There are 296 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jimrat:

????

They got nothing for Mike McGlinchey's 5th year option and lost him to FA. Strike while the iron's hot.

They will get a 3rd next year. I'm not so sure anyone would've offered more than that. If a team dangled a first or 2nd before the draft, McGlinchey would've been traded.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by jimrat:

????

They got nothing for Mike McGlinchey's 5th year option and lost him to FA. Strike while the iron's hot.

I'd rather keep Aiyuk for this upcoming season and then maybe trade him in his fifth year if we have a viable alternative

I doubt we will. Extend with a low 2024 and 2025 number and let Deebo go after 2025. Deebo's going to have to be a 1700 yard per year kinda guy to justify another contract like what he got. I don't see it happening. Aiyuk is too consistently reliable to let that kind of player go. Kyle doesn't have to scheme him open or be creative to get the ball in his hands, he's willing to do the dirty work AND survived the doghouse.

The whole trade Aiyuk thing means not only are you keeping Deebo, but you are also prepared to extend him after 2025.

We could restructure deebos but that can get dicey. I'd hate to lose deebo :/ love that guy. I can see it happening though. I just want that man to stay healthy.

Purdy did well without deebo, so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but deebo is definitly an awesome player for us.

i love how Jennings's is the perfect third option with those two on the field (deebo & Aiyuk).
No need to restructure Deebo. His deal is too short as it is. Id hate to lose him too, but its a numbers game. Hoping we have a GREAT draft class because we need younger, cheaper talent. Agree on Jennings. Its really a nice, diverse skillset. If Danny Gray can come on, look out.

Originally posted by elguapo:
We can keep both, the Rams have kept two good (highly paid) receivers forever, Tampa Bay has kept two or three, there are plenty of teams that can keep two very good receivers as well as pay other players at the same time. We have quarterbacks on rookie contracts and the salary cap will be going up every year. Especially since Deebo gets injured a few games every year we need to keep Aiyuk

Who is the other highly paid receiver outside of Kupp? Tampa has their 3, but they don't have as many high paid guys at multiple positions. I think we are unique in that regard. We have/had a highly paid kicker, FB, TE, linebacker, corner, LT, receiver, CB, DT, and RB. Now we are adding another DT and soon to add a DE. Something has to give, but this is really a 2024/2025 problem .
They're not trading Ayiuk
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
we got the weirdest fanbase. more talk of trading one instead of keeping both.

Some of these fans are so eager to blow up a contending roster because, hey, draft picks. Btw - draft picks usually bust. Exchanging proven players for a lottery ticket is a very bad proposition for a team that is actively trying to win.

Also we have a cheap excellent QB so we can have expensive skill positions.

This is not that complicated.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Some of these fans are so eager to blow up a contending roster because, hey, draft picks. Btw - draft picks usually bust. Exchanging proven players for a lottery ticket is a very bad proposition for a team that is actively trying to win.

And the cap is expected to go up 20 million next year.

This. Let's hope we can extend Aiyuk next year after signing him to his 5th year option. Deebo almost always misses a few games per season so we need 2 wrs. Also, to keep scoring with the Bills and Chiefs we need multiple good players at wr
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 29, 2023 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
They're not trading Ayiuk

You're right. But we'll probably lose him for nothing a year from now
  • thl408

This. Let's hope we can extend Aiyuk next year after signing him to his 5th year option. Deebo almost always misses a few games per season so we need 2 wrs. Also, to keep scoring with the Bills and Chiefs we need multiple good players at wr

If Brock/Trey can utilize Aiyuk's skillset as a WR that can get open downfield, and I think they can, then extending Aiyuk is a high priority. And this will be easier to do if Brock is the QB since his contract is cheaper. I think it's critical that the 49ers draft well on defense, which will allow them to splurge on offensive cap hits - to keep all their current offensive stars, and add an Aiyuk extension.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
We can keep both, the Rams have kept two good (highly paid) receivers forever, Tampa Bay has kept two or three, there are plenty of teams that can keep two very good receivers as well as pay other players at the same time. We have quarterbacks on rookie contracts and the salary cap will be going up every year. Especially since Deebo gets injured a few games every year we need to keep Aiyuk

Those a pass centric offenses though. Those are much more needed to operate their offenses.

AB was on John Chapman's show a few minutes ago and said that he sees no big cap issues when it comes to keeping both long-term if we want to go that route. Aiyuk is definitely getting extended, unless someone blows Lynch away, and unless Deebo plays poorly, I'm sure he'll finish out his contract and possibly get another extension if his play doesn't greatly diminish over that time. I trust our front office to work everything out.

I wonder if they can get Bosa extended sometime this off season then BA next year. Trying to get them both done after this season might be difficult.
I wonder if they can get Bosa extended sometime this off season then BA next year. Trying to get them both done after this season might be difficult.

Nick's getting his extension this summer, no way he plays on the 5th yr option, he'll get his money in due time.

Those a pass centric offenses though. Those are much more needed to operate their offenses.

AB was on John Chapman's show a few minutes ago and said that he sees no big cap issues when it comes to keeping both long-term if we want to go that route. Aiyuk is definitely getting extended, unless someone blows Lynch away, and unless Deebo plays poorly, I'm sure he'll finish out his contract and possibly get another extension if his play doesn't greatly diminish over that time. I trust our front office to work everything out.

This👆🏻. AB says we should have no problem keeping our core since the cap is expected to rise a good amount the next couple years. No reason at all to trade Aiyuk. He keeps getting better plus Shanahan loves how he blocks in the run game. I think we draft a WR in the 5th rd this year in hopes he can take Jennings spot when he leaves and if we hit on him we can let Deebo walk if his price is too high come 2025
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

This👆🏻. AB says we should have no problem keeping our core since the cap is expected to rise a good amount the next couple years. No reason at all to trade Aiyuk. He keeps getting better plus Shanahan loves how he blocks in the run game. I think we draft a WR in the 5th rd this year in hopes he can take Jennings spot when he leaves and if we hit on him we can let Deebo walk if his price is too high come 2025

Jauan is the one I think we won't be able to afford to keep, with the market for good WRs getting $11M a yr+, Jauan will cash in when it comes time, enjoy JJ while we have him, like we did Azeez last year.
Gotta admit. Almost got me.

https://www.facebook.com/100063583607187/posts/681224907340290/?app=fbl
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Jauan is the one I think we won't be able to afford to keep, with the market for good WRs getting $11M a yr+, Jauan will cash in when it comes time, enjoy JJ while we have him, like we did Azeez last year.

Jauan is definitely a goner and he deserve it. I'd like to start developing a guy this year, but said player likely won't make the team. if we can keep a similar type of player on the practice squad this year, that would do wonders. What was the podcast you did discussing the cap situation?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Jauan is definitely a goner and he deserve it. I'd like to start developing a guy this year, but said player likely won't make the team. if we can keep a similar type of player on the practice squad this year, that would do wonders. What was the podcast you did discussing the cap situation?

Agreed, need to start planning for the future, we have Jauan for 2 more years, he's a RFA after 2023.

John Chapman's, I can get the link if you want.
Share 49ersWebzone