There are 244 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is a great move!

Williams is one of the best OL in nfl history. I know he's younger but this feels like the Larry Allen move.

Lets go!
Originally posted by BYisGod:
I just can't get behind this deal—at least not right now. Two days after Kyle explicitly says he will do his best not to mortgage future draft picks, we do exactly that. Williams is essentially a one-year rental.

I am stunned that Staley is retiring. It's an assumption that he waited to inform the organization, but it certainly seems like the most likely scenario right now. Wow.

We mortgaged nothing. A 5th rounder and a 3rd. He is a premier left tackle that's 6 years younger than Staley. It was a great move.
I just can't get behind this deal—at least not right now. Two days after Kyle explicitly says he will do his best not to mortgage future draft picks, we do exactly that. Williams is essentially a one-year rental.

I am stunned that Staley is retiring. It's an assumption that he waited to inform the organization, but it certainly seems like the most likely scenario right now. Wow.

You're not taking into account that if he leaves we should get a decent Comp pick back so in reality we might have only giving up a 5th
[ Edited by mrbusinessman499 on Apr 25, 2020 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erguy:
We fleeced the redskins

It's kind of surprising Snyder gave him to us. Seemed like there was bad blood between him and the Shannyclan.

Glad to have him. He fits the scheme so damn well. If he walks after this year we likely get a 3rd round comp pick. Great, great trade.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Hes 31 and has made the Pro Bowl in his last 7 seasons...

Didn't make it last season

Taking a year off could be a good thing too for his body and mind though.

*his* last 7 seasons. Not making it last year was just because he sat himself out.

"After the Redskins failed to trade him before the trade deadline, he was reinstated on October 30, 2019. However, Williams failed to pass a physical exam, as he experienced discomfort with his helmet due to his scalp having postsurgical soreness, which resulted in the Redskins placing him on the non-football injury list."
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Biggest shocker isn't the implication that Joe Staley may retire.

It's that the 49ers have an ELITE GM. WOW LOL. Only John Lynch could smooth things over between Snyder and Shanahan.

I wouldn't say ramming it up Snyder's ass is "smoothing things over". At best an astroglide situation.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Biggest shocker isn't the implication that Joe Staley may retire.

It's that the 49ers have an ELITE GM. WOW LOL. Only John Lynch could smooth things over between Snyder and Shanahan.

This is key. This is a great move for a great player and unlike Sanders, this time they will work on an extension immediately. He's a core player for three next 4-5 years at a crucial T spot and ALREADY knows the system.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Lynch is finally starting to look like a real NFL GM.

Brilliant move.

Sweet deal. Great ending to the draft weekend.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4u:

Giving up a 3rd next year isn't mortgaging

I agree.

This is worthwhile, no other way around it.
Originally posted by Butter:
Maybe Trent vetoed anything that was not the Niners.

Neither the Browns or the Vikes are legit SB contenders

Allegedly he was the one that halted the trade to the Vikings and the browns broke off trade talks once they took Wills.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 25, 2020 at 9:24 AM ]
So Niners gave up a 5 this year and 3 next year. If he leaves, best case they get a 3 next year. So basically niners give up a 5 this year for Trent Williams. Wow.
Originally posted by saniner:

Glad to have him. He fits the scheme so damn well. If he walks after this year we likely get a 3rd round comp pick. Great, great trade.

They made up like a day or two later IIRC.
Share 49ersWebzone