There are 187 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
If Kyle has low standards for the OL, we might as well too. Just get a JAG. I'm sure he can just scheme around it and use 3 QB's every year like his RB's.

I mean I really enjoy watching Kittle have to stay in to help on pass protection. Cause if there's one thing I love watching the best TE in football do it's helping our 1st round RT block. I mean who actually enjoys having him as a receiving threat?
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Jan 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mooseman:
Another Idea,

How about not signing Williams and save the 20 million per year. You can use that money to help sign a edge, Yannick from Baltimore , The Packer Center who is a All pro. T Williams has about 3 years maybe 4 years left to play, and he will want about 65 million in guarantees.

This is a good draft for tackles this year. Some are plug and play.

Trent Williams is a unique talent. He perfectly fits kyles offensive scheme. He knows kyles blocking scheme inside and out.
He's an excellent player, and the 49ers can afford him. Left Tackle is a very important position, almost as important at QB and edge rusher.

I'd rather spend the money on Trent, and draft defense vs save the money and spend draft capital on the same position, with no guarantee you draft a young Trent Williams. With Trent you save a first round pick, you draft a young defender, and you don't waste time to train a newbie LT in kyles complicated offensive blocking schemes.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
If Kyle has low standards for the OL, we might as well too. Just get a JAG. I'm sure he can just scheme around it and use 3 QB's every year like his RB's.

I mean I really enjoy watching Kittle have to stay in to help on pass protection. Cause if there's one thing I love watching the best TE in football do it's helping our 1st round RT block. I mean who actually enjoys having him as a receiving threat?

Totally agree. He and Juice in to help...bring in Dwelley too (LOL). Catching passes is boring.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Totally agree. He and Juice in to help...bring in Dwelley too (LOL). Catching passes is boring.

catching passes is over rated.. also remember not to long ago. sacks are over rated and hits that a qb takes are over rated.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Trent Williams is a unique talent. He perfectly fits kyles offensive scheme. He knows kyles blocking scheme inside and out.
He's an excellent player, and the 49ers can afford him. Left Tackle is a very important position, almost as important at QB and edge rusher.

I'd rather spend the money on Trent, and draft defense vs save the money and spend draft capital on the same position, with no guarantee you draft a young Trent Williams. With Trent you save a first round pick, you draft a young defender, and you don't waste time to train a newbie LT in kyles complicated offensive blocking schemes.

You could also use the draft to find a young center that can play more than 2 games before he gets injured. If we put a young untested left tackle in there we're almost certain to see Jimmy back on IR.
Top OL rarely ever hit FA esp. these days...trades, yes.

But ours is about to do it and he's going to cash in big time.
Top OL rarely ever hit FA esp. these days...trades, yes.

But ours is about to do it and he's going to cash in big time.

Right? It's one of those positions you never let walk. The Bengals were idiots by letting Witworth walk and they haven't been able to replace him. Unless you have a prospect like Sewell ready to replace him, or you have a good replacement already in the building, you don't let an elite LT walk.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Another Idea,

How about not signing Williams and save the 20 million per year. You can use that money to help sign a edge, Yannick from Baltimore , The Packer Center who is a All pro. T Williams has about 3 years maybe 4 years left to play, and he will want about 65 million in guarantees.

That idea is Plan B

Plan F
LT Costanzo retired from the Colts.

They have 50+ M in cap space.

They could pay TW 25M a season if they feel desperate enough, and IMO he'd go for it.

IMO, if we get Deshawn he'll stay if not he'll leave because we'll have legitimate shots at the SB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
LT Costanzo retired from the Colts.

They have 50+ M in cap space.

They could pay TW 25M a season if they feel desperate enough, and IMO he'd go for it.

IMO, if we get Deshawn he'll stay if not he'll leave because we'll have legitimate shots at the SB.

This is where the culture that ShanaLynch has set up should work its magic. I think once you go past 20+ million, maybe adding more money vs the atmosphere and culture even out. Ie. Hopefully a lot of veterans want to come here to earn a shot at a super bowl and forego some money, in order to do that. At least that's my hope.

Some team will offer him the Bakhtiari deal($23m per) if he hits free agency. 49ers' offer has to be close for him to consider it. Culture or not, these guys want to get paid.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

You could also use the draft to find a young center that can play more than 2 games before he gets injured. If we put a young untested left tackle in there we're almost certain to see Jimmy back on IR.

I hope we already have that up and comming young center on the team, but if not, then definitely spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a dominant center would be plan A in my book.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
This is where the culture that ShanaLynch has set up should work its magic. I think once you go past 20+ million, maybe adding more money vs the atmosphere and culture even out. Ie. Hopefully a lot of veterans want to come here to earn a shot at a super bowl and forego some money, in order to do that. At least that's my hope.

alot of people thought trent would take less money cuz he was under that influence that you spoke of in regards to kyle and lynch. if trent goes, what qb will want to play here seeing how we value our o line. and players are like trained seals. you throw them enough money and they will come and play for you. for anyone
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Another Idea,

That idea is Plan B

Plan F

well, if they let trent walk. they better have a plan b that does not involve. oh. one of our back ups from last year and some guy from the practice squad will step in to trents spot
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

alot of people thought trent would take less money cuz he was under that influence that you spoke of in regards to kyle and lynch. if trent goes, what qb will want to play here seeing how we value our o line. and players are like trained seals. you throw them enough money and they will come and play for you. for anyone

I would wait on that thought, since I don't think Trent has made a decision yet on what team he's going to play for. (unless I missed a NY85 tweet somewhere. )

Having said that, I think for a prospective QB - it would be the OC and the system that is important. The O-Line is going to be part of the *system* that the prospective QB looks at, I'm sure. Kyle's offenses have been top of the line for a long time, a lot of the injuries don't help that stat though. But generally speaking, his OLines have been decent. I know NC wants hall-of-fame OLinemen and it would have been great if we had that - this year with the loss of Bosa. I think that the OLine problems are a bit overstated by NC. I don't think we're *that bad* an OLine. I think it's a combination of the WR's and QB's being injured and inconsistent, as well as subpar play from the OLine starters. I'm not saying ignore the OLine, but I am saying, we can add talent there and one way is to sign Trent to a nice deal, and also add through the draft and free agency.
Share 49ersWebzone