LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Exactly. That's why I was questioning him slimming down. We saw what happened to MM when he slimmed down to protect the knee.

I think the whole slimming down topic is a manufactured talking point by the local media. Kinlaw also slimmed down last offseason and came into training camp at 292 pounds according to Matt Barrows and Tim Ryan, who wouldn't shut up about Kinlaw's new body and weight loss during last year's preseason. Not sure why him being 305 a few months ago became such a talking point.

Kinlaw, however, looks like a different player this year. He's healthy after having an ACL procedure last season. He's also noticeably slimmer — 292 pounds, compared to his 324-pound weight at the 2020 scouting combine. After the game, Kyle Shanahan said that until recently, Kinlaw hadn't been healthy since injuring his knee in a Dec. 20, 2020, game against the Cowboys.

I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to lean out and come into camp again around 292 pounds like he did last season.

I'm not worried about the weight. Kinlaw is massive dude even at around 300 pounds. He struggles with firing off the ball, getting off with leverage and maintaining pad level level through contact. These issues have been there since college, so that's just who he is at this point. The dude is high cut with knee problems, which only exacerbate the aforementioned issues.
[ Edited by Heroism on May 24, 2023 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by thl408:
Dude has slimmed down and got lean? Why? He'll be playing 2i.

Less stress on the knees?

ONE LAST CHANCE.

This!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

ONE LAST CHANCE.

This!

He should post of a video about how great he is going to be this year.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Exactly. That's why I was questioning him slimming down. We saw what happened to MM when he slimmed down to protect the knee.

I think the whole slimming down topic is a manufactured talking point by the local media. Kinlaw also slimmed down last offseason and came into training camp at 292 pounds according to Matt Barrows and Tim Ryan, who wouldn't shut up about Kinlaw's new body and weight loss during last year's preseason. Not sure why him being 305 a few months ago became such a talking point.

Kinlaw, however, looks like a different player this year. He's healthy after having an ACL procedure last season. He's also noticeably slimmer — 292 pounds, compared to his 324-pound weight at the 2020 scouting combine. After the game, Kyle Shanahan said that until recently, Kinlaw hadn't been healthy since injuring his knee in a Dec. 20, 2020, game against the Cowboys.

I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to lean out and come into camp again around 292 pounds like he did last season.

I'm not worried about the weight. Kinlaw is massive dude even at around 300 pounds. He struggles with firing off the ball, getting off with leverage and maintaining pad level level through contact. These issues have been there since college, so that's just who he is at this point. The dude is high cut with knee problems, which only exacerbate the aforementioned issues.

I would have had him put on 50 pounds and told him not to move...ever.

ONE LAST CHANCE.

This!

Players tend to get motivated when they see another player get their contract.

Hargrave took Kinlaw's bag.

I like how Kinlaw is responding
Barring a miraculous change, Kinlaw would be lucky to get much playing time this year. Shoot, he's not even a lock to make the team at this point.

IMO, if he continues to be as ineffective and still makes the team, it might only be for bottom of the roster depth and because the dead money hit and being cut would net absolutely zero cap savings.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Barring a miraculous change, Kinlaw would be lucky to get much playing time this year. Shoot, he's not even a lock to make the team at this point.

IMO, if he continues to be as ineffective and still makes the team, it might only be for bottom of the roster depth and because the dead money hit and being cut would net absolutely zero cap savings.

If Kinlaw makes the team he'll get PT, no way they won't play him, I would just trade him for whatever I could get.

Bingo!

Bingo!

No, I think if he physically can't perform -- his knee hurts constantly, can't change direction or accelerate without discomfort -- we wish him well and cut him early in camp. We need someone who can contribute snaps.

But, it seems like he's had no set backs, based on what is publicly being said by Wilks.
Forgot that this dude was even still on the roster, lol.

Originally posted by Patton:

because he his hurt all the time and when does get on the field he is a ghost.
Originally posted by Patton:

I was about to post the same thing
All gas, no knees
the J Kinlaw Story
I would have had him put on 50 pounds and told him not to move...ever.

LMAO
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Could have drafted Justin Jefferson instead.
Share 49ersWebzone