There are 212 users in the forums

2020 49ers Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not optimistic about it happening. i dont see much change in the virus from today till then.
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Not optimistic about it happening. i dont see much change in the virus from today till then.

Not when they're predicting as many as 100,000 new cases per day by the end of July. The more cases the faster it spreads, especially when many people still won't wear a mask.
aint happening. Sorry guys.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

Not when they're predicting as many as 100,000 new cases per day by the end of July. The more cases the faster it spreads, especially when many people still won't wear a mask.
The lockdowns were meant to slow (but not stop) the plague. It was meant to help the hospitals, not so much the people.

I think the Stanford study basically said, once it hit 1% or 2% of the population being infected, contact tracing and quaranteening wasn't going to stop this virus.

This kind of thing has been predicted since the early 2000's at the turn of the century, because of air travel, and human movement. We wouldn't have had this problem when the Soviet union was still alive, simply because of a lack of global air travel back. Now we have to figure out several things, a vaccine for this, and somehow put something in place to make this from occurring again, and how to have an NFL season despite the virus. All but one of them, seem to be years away from being solved.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Don't look like it's gonna happen.
Originally posted by Giedi:
The lockdowns were meant to slow (but not stop) the plague. It was meant to help the hospitals, not so much the people.

I think the Stanford study basically said, once it hit 1% or 2% of the population being infected, contact tracing and quaranteening wasn't going to stop this virus.

This kind of thing has been predicted since the early 2000's at the turn of the century, because of air travel, and human movement. We wouldn't have had this problem when the Soviet union was still alive, simply because of a lack of global air travel back. Now we have to figure out several things, a vaccine for this, and somehow put something in place to make this from occurring again, and how to have an NFL season despite the virus. All but one of them, seem to be years away from being solved.

I heard 2 different doctors last night saying that we basically have lost any chance to stop this thing. We now just have to try and contain it as much as possible but they both felt we will see many more cases and deaths before we get a vaccine. One epidemiologist said this virus attacks our body the way vaccines attack a virus. When creating vaccines, scientists look for weak points in the structure of the virus. This virus seem to look for weak spots in our body which is why it's more dangerous than the flu. If you are diabetic and have reduced kidney function then it attacks the kidneys. Bad heart. Same thing. It's why the people who are most likely to have serious problems are those with underlying conditions. Unfortunately, many people don't know they have some of these conditions.

There is no guaranty this won't happen again. New viruses are always popping up and with increased population it makes it more likely. The best thing they can do is strengthen health organizations and research so they can handle it better. This virus is similar to the SARS virus. We were searching for a vaccine for that several years ago when that thing popped up but they were able to contain it so they stopped the research. If they had kept up the research we may have had a vaccine that could have been modified to use against COVID-19. Let's hope the world learns a lesson from this.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jul 2, 2020 at 1:01 PM ]
A lot of countries have managed to get the virus under control or at least contain it. It doesn't make sense to me why people talk like there is nothing that can be done when a lot of places that aren't the US have managed to do things to prevent the spread of the virus and reduce the loss of life.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Agreed. The NFL is a business and the last thing owners want are players suing the league because they didn't mitigate infections in their workplace. And waivers aren't going to cut it.
On principles I cannot disagree with that. But think about this: that's the way financially set veterans and guys with tons of guaranteed money see it. But that's not the rank and file NFL player. Most of those guys cannot afford to not play. This is why I'm guaranteeing that there will be an NFL season with only some preseason games canceled. And they will figure out a way to socially distance the crowd. If the owners present the players union with some kind of waiver, or some guarantees should they get the virus, the players union will vote to play. (Keep in mind, we are talking about THE weakest, least unified workers union this nation has ever seen to date. They have the greatest product in all of America's television entertainment yet they simply will not leverage it. I've never seen a workers union with so little backbone. It's pretty pathetic, IMHO.)

But anyway, unless the federal government or state legislatures forces NFL owners hands I really think there's gonna be a season and the players union aren't gonna do anything about it beyond complaints on social media.
I don't care much at this point. It is what it is. They'll be able to proceed sometime whenever that is.
Originally posted by JimmyWhy:
A lot of countries have managed to get the virus under control or at least contain it. It doesn't make sense to me why people talk like there is nothing that can be done when a lot of places that aren't the US have managed to do things to prevent the spread of the virus and reduce the loss of life.

Other Countries had strict lockdowns, and for the most part people obeyed. Here, people have politicized the virus. Have failed to comply with safety measures. Just a poor response... top to bottom. That's been the difference between the U.S. and the counties that have extinguished (for the most part) the pandemic.

It may be a fall without sports. At this point, it would be for the best.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
The numbers are inflated, we have more resources for testing than other places in the world so of course we are going to have more confirmed cases than say a 3rd world country. Also hospitals are getting paid per covid death so anyone that dies they test and if they test positive then they label it a covid death which is not always the case.

The numbers are more likely under reported than inflated. We aren't doing more testing than any other place. We are way behind many countries in the world. Many places in the U.S. still don't have adequate testing and the tests are unreliable. Instead of having one standardized test that is proven to work we have a patchwork of several different tests some of which are less than 50% accurate. We are seeing many more positive cases than other developed countries around the world.

If you just admitted that the testing is less then 50% accurate then how can you rely on the numbers that are being fed to you? Lol

Think about it..

And you feel "This is the greatest crisis most of us will face in our lifetime both health wise and economically."...

It's possible economically, You shut the world down, yea that's gonna f**k up the world economics big time, but health wise?? Hmmm, I don't buy that at all..

I know your concerned about this heathwise because every single one of your posts every day you list your concerns, and that's your right.. I refuse to allow a glorified flu to control my life.
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Jul 2, 2020 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Agreed. The NFL is a business and the last thing owners want are players suing the league because they didn't mitigate infections in their workplace. And waivers aren't going to cut it.
On principles I cannot disagree with that. But think about this: that's the way financially set veterans and guys with tons of guaranteed money see it. But that's not the rank and file NFL player. Most of those guys cannot afford to not play. This is why I'm guaranteeing that there will be an NFL season with only some preseason games canceled. And they will figure out a way to socially distance the crowd. If the owners present the players union with some kind of waiver, or some guarantees should they get the virus, the players union will vote to play. (Keep in mind, we are talking about THE weakest, least unified workers union this nation has ever seen to date. They have the greatest product in all of America's television entertainment yet they simply will not leverage it. I've never seen a workers union with so little backbone. It's pretty pathetic, IMHO.)

But anyway, unless the federal government or state legislatures forces NFL owners hands I really think there's gonna be a season and the players union aren't gonna do anything about it beyond complaints on social media.

Do they still get checks if no games due to non-discipline or contract issues? I can see the rank-and-file guys not being able to afford is some, but if you played last year, even practice squad. Also I can't see teams leaving folks completely high and dry. There's so much money in the NFL, I just can't see them not offering players something.

I agree they generate a ton of entertainment, I just don't see how other than TV you generate revenue - and even then - I guess you could pull it off with constant player testing (that they do for substance anyways). The crazy part is what if someone tests positive mid-season. They're out for two games! That's would be a wild scenario. Hopefully the NFL agrees to expand rosters particularly if whole units are out for 2 weeks.

In any event, wild times ahead.

Not really sure on the rules of non-disciplined missed games. I would imagine that only guaranteed money would be paid out, but don't quote me on that. But make no mistake about it, teams aren't gonna do anything - or will do very little - beyond what they are contractually obligated to do. I can't say for sure but I doubt very seriously that contracts have this kind of scenario is commonly covered in their contracts. This is precisely why players all over the league are holding their own workouts, COVID-19 be damned. They know full well that the owners are gonna move forward with the season, so they're doing all they cant to prepare themselves, no matter the risk.
I really can't imagine there is going to be a season, at least not a full one.

I live in Texas and they're a disaster right now with cases, no way Cali is gonna just open up in a month or two and let football start lol
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Not really sure on the rules of non-disciplined missed games. I would imagine that only guaranteed money would be paid out, but don't quote me on that. But make no mistake about it, teams aren't gonna do anything - or will do very little - beyond what they are contractually obligated to do. I can't say for sure but I doubt very seriously that contracts have this kind of scenario is commonly covered in their contracts. This is precisely why players all over the league are holding their own workouts, COVID-19 be damned. They know full well that the owners are gonna move forward with the season, so they're doing all they cant to prepare themselves, no matter the risk.

Part of my job is to negotiate purchase and sale agreements (contracts) to purchase commercial real estate at work - our normal contracts didn't have clauses for issues such as Covid. We had to add the language in back in mArch, but none of our already executed contracts had it
In my Jim Mora voice " Training camp? Training camp? I'm just hoping we can play a game this year."
Share 49ersWebzone