LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

CB depth - biggest 2020 risk?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WildBill:
You cannot address every holeweakness on the team. All you can do is minimize the weakest link. Lynch knows as a former DB that if the DL is weak, no matter if you have pro bowlers at cb, things will breakdown if you don't pressure the QB. We are the same as last year-so not worried.

If you are worried about 2021-we will deal with it then. Drafting one and if they don't resign Sherman, they can use his money on another cb in free agency.

Smart post. A great defensive line can make a mediocre secondary look very good.
My upcoming 2021 mock drafts will include double dipping at the CB position for the foreseeable future. Add ER in FA.
As long as our D-line remains elite, I'm not too concerned with our secondary. My number 1 concern is pass protection.
Building around the DL first is 2 fold, pressure the QB and stopping the run. Because if they get pass the front 7, guess what, the 2ndary has to worry about that also now. Then they can't focus on pass as much.
Can grab CB's once other teams start releasing players to get to the roster limit if need be.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I don't hate our depth to be honest. Sherman, Moseley, Witherspoon, Harris, Johnson and Verrett is really like not bad. Throw in Williams and Reed in the slot and we are pretty solid.

Quentin Rollins and Tim Harris too fwiw.
Acy and Mayden are good DB adds, CB/S experience for both and some speed.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Apr 26, 2020 at 8:51 PM ]
There should be plenty of depth...starting w/Witherspoon. I'd expect guys like Tim Harris, Teez Tabor and possibly Tarvarious Moore to be further depth. Unless Moseley regresses, I'd think he's a good candidate to extend. He wouldn't command a huge salary yet. Not sure about Sherman...if he's willing to sign a team-friendly contract, let's go. Tartt may be a tougher one...when he's healthy, he's a dandy SS. Trouble is, he's missed quite a bit of PT. For the right price, I'd say re-sign him. K'Wuan, same deal, team-friendly contract, let's go. I did note one of the UDFA's is CB DeMarkus Acy (MO)...he was All-SEC CB in 2018. Also a couple of S's should be on the PS.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I don't hate our depth to be honest. Sherman, Moseley, Witherspoon, Harris, Johnson and Verrett is really like not bad. Throw in Williams and Reed in the slot and we are pretty solid.

I agree...especially if Moseley and Harris show some growth this season. My opinions....
  • Verrett might be more of a slot guy at this point in his career....might be able to stay on the field this way
  • I don't think Johnson makes the team.
  • I do think Sherman takes a bit of a step back this season but still is solid.
  • Acy (UDFA) was ticketed to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick after a really good 2018 but had a hamstring injury last season and didn't get drafted. He has talent though

Feels great, baby!!
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

You.......are correct, sir....

Feels great, baby!!

Originally posted by gold49digger:
We have a lot of young guys. I think they're just hoping they all develop. It's super risky for sure, but our pass rush helped a lot for these corners.

If they draft some guys next year, they will be young too. Half the guys they have now will be gone next year but next year is next year. I think they can get by on what they have this year as long as they aren't just decimated by injury and....one of their young guys (i.e. Tim Harris or D Acy) develops... Shan / Lynch / Saleh have certainly given this a lot of thought and I'm sure have contingency plans.

Feels great, baby!
We will address it next year. You fill what holes are greatest with the assets you have. People forget what Kyle said? If you draft a player or get a player, are they better than what is on the roster? They felt at the first two picks, the hole was bigger at DL and WR. Are the DB picks worth the value at the those positions? I didn't think so and neither did they. You don't just draft a pick because of what people perceive is a need. They know better than most what is most important.

Plus because of the pandemic, CB is a hard position to learn. Not only that, all this group think of what a good CB is, is useless if he doesn't fit your style of play.
Any drafted in the later rounds, while they may surprise like Sherman, majority will require to be developed. The only time you throw them to the wolves is when you are like in Shanahan's first year.

Nice post, WildBill....completely agree...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Yeah, I'm really pulling for Acy - he's got talent, just needs to stay healthy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
We have a lot of young guys. I think they're just hoping they all develop. It's super risky for sure, but our pass rush helped a lot for these corners.

If they draft some guys next year, they will be young too. Half the guys they have now will be gone next year but next year is next year. I think they can get by on what they have this year as long as they aren't just decimated by injury and....one of their young guys (i.e. Tim Harris or D Acy) develops... Shan / Lynch / Saleh have certainly given this a lot of thought and I'm sure have contingency plans.

Feels great, baby!
I hope they develop. They are going to be key in going deep in the playoffs again. Also I'd like the coaches to start developing some sort of defensive scheme to at least limit these stupid scramble drill plays by these opposing mobile QB's. It's irritating as hell to see a guy nearly get sacked, get away and throw a TD.
Building around the DL first is 2 fold, pressure the QB and stopping the run. Because if they get pass the front 7, guess what, the 2ndary has to worry about that also now. Then they can't focus on pass as much.

This is a good point about the run aspect as well - thanks
Share 49ersWebzone