LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I am hoping we secure Kittle with an extension this off season in the 13-15 million a year range, so we have the franchise tag available for T. Williams after the season, assuming we can't get him locked into an extension before then.

We can't tag him, it's part of his new redone deal, that's what's got the WZ in a tizzy thinking he's 1 and done.
Oh, didn't see that. Well, worse case, if he plays 1 year for us, we'll recoup a 3rd round comp pick for him in the 2022 draft. Here's to hoping Brunskill continus to do good for us, and then we sign him to an extension at RG money after the 2020 season, and then slide him over to LT for the 2021 season. LOL
McGlinchey I guess could slide to LT after the 2020 season and Brunskill could slide to RT.
McGlinchey I guess could slide to LT after the 2020 season and Brunskill could slide to RT.

Don't think the team has any intentions of moving Mcglinchey to LT and I hope not either.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Don't think the team has any intentions of moving Mcglinchey to LT and I hope not either.

Yeah, moving McGlinchey would not be prudent.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by thl408:
NY, getting rid of Kwon's contract will not be an easy task. Cutting him after 2020 will result in a $10.5 dead cap penalty. And no team is trading for an oft-injured LB with a $16 cap hit (2021 cap hit). This is because the 49ers re-structured Kwon's contract before they realized Greenlaw was damn good.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/kwon-alexander-16850/

"Dead cap" is irrelevant.

All that matters is cap savings. If the team has more money to spend as a result, then it's a win.

This. They still have cash they can throw back into the cap by cutting him. There's still a savings there and much more if made a post june 1st cut

Got it. Is the $13.8 in savings all in 2021 (he'd be cut after 2020), or somehow spread over the length of his contract?

TW gonna beast. This Kwon cap talk is about how to get cap space to retain TW.

according to OTC a post june-1st cut saves SF the follow in 2021-2022.

https://overthecap.com/player/kwon-alexander/3972/

2021 save $13.4M
2022 save $13.5M

they will have around $10M in DM that will be spread out over the course of 4 yrs (so around $2.5M per) I'd say that's worth it.

Like AB said they can still resign guys like TW/Kittle without having to cut anyone, they'd have to get creative though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I am hoping we secure Kittle with an extension this off season in the 13-15 million a year range, so we have the franchise tag available for T. Williams after the season, assuming we can't get him locked into an extension before then.

We can't tag him, it's part of his new redone deal, that's what's got the WZ in a tizzy thinking he's 1 and done.

Don't worry he'll re-sign - we did him a favor of restructuring his contract. Only way he's not back is if he plays like crap and we move on.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Don't worry he'll re-sign - we did him a favor of restructuring his contract. Only way he's not back is if he plays like crap and we move on.

Yep. Waisting draft capital back to back for one year rentals isn't good business and I think the niners understand that.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jun 29, 2020 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think we've got a real chance, no doubt. But it wouldn't surprise me if he also tested FA and went to the highest bidder too, which likely, won't be us.

He's a vet who's already made his life altering money when in his prime. I'm sure he could get more cash from the Jags BUT I'm willing to bet he's done with playing on a trash team as well lol.

His odds resigning imo are much better than not

I can buy this. But we're going to need to be close in $...my guess.

They'll re-sign TW IMO, even at $22M a yr we can afford it. We will need to redo deals next offseason if the cap does drop(Jimmy, Kwon who I refuse to cut, Dee, Richburg, AA, and Ward), we'd be able to keep our core together with this.

If Jimmy and Dee would have their deals restructured now they'd save over $28.5M to carryover into 2021, not sure why Lynch hasn't done it.

Agreed. I think this is all of the doable.
IMO, we have to do everything we can to keep TW.

I saw a post somewhere, [I'll keep looking] that suggested trading McGlinchey after the season.

The logic of the article was we could move Brunskill to RT and pick-up a rookie Tackle with more potential in the trade.

Thoughts.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, we have to do everything we can to keep TW.

I saw a post somewhere, [I'll keep looking] that suggested trading McGlinchey after the season.

The logic of the article was we could move Brunskill to RT and pick-up a rookie Tackle with more potential in the trade.

Thoughts.

Yeah, we have re-sign Williams - it be a shame if he got away.
If this NFL season never happens, due to Covid, does it still count as one year on his contract? Are players still going to get paid if they dont play?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If this NFL season never happens, due to Covid, does it still count as one year on his contract? Are players still going to get paid if they dont play?
That was my concern also, someone said no and the year just pushes back.

But this isn't Madden, i think the NFLPA / Players would want their money and create a big deal about it.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

But this isn't Madden, i think the NFLPA / Players would want their money and create a big deal about it.

It's going to suck if the season doesn't happen. We are finally in position to push for another ring and then BOOM. Sherm is another year older, Trent Williams is another year older, Jimmy is another year older, My dog (who I named Bosa) will miss his first NFL season
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

No if there isn't a season (doesn't start) they don't get a accrued season.
Share 49ersWebzone