LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

It seems to me that we assemble our roster differently then other NFC West teams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After the Seachickens gave up a bushel of picks for Jamal Adams, their GM publicly stated that George Kittle, Kyler Murray and Robert Woods was one of the reasons that he traded for Adams. Same for LA Rams who traded for Jalen Ramsey and giving up multiple first round picks. The Seachickens had a perfectly serviceable Safety already in MacDougal. And the Rams also had a serviceable corner in Marcus Peters. But both teams deemed it necessary to go out and upgrade those positions. I have to think that stopping Kittle and Hopkins was big on their list of reasons for their respective trades. But all these teams seem to be reacting to the specific players on our roster and other team's roster.

ShanaLynch on the other hand don't do this. They haven't made any specific moves to counter the other team's personnel. They draft and trade base on what they want to do, and then let the rest of the Division figure it out. Even when they traded for Williams, it was to fill Staley's retirement and they only gave up a 3rd round pick. I like this mindset of ShanaLynch. Its like as though they are telling all the other teams "screw you", you try to stop us, we are just going to continue to do our thing. I think they are so confident in their abilities, they don't give a crap about who they face. They will figure out a way to overcome them. I think we are headed for good times.
It is up to others to try to catch up with us. We act, they react.
Originally posted by Vancouver49er:
After the Seachickens gave up a bushel of picks for Jamal Adams, their GM publicly stated that George Kittle, Kyler Murray and Robert Woods was one of the reasons that he traded for Adams. Same for LA Rams who traded for Jalen Ramsey and giving up multiple first round picks. The Seachickens had a perfectly serviceable Safety already in MacDougal. And the Rams also had a serviceable corner in Marcus Peters. But both teams deemed it necessary to go out and upgrade those positions. I have to think that stopping Kittle and Hopkins was big on their list of reasons for their respective trades. But all these teams seem to be reacting to the specific players on our roster and other team's roster.

ShanaLynch on the other hand don't do this. They haven't made any specific moves to counter the other team's personnel. They draft and trade base on what they want to do, and then let the rest of the Division figure it out. Even when they traded for Williams, it was to fill Staley's retirement and they only gave up a 3rd round pick. I like this mindset of ShanaLynch. Its like as though they are telling all the other teams "screw you", you try to stop us, we are just going to continue to do our thing. I think they are so confident in their abilities, they don't give a crap about who they face. They will figure out a way to overcome them. I think we are headed for good times.

Yeah, we'll have to see how it goes now. Back in the day, the Niners and Cowboys were constantly in a dog fight to steal each other's players (Norton, Deion, Haley, etc.) to weaken them and make yourself stronger. It worked each time too. Saints stole Emmanuel Sanders from us.

When rosters get very even, sometimes that one move is all the difference.

We'll see how it ends with Sanders, Hopkins and Adams in the NFC and NFCW.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 3, 2020 at 6:19 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Do you seriously think that signing Dee Ford and Kwon Alexander didn't have anything to do with Russell Wilson? We also brought in Richard Sherman. Yes we didn't give up a lot of draft capital like our counterparts but it's not as if we didn't spend the money on players with our divsiion rivals(and others) in mind.

Also, keep in mind you get what you pair for is a real thing. We got discount rates (draft capital wise) on our oft-injured players. And they only played like half the season.
Originally posted by krizay:
Do you seriously think that signing Dee Ford and Kwon Alexander didn't have anything to do with Russell Wilson? We also brought in Richard Sherman. Yes we didn't give up a lot of draft capital like our counterparts but it's not as if we didn't spend the money on players with our divsiion rivals(and others) in mind.

Also, keep in mind you get what you pair for is a real thing. We got discount rates (draft capital wise) on our oft-injured players. And they only played like half the season.

We got Ford because we absolutely needed a pass rusher. We got Sherman because we absolutely needed a corner. We got Alexander because we absolutely needed a replacement for Foster

Our pass rush wasn't that good, our secondary wasn't either and we just lost a linebacker with a s**t load of talent because he's a moron. We needed these upgrades to make our team better not to stop Russell Wilson in general. Of course anytime a team upgrades at positions, it can be viewed as a reaction to any type of great opposing player or team/teams in the division.

I guess I could say Seattle got Clowney to try to stop Jimmy Garoppolo's quick release but that doesn't necessarily make it true
[ Edited by elguapo on Aug 3, 2020 at 8:56 AM ]
we load up on pass rush, that's step 1

everything else is kinda random. other nfc west teams then try to play catch up, i.e. jamal adams for defending kittle, which is funny cuz adams can't run with kittle
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:

We got Ford because we absolutely needed a pass rusher. We got Sherman because we absolutely needed a corner. We got Alexander because we absolutely needed a replacement for Foster

Our pass rush wasn't that good, our secondary wasn't either and we just lost a linebacker with a s**t load of talent because he's a moron. We needed these upgrades to make our team better not to stop Russell Wilson in general. Of course anytime a team upgrades at positions, it can be viewed as a reaction to any type of great opposing player or team/teams in the division.

I guess I could say Seattle got Clowney to try to stop Jimmy Garoppolo's quick release but that doesn't necessarily make it true

AGree. To get to the playoffs, and to have any shot at the Lombardi #6, you have to be strong *overall* and not just against your Division Rivals. However I'll just add to your last point that to get to the playoffs you have to be the division champion, and that means beating your division rivals twice in a year. (almost 40% of the season is games with division rivals) Whereas, when was the last time we played the Patriots in the AFC? I think the last time was around Chip Kelly's tenure. In other words, you *do* have to game plan your division rivals into your offseason strategy - but you do it in such a way that you also have to plan on playing the rest of the NFL in general. It's not an either/or kind of strategy, it's both.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by elguapo:

AGree. To get to the playoffs, and to have any shot at the Lombardi #6, you have to be strong *overall* and not just against your Division Rivals. However I'll just add to your last point that to get to the playoffs you have to be the division champion, and that means beating your division rivals twice in a year. (almost 40% of the season is games with division rivals) Whereas, when was the last time we played the Patriots in the AFC? I think the last time was around Chip Kelly's tenure. In other words, you *do* have to game plan your division rivals into your offseason strategy - but you do it in such a way that you also have to plan on playing the rest of the NFL in general. It's not an either/or kind of strategy, it's both.

Yeah you made a better point than me for sure I agree on all accounts. Perfectly stated

We need a Super Bowl so bad it's not even funny. Two heartbreaking losses is enough. Jimmy is only going to get better and imagine now going forward he's actually going to have wide receivers that are consistent and reliable. He also has that humongous hunk of a man at left tackle which is an upgrade in my opinion even though I love Staley.

The fact that we have Trent Taylor back and McKinnon will help Jimmy if there is pressure in his face right away like there so often times is. Let's just hope a few of the players coming back from injury will stay healthy
[ Edited by elguapo on Aug 3, 2020 at 10:18 AM ]
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
It's simple. Shanahan knows his system and thinks if he gets the right guys for it, other coaches won't be able to stop it. He gets players for what he wants rather than what specifically could counter opponents.

Shanahan can also make new plays to counter opponents. It's advantage of being the architect of a system rather than an understudy (McVay).
  • thl408

I think the only move that was made to specifically counter the 49ers was SEA getting JAdams. I think the Ramsey trade was mainly to build up hype for the Rams to secure season ticket holders as they move into a new stadium. ARI got Hopkins because who doesn't want a free xmas gift in the middle of spring? ARI did draft an athletic LB early round 1 this recent draft, and we could attribute that to defending Kittle.

I don't think building a roster with the idea of winning the division is a new, or bad concept. A GM has their vision of team building then edits things to better compete with the top team(s) in their division. I predict that if ARI becomes a player in this division, we'll see the 49ers start loading up on CBs. It would help the 49ers compete against ARI and SEA, who has assembled a nice WR corp.

Originally posted by thl408:
I think the only move that was made to specifically counter the 49ers was SEA getting JAdams. I think the Ramsey trade was mainly to build up hype for the Rams to secure season ticket holders as they move into a new stadium. ARI got Hopkins because who doesn't want a free xmas gift in the middle of spring? ARI did draft an athletic LB early round 1 this recent draft, and we could attribute that to defending Kittle.

I don't think building a roster with the idea of winning the division is a new, or bad concept. A GM has their vision of team building then edits things to better compete with the top team(s) in their division. I predict that if ARI becomes a player in this division, we'll see the 49ers start loading up on CBs. It would help the 49ers compete against ARI and SEA, who has assembled a nice WR corp.

The Niners are going to have to load up on CBs regardless because mostly all of them are going to be free agents after this season.
Originally posted by DaBum:
It's simple. Shanahan knows his system and thinks if he gets the right guys for it, other coaches won't be able to stop it. He gets players for what he wants rather than what specifically could counter opponents.

Shanahan can also make new plays to counter opponents. It's advantage of being the architect of a system rather than an understudy (McVay).

Spot on, nice post DaBum. And kyle is definitely the architect rather than the understudy.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by thl408:

The Niners are going to have to load up on CBs regardless because mostly all of them are going to be free agents after this season.

True.
That's the Bill Walsh philosophy. I forget the exact quote, but it something like "We don't change what we're doing depending on what the other teams strength and weaknesses are. We are coming to play our game and they have to stop us."
Share 49ersWebzone