There are 194 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
WR1.
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
Originally posted by genus49:
Nobody gonna bring up the tweet pretty much confirming Packers were eyeing Aiyuk in the first round?

I remember we had a LOT of people claiming there was no reason to trade up for him or we could've gotten him at our original pick.

This^

My father in-law is a Packers fan and was pissed when we took him.

I remember the tweet but IMO, I dont believe it was true. It just doesnt make logical sense to me in the slightest bit.

Packers plan: We need a WR badly, and we love Aiyuk and will draft him at 26.

*Niners draft Aiyuk at 25*

Packers: Our backup plan if Aiyuk isnt there is to draft a Quarterback.

Umm....what? If you were willing to invest a first round pick on a WR because you need help at the position, but since the guy you were eyeing is gone, you are going to draft a backup/future QB instead? They liked Aiyuk SO MUCH that once he was gone, they decided that no other WR in the entire draft was worth using one of their NINE picks on?

Sorry, I just dont buy this. From a logic standpoint, it makes zero sense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Nobody gonna bring up the tweet pretty much confirming Packers were eyeing Aiyuk in the first round?

I remember we had a LOT of people claiming there was no reason to trade up for him or we could've gotten him at our original pick.

This^

I remember the tweet but IMO, I dont believe it was true. It just doesnt make logical sense to me in the slightest bit.

Umm....what? If you were willing to invest a first round pick on a WR because you need help at the position, but since the guy you were eyeing is gone, you are going to draft a backup/future QB instead? They liked Aiyuk SO MUCH that once he was gone, they decided that no other WR in the entire draft was worth using one of their NINE picks on?

Agree with that logic. They went from "let's give Aaron a weapon so we can win in 2020" to, "nevermind let's think about life after Aaron", all because the 49ers sniped Aiyuk? Does not compute.
Originally posted by thl408:

This^

Agree with that logic. They went from "let's give Aaron a weapon so we can win in 2020" to, "nevermind let's think about life after Aaron", all because the 49ers sniped Aiyuk? Does not compute.
You never know.. To say Love was their intended pick this whole time is pretty crazy also

They had how much time to possibly trade down or talk with other teams after our pick was in ?
Originally posted by okdkid:
WR1.

Turns out that was Jefferson.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This^

You never know.. To say Love was their intended pick this whole time is pretty crazy also

They had how much time to possibly trade down or talk with other teams after our pick was in ?

Obviously they scouted Love so they were thinking QB coming into the draft. GB picked immediately after SF so about 20 minutes?
Another magnificent pick by this FO. Keep it going!!

This^

You do know that they TRADED UP to get Love right? I agree with STWH 100%
Originally posted by okdkid:
WR1.

On our team yes, in that draft class that would be a no
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This^

lol i forgot about that. well that makes the pick more interesting

Originally posted by 49ers808:

damn, I forgot all about this too. I thought there was very little chance this Aiyuk-GB theory was true, and the fact that they traded up to 26 for love makes the theory that they were targeting Aiyuk even less likely, if thats even possible.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Feb 4, 2021 at 11:44 AM ]

i agree with this

still love the aiyuk pick at 25

This^

I think the Packers had the 30th pick, 49ers 31st in 2020 before they made those trades, I think the 49ers felt GB was gonna take him at 30, or trade up for Aiyuk, the whole Jordan Love picks made no sense in April, and still doesn't, I just don't see them trading Rodgers. Anyway, I do think the Packers would have taken Aiyuk if we hadn't traded up, but no one will ever know for certain, the Pack will say Love was their guy the whole time, like Baalke said AJ Jenkins was the name in the envelope
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

i agree with this

still love the aiyuk pick at 25

Well, I've seen crazier things, Kyle was reported as only liking Beathard in 2017 at QB. Maybe GB had a certain number of WRs graded as 1st rd picks, and Aiyuk was their last one, and when we took him, they decided to go with Love, which still again makes no sense to me.

This^

People argue take BPA all the time. There are folks in the draft forum that we should take Kyle Pitts if we miss out on a QB or OL.
Share 49ersWebzone