There are 149 users in the forums

2020 49ers Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
The numbers are inflated, we have more resources for testing than other places in the world so of course we are going to have more confirmed cases than say a 3rd world country. Also hospitals are getting paid per covid death so anyone that dies they test and if they test positive then they label it a covid death which is not always the case.

The numbers are more likely under reported than inflated. We aren't doing more testing than any other place. We are way behind many countries in the world. Many places in the U.S. still don't have adequate testing and the tests are unreliable. Instead of having one standardized test that is proven to work we have a patchwork of several different tests some of which are less than 50% accurate. We are seeing many more positive cases than other developed countries around the world.

If you just admitted that the testing is less then 50% accurate then how can you rely on the numbers that are being fed to you? Lol

Think about it..

And you feel "This is the greatest crisis most of us will face in our lifetime both health wise and economically."...

It's possible economically, You shut the world down, yea that's gonna f**k up the world economics big time, but health wise?? Hmmm, I don't buy that at all..

I know your concerned about this heathwise because every single one of your posts every day you list your concerns, and that's your right.. I refuse to allow a glorified flu to control my life.

I'm with you on this plague not controlling your mind and your life. Totally agree. However, you have to also be prudent and - if possible - protect yourself as much as possible. Like the car seatbelt, most folks put it on (yes the law requires it) but also because it will give you a higher chance of survival if something unexpected happens. Now, people don't drive around in a Battle Tanks but some folks seem to think that should be the future in dealing with this plague. Folks driving around in battle tanks simply isn't economically feasible for the common ordinary population. The answer lies in the balance between risk of getting the virus and going about your daily tasks that need to be done to survive (i.e. make money) and in the case of the football players, that's to play the game. I think the balance point is somewhere *more* towards playing than not playing, in my opinion. I think that is where the sweet spot is. In other words, I think the NFL should still do their best to *have* an NFL season despite the virus risks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
25 days
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I heard 2 different doctors last night saying that we basically have lost any chance to stop this thing. We now just have to try and contain it as much as possible but they both felt we will see many more cases and deaths before we get a vaccine. One epidemiologist said this virus attacks our body the way vaccines attack a virus. When creating vaccines, scientists look for weak points in the structure of the virus. This virus seem to look for weak spots in our body which is why it's more dangerous than the flu. If you are diabetic and have reduced kidney function then it attacks the kidneys. Bad heart. Same thing. It's why the people who are most likely to have serious problems are those with underlying conditions. Unfortunately, many people don't know they have some of these conditions.

There is no guaranty this won't happen again. New viruses are always popping up and with increased population it makes it more likely. The best thing they can do is strengthen health organizations and research so they can handle it better. This virus is similar to the SARS virus. We were searching for a vaccine for that several years ago when that thing popped up but they were able to contain it so they stopped the research. If they had kept up the research we may have had a vaccine that could have been modified to use against COVID-19. Let's hope the world learns a lesson from this.

For sure, research and development is going to be a big deal in solving this problem. I agree. Having said that, we've come far in four or so months since the inception of this plague. We've learned a lot about it. First and most important of all is the fatality rate - it just keeps going down. Yes, it's higher than the flu fatality rate, but *not significantly much more* than the flu, it hits the old, and as you mentioned above - it hits those with prior sickness the hardest. So we'll continue to learn about it - it's not just us that are focused on defeating this, the Japanese, Taiwan, Europe, the entire West, the indo pacific -- are are interconnected and exchanging research. What we know so far is that I think we have enough in the tool kit to resume life almost as normal as can be with a couple of changes (social distancing and mask wearing). I think that should *safely* (whatever that means) allow us to have an NFL season - without too many fatalities. Keep in mind, football itself isn't totally free of risk. You can die from football collisions too (ruptured arteries, concussions causing permanent brain damage causing suicide , heart attacks due to impact stress etc...) yet they continue to keep playing the sport.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
25 days

25 days

woooooooooooooooo
Originally posted by Giedi:
For sure, research and development is going to be a big deal in solving this problem. I agree. Having said that, we've come far in four or so months since the inception of this plague. We've learned a lot about it. First and most important of all is the fatality rate - it just keeps going down. Yes, it's higher than the flu fatality rate, but *not significantly much more* than the flu, it hits the old, and as you mentioned above - it hits those with prior sickness the hardest. So we'll continue to learn about it - it's not just us that are focused on defeating this, the Japanese, Taiwan, Europe, the entire West, the indo pacific -- are are interconnected and exchanging research. What we know so far is that I think we have enough in the tool kit to resume life almost as normal as can be with a couple of changes (social distancing and mask wearing). I think that should *safely* (whatever that means) allow us to have an NFL season - without too many fatalities. Keep in mind, football itself isn't totally free of risk. You can die from football collisions too (ruptured arteries, concussions causing permanent brain damage causing suicide , heart attacks due to impact stress etc...) yet they continue to keep playing the sport.
You are right but unfortunately we still have a lot of people that don't social distance or wear masks. As soon as states started opening up again too many folks thought that was the all clear signal. Now cases are higher than ever and businesses are having to shut down again. If we had just worn the masks and not gathered in large groups we might be okay.

I saw a graph last night that showed us vs Europe. Around April 21 we both had the same number of daily cases. They shut down about 95% of their businesses. We shut down less than 60%. They were slower to reopen than us so now we are getting 50,000 new cases per day and they are getting less than 5000. I hate this crap as much as anyone but we have to face the facts and take every precaution we can so we can get back to a somewhat normal life. Pretending it's going to go away in a month or 2 and ignoring requirements to wear masks is only going to prolong the problem. Until we get a vaccine it's necessary to protect each other.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
You are right but unfortunately we still have a lot of people that don't social distance or wear masks. As soon as states started opening up again too many folks thought that was the all clear signal. Now cases are higher than ever and businesses are having to shut down again. If we had just worn the masks and not gathered in large groups we might be okay.

I saw a graph last night that showed us vs Europe. Around April 21 we both had the same number of daily cases. They shut down about 95% of their businesses. We shut down less than 60%. They were slower to reopen than us so now we are getting 50,000 new cases per day and they are getting less than 5000. I hate this crap as much as anyone but we have to face the facts and take every precaution we can so we can get back to a somewhat normal life. Pretending it's going to go away in a month or 2 and ignoring requirements to wear masks is only going to prolong the problem. Until we get a vaccine it's necessary to protect each other.

I read a chinses study (sorry no link, and I'd take anything from china with a grain of salt) where they had on video a bus trip of 5 hours, and this was prior to mask wearing, where the folks in the bus (approximately 30+ people) were in the bus and about 5 to 10 people were infected by this *one* person. They had the passenger manifest and also a video tape of the entire 5 hour trip. So out of the 30 people (nobody had masks on this trip) only 10 were infected in the entire 5 hour trip, and ironically the ones that were infected were quite a distance (5 or more seats) from the only infected Covid19 passenger. Several of the passengers sitting next to the infected person never got infected or come down with the disease. The study said something about how the air conditioning ventilation system circulated the air.

Anyway, my point is that I think (as you said) mask wearing and social distancing should allow fans in the stadiums to be safe in attending games, and the players themselves are (1) young (2) in good health (3) it would be a rarity for them to have any underlying medical conditions (4) we have good therapeutics if they do get sick (5) we don't have hospitals that are stretched to the limit and we do have surge capacity in ventilators and hospital beds. As you said, as long as fans stay disciplined and wear masks and social distance - I think the risk for the players and the fans can be minimized to a very large extent. In that sense, I think the NFL *should* allow the NFL season to continue. In addition, as individuals and as fans, you can further decrease your risk of getting the virus by taking vitamin C and D, and get good sleep before and after games, getting good exercise and eating healthy, bring your own meals, and hand sanitze on top of the mask wearing and social distancing.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Unfortunately, we have more problems than that. There now is a sharp divide between the guys and gals on the front lines RXing Covid cases as hey come in.But there is sharp disagreement on how we should.be treating the sickest of these patients. Only someone in extremis gets a ventilator and that is only to save his/her life. The divide comes up in use of the ventilators. Virtually half the front line docs feel the lungs are inelastic and "bound down" and as such feel IPPB (intermittent positive pressure machines) should be run at high pressure. The other group of docs feel that the lungs are more elastic and not bound down, and should have O2 run in at lower pressure.

Some docs think running the IPPB ventilators at high pressure may add to damage of the alveolar lining. Others feel not. But as an outsider looking in, this is basic science and if they have to biopsy the lungs of the next 30 patients who come in their doors then they should do it. See if the alveoli are pliable or are they rock hard. Once the basic science is known, then they will know for sure whether to run IPPB at high...or low pressure.

It is a bit disconcerting to find out at this late date they actually hav no idea whether the alveoli are rock hard or pliable and therefore that will tell them whether to run ventilators at high or low pressure. That's bad news to be having this conversation this late in the game.

Still...better late than never.

Altho given that 80% of patients who went on ventilators in NYC died, maybe now we have an idea why. Could the ventilator pressures been way off either too high ...or too low? That could go a long way to understanding how 80% of those on ventilators died.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 3, 2020 at 10:33 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
24 days
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
25 days

• Giedi
  • Veteran
24 days

Won't start on time, at least not on field stuff. Virtual if anything
24 days

woooooooooooooooo
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Unfortunately, we have more problems than that. There now is a sharp divide between the guys and gals on the front lines RXing Covid cases as hey come in.But there is sharp disagreement on how we should.be treating the sickest of these patients. Only someone in extremis gets a ventilator and that is only to save his/her life. The divide comes up in use of the ventilators. Virtually half the front line docs feel the lungs are inelastic and "bound down" and as such feel IPPB (intermittent positive pressure machines) should be run at high pressure. The other group of docs feel that the lungs are more elastic and not bound down, and should have O2 run in at lower pressure.

Some docs think running the IPPB ventilators at high pressure may add to damage of the alveolar lining. Others feel not. But as an outsider looking in, this is basic science and if they have to biopsy the lungs of the next 30 patients who come in their doors then they should do it. See if the alveoli are pliable or are they rock hard. Once the basic science is known, then they will know for sure whether to run IPPB at high...or low pressure.

It is a bit disconcerting to find out at this late date they actually hav no idea whether the alveoli are rock hard or pliable and therefore that will tell them whether to run ventilators at high or low pressure. That's bad news to be having this conversation this late in the game.

Still...better late than never.

Altho given that 80% of patients who went on ventilators in NYC died, maybe now we have an idea why. Could the ventilator pressures been way off either too high ...or too low? That could go a long way to understanding how 80% of those on ventilators died.

The ventilator questions are certainly an issue. It could be that people who were put on ventilators were so far gone that they were going to die anyway. My cousin, who is a doctor, told me that in talking to her colleagues they are frustrated because of the lack of masks and other equipment but more so because there are too many things they still don't know about this virus. Doctors hate guessing but sometimes that's all they can do.
Was just watching the Nathans hot dog contest and Mike Golic gave Kyle a cheap shot. With Chestnut leading by about 25 hot dogs with 2 minutes to go Golic said he would need a Shanahan collapse to lose now.
Share 49ersWebzone