are you getting the bolded from? Is that your impression of James or are you talking about someone else?

It's not just the one touchdown a year it's the ability to break even longer punt returns then just walking out of bounds or fair catching the ball. I'm getting the bolded from actually watching the games. There's so many Niner fans that agree with this he just does nothing whatsoever with the ball in his hands. I want ball security as well but that should be almost a given. I know Austin hasn't been good as of late but he still has a lot of that speed and moves. Now he's injured so it's a moot point however I want Dante Pettis back there.

I just don't see how some fans don't want an electric returner that has the potential to be a lot more than James is. Do you really think James is even in the top 20 regardless of his stats? He just offers nothing imo. It's pretty easy to catch a punt and gain 5 yards walking forward.

Wouldn't you want to at least try Dante back there? James might have a better average than Dante however you can't even come close to comparing the two when it comes to returning punts.
[ Edited by elguapo on Sep 4, 2020 at 9:58 AM ]
  • thl408

It's not just the one touchdown a year it's the ability to break even longer punt returns then just walking out of bounds or fair catching the ball. I'm getting the bolded from actually watching the games. There's so many Niner fans that agree with this he just does nothing whatsoever with the ball in his hands. I want ball security as well but that should be almost a given. I know Austin hasn't been good as of late but he still has a lot of that speed and moves. Now he's injured so it's a moot point however I want Dante Pettis back there.

I just don't see how some fans don't want an electric returner that has the potential to be a lot more than James is. Do you really think James is even in the top 20 regardless of his stats? He just offers nothing imo. It's pretty easy to catch a punt and gain 5 yards walking forward.

Wouldn't you want to at least try Dante back there? James might have a better average than Dante however you can't even come close to comparing the two when it comes to returning punts.

The stats in no way back up what you said. James was tied for third in the league in number of punt returns. Makes sense when the defense kicks ass and forces lots of punts. So how often did he fair catch? 11 times, tied for 17th most in the league.

Yeah try Pettis back there. If he continues to muff punts, get him out of there. I don't want to be nervous watching a punt return. This offense can move the ball. They don't need a huge boost like say a Bears offense that is inept. Secure the ball and let the offense get to work.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punt-returns?sort=prfc

And don't imply that I don't want big punt returns. Who wouldn't? I just want ball security first and second and third.

Originally posted by NCommand:
James is the safe pick. Taylor too. Both will go down at first contact and usually upon the first guy down there but do have consistent fielding and know when to let it bounce over their heads.

It is frustrating when you see highlights every weekend of big time ST play and the first thing you hear in the Superbowl is "Pro bowl returner Mecole Hardman" and esp. given how none of the college returner stars we've had can't even sniff the field but that's the least of my concerns.

The stats in no way back up what you said. James was tied for third in the league in number of punt returns. Makes sense when the defense kicks ass and forces lots of punts. So how often did he fair catch? 11 times, tied for 17th most in the league.

Yeah try Pettis back there. If he continues to muff punts, get him out of there. I don't want to be nervous watching a punt return. This offense can move the ball. They don't need a huge boost like say a Bears offense that is inept. Secure the ball and let the offense get to work.

THIS! Thank you!

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punt-returns?sort=prfc

I don't know how many times I have to mention to you that the stats don't back that up like I said. I know this. I've known this for years now with James returning punts. My point is it's so disheartening to just be complacent with a guy that just does his job and provides nothing whatsoever. That is my point, I guess you missed my whole point. But that's OK.

I just know that if our return game improves over the guy that some of these Niner fans are ok with we are going to be the best team in the NFL. Until then our return game is just pathetic. I am not OK with that even though you may be or some other Niner fans may be. These guys are out there, and in my opinion we have one with Pettis.

Anyways, I'm done talking about this. It seems obvious that we need an upgrade but I guess we're OK with never having a good person back there since ted ginn to change the game in our favor while KC and other teams are at least trying to upgrade that part of their game.

I know most of us want a better return game including you, I'm just surprised people are supporting a guy that just catches the ball and doesn't screw up. To me that is not acceptable and a very low standard when it comes to improving the team.
[ Edited by elguapo on Sep 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM ]
  • thl408
I don't know how many times I have to mention to you that the stats don't back that up like I said. I know this. I've known this for years now with James returning punts. My point is it's so disheartening to just be complacent with a guy that just does his job and provides nothing whatsoever. That is my point, I guess you missed my whole point. But that's OK.

I just know that if our return game improves over the guy that some of these Niner fans are ok with we are going to be the best team in the NFL. Until then our return game is just pathetic. I am not OK with that even though you may be or some other Niner fans may be. These guys are out there, and in my opinion we have one with Pettis.

Anyways, I'm done talking about this. It seems obvious that we need an upgrade but I guess we're OK with never having a good person back there since ted ginn to change the game in our favor while KC and other teams are at least trying to upgrade that part of their game.

I know most of us want a better return game including you, I'm just surprised people are supporting a guy that just catches the ball and doesn't screw up. To me that is not acceptable and a very low standard when it comes to improving the team.

That's a whole bunch of nothing in your reply. Good talk.
It is a great talk, I'm surprised that your standard is so low that you want ball security first.....that is supposed to be a given for most teams and usually is. To even suggest that is ridiculous. Of course every team wants ball security but they also want to upgrade that. Tons of players can catch the ball and not fumble it, tons. And stating that we don't really need that much help like a team such as the Bears is just ridiculous. We needed that help in every game that we lost.
[ Edited by elguapo on Sep 4, 2020 at 10:24 AM ]
It seems like big punt returns are getting fewer all the time. The special teams are so good at coverage now, especially the gunners that there usually isn't a whole lot of space to maneuver when the returner gets the ball. Penalties for illegal blocks nullify half of them anyway.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It seems like big punt returns are getting fewer all the time. The special teams are so good at coverage now, especially the gunners that there usually isn't a whole lot of space to maneuver when the returner gets the ball. Penalties for illegal blocks nullify half of them anyway.

Rules changes on specal teams also may have something to do with that. I think moving the kicking spot further back/forward etc... option of going for it on 4th down vs kicking a fieldgoal (or something like that) I do remember there were a lot of special teams rules changes about a year or two back. Too lazy to research about it though.
Share 49ersWebzone