LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
We must extend Kittle obviously but if we also extend TW I think we won´t have cap space to extend valuable young guys like Warner, K´Waun and maybe McGlinchey because giving 20 or almost 20M per year to Kittle + TW is going to leave us out of ammo for the other guys.

Also Tartt and Sherman are gonna be FA´s.

I know Kittle is gonna get signed sooner or later but Kyle, Lynch and Paraag will have t think if TW worths more to the team than the other guys that will need contracts soon.

Just imagine that Warner plays at an All-Pro level this season (if there is a season) and wants to be the best paid MLB of the league making around 19 or 20M per year and TW also plays at an All-Pro level and wants the same money than Tunsil is making or even more. What should we do?

I know that the tackle position is highly valued by Kyle and basically all the teams but again I don´t know if keeping TW for a long time is better for the team than keeping Warner and the other players.

They can pay Kittle, TW, Warner etc...that might mean Kwon and Ford have to go. Toss in restructuring Jimmy G (save a s**t ton).

All the other names you brought up shouldn't take precedent over a Top LT.

Agree...and there are those who think we are going to add Jamal to this list? Cripes it's already hard enough. We aren't bringing in another $17 mil guy or whatever he wants. If he wants to play for $8-$10, he might get a hearing, but even then, we already are going to lose some really good talent. Guys who have been injured...they are most likely to go. I just don't see making our problem worse, instead of better..
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't think they're gonna cut Kwon yet, he'll get restructured again, if the cap goes way down, they're gonna need to redo as many deals as possible, cause June 1 cuts won't help till June 2nd way after FA is over.

I think Gould stays if he plays well. Extend JG and lower his salary in 2021.

I think Kwon is gone, especially If Dre plays well when on the field again this yr. Wasting Dre's rookie contract is silly if he's just as good. Since they don't play a ton out of base one of those guys is riding the bench. Kwon is the guy who's injured, can't tackle and has a bloated contract...

Gould is a great kicker, but if cutting him helps save some cash, so be it.

As far as the June cuts, agreed. Personally I'd used that Kwon June 1st cut cash to extend Warner who's not a FA until after 2021 or use that cash on a tagged Kittle (have until mid July to work on a deal) hopefully he's resigned before that though
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM ]
Buckner had several things going against him being resigned. He wanted Aaron D. money, as good as he is, he has not produced like Donald. Donald is also the only one that the Rams had to pay for on the line, niners have a slew of players on the line and elsewhere.

Another is, DT are not valued as much as DE, unless they produce as much as DE. Does the player make everyone and the team better, while Buckner does make them better, question is asked how much better? Can they get by. On paper probably yes. We will find out.

L. Tackles, especially those that protect the blindside are considered more valuable. Because one bad shot-if you lose your QB, you probably kiss your chances of playoff or SB contention out the window. If he resumes his pro-bowl form. Trent helps the run game as well as protect the passer. Not to mention, if Trent resumes w.o missing a beat, the guard can focus more on his individual tasks and helping the center and vice versa. Trent on paper is more talented than Joe was. Quicker, stronger. So the run game on that side good be even better if there is a season.
  • thl408
NY, isn't the cap penalty for cutting Kwon after the 2020 season very significant? I'm seeing $10.5 million dead cap hit.
I don't think they're gonna cut Kwon yet, he'll get restructured again, if the cap goes way down, they're gonna need to redo as many deals as possible, cause June 1 cuts won't help till June 2nd way after FA is over.

I think Gould stays if he plays well. Extend JG and lower his salary in 2021.

I think Kwon is gone, especially If Dre plays well when on the field again this yr. Wasting Dre's rookie contract is silly if he's just as good. Since they don't play a ton out of base one of those guys is riding the bench. Kwon is the guy who's injured, can't tackle and has a bloated contract...

Gould is a great kicker, but if cutting him helps save some cash, so be it.

As far as the June cuts, agreed. Personally I'd used that Kwon June 1st cut cash to extend Warner who's not a FA until after 2021 or use that cash on a tagged Kittle (have until mid July to work on a deal) hopefully he's resigned before that though

I know we don't use 3 LBs a lot, but having 3 studs is worth the money IMO

Gould, has to have his contract option picked up by week 17 this year, or he's a FA, so cutting him doesn't really save much, as he gets a GTD portion of his contract.
i've been telling NY about not cutting Kwon
I know we don't use 3 LBs a lot, but having 3 studs is worth the money IMO

Gould, has to have his contract option picked up by week 17 this year, or he's a FA, so cutting him doesn't really save much, as he gets a GTD portion of his contract.

I'd much rather give that cash to someone who's gonna play and not waste Dre's cheap rookie yrs.

If they can move Kwon after this yr and use that money for a true starter (or put towards Warner) I'm all for it.

Thanks for the Gould info...I of course don't know half as much as you do about the cap
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

We don't play 3 LBers enough to pay Kwon the cash he's getting...you want Dre to ride the pine? Let's take advantage of that cheap 5th rd contract.

Much rather invest that money elsewhere or at the very least give it to Warner. They can't pay two LBers top money imo. Not with all the other positions that need cash too

We don't play 3 LBers enough to pay Kwon the cash he's getting...you want Dre to ride the pine? Let's take advantage of that cheap 5th rd contract.

Much rather invest that money elsewhere or at the very least give it to Warner. They can't pay two LBers top money imo. Not with all the other positions that need cash too

The only reason Kwon is in the building is because Reuben Foster is a bust. But Dre Greenlaw has shown he can be better than Kwon and much cheaper. Demeco Ryans is an excellent LB coach, he is a big reason our LB picked in round 3 and 5 become an immediate impact. We can draft LB at any round, pay big money only to one (Warner) and keep picking young talent to replace the old.
But Trent Williams, that's a different story. LT is a top 5 position in the NFL, you keep those guys no matter what. That is unless he gets hurt and become a liability. With a healthy Williams the offense is automatically better.

We will need those 3 when playing against Seattle x2, philly, buff, Dallas.

If we didn't have greenlaw last year we would have lost a few more games. that 3rd LB was a blessing and still is

Originally posted by richterkbelmont:

The only reason Kwon is in the building is because Reuben Foster is a bust. But Dre Greenlaw has shown he can be better than Kwon and much cheaper. Demeco Ryans is an excellent LB coach, he is a big reason our LB picked in round 3 and 5 become an immediate impact. We can draft LB at any round, pay big money only to one (Warner) and keep picking young talent to replace the old.
But Trent Williams, that's a different story. LT is a top 5 position in the NFL, you keep those guys no matter what. That is unless he gets hurt and become a liability. With a healthy Williams the offense is automatically better.

agreed

TW>>>>>> LBer

We will need those 3 when playing against Seattle x2, philly, buff, Dallas.

If we didn't have greenlaw last year we would have lost a few more games. that 3rd LB was a blessing and still is

Again one of those guys is gonna basically be a backup. They don't play a SAM LBer enough to require paying Kwon top cash. Dre IMO showed to be a better tackler and just as good in coverage.

FWIW the only team you brought up that doesn't run primarily out of 11 personnel is Philly. Dallas (67% out of 11), Seattle (73% out of 11), Buffalo (70% out of 11).

I'm not letting Dre sit the bench and not grow...meanwhile watching Kwon whiff on tackles (did the same thing in TB). I love his energy and coverage ability, but again one of the dudes is gonna be on the bench 60% of the time (K'Waun Williams was on the field 60% of the time last yr).

You can have a 3rd LBer and not pay him $15M per yr lol. They have a perfect replacement for Kwon on the team and he only costs like $700K for the next 3 yrs. Sweet baby Jesus we have a cap strapped team with all kinds of young talent looking to get paid soon, take advantage of the cheap contract!

IMHO I'm doing whatever to trade Kwon after this season. Hopefully he balls out and can be moved (as long as Dre plays like he did his rookie yr).
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 25, 2020 at 6:33 AM ]
But anyway, Trent Williams is a beast and I don't really see anyway SF doesn't resign him based on need and how much Kyle loves him.

Unless he simply bombs this yr or can't stay healthy.
I'll just really going to enjoy him this year.
We hit the jackpot on that one.
Share 49ersWebzone