LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:

The experts seem to be in accord. My own feeling is that we just might've scored big on our two 1st round picks this past draft with him and Aiyuk. If so, we already killed it there to say nothing of what we'll get from Williams, Woerner, Hasty, et al.
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Arz would probably scored over a 100 points on us. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 3-3-3 defense would only field 9 players on the field unless it's the modern way of calling defenses now. I thought it was a typo but you kept mentioning your 3-3-3 defense on all your posts. Math is not my strongest subject but I'm sure 11 against 9 is a mismatch all day everyday.

ISU calls its brand of Hybrid 3-3-5 defense the 3-3-3 Defensive because of how they stack 3 DL, LB and S in all three levels of the defense in the middle of the field behind one another like this:

So it's a Hybrid 3-3-5 then, got it! Usually every formations accounts for every personnel on the field (DLs-LBs-DBs) but cool..

Originally posted by Heroism:

Wow dusky even catch that one rush where he just decimated the left side of the line. This is exciting stuff . I imagine he's just going to get better and better. Looks like he's already applying tricks of the trade from Bosa
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 16, 2020 at 8:45 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Heroism:

He got pancaked the very next play on the first highlight but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Good to see
Originally posted by Jiks:
He got pancaked the very next play on the first highlight but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Good to see

You can say that again...

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
It's encouraging considering what we heard out of TC which makes me wonder if the TC reports are even worth paying attention to. In TC, we heard negative things about Kinlaw and great things about Kentavius Street and others that didn't materialize on Sunday. It makes me curious to see what we'll get from Aiyuk.
[ Edited by BumCity on Sep 17, 2020 at 12:54 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Pretty bad. So bad Givens got more snaps. And he was awful as well

Originally posted by mutant-man49:
This guy is not going to help us at all this year.

Originally posted by wailers15:
I don't think so. He looked so fkn lost and got manhandled constantly

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He's no Buckner.

Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Yea. Definitely not impressed with my first look at Kinlaw. He didn't really flash anything to me. Not based solely in terms of production. I was at least expecting to see some good tendencies or technique. I didn't see violent hands. I didn't see a quick get-off. He produced little to zero penetration and his pad level was way too high. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned with him going forward.

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Just bumping some initial reactions after the game...

Perhaps next time folks will be less inclined to run in and bash a player before actually getting a chance to rewatch the game and concentrating on the line play.
Originally posted by BumCity:
It's encouraging considering what we heard out of TC which makes me wonder if the TC reports are even worth paying attention to. In TC, we heard negative things about Kinlaw and great things about Kentavius Street and others that didn't materialize on Sunday. It makes me curious to see what we'll get from Aiyuk.

TC reports this yr should be taken with a grain of salt...not a normal off season.

Originally posted by genus49:

Perhaps next time folks will be less inclined to run in and bash a player before actually getting a chance to rewatch the game and concentrating on the line play.

Sounds like some people looked at a stat sheet and really don't understand the job of a DT
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. 400 yards of offense (2nd to only the Saints game). Ras with the same standards for the OL too. Going places!

And Snake, it's 'per se'

C'mon, dude. I know you're kind of trolling here out of butthurt here but at least use a legit metric other than an empty one like yards allowed to measure success vs. a hurry up offense. We performed 14th out 32 teams in terms of Defensive DVOA last week. Not bad, not great. Let's not panic just yet.

Nobody is panicking. But that's FAR below standards esp. given the continuity of the unit, personnel and resources allocated to this side of the ball and familiarity with the opponent and scheme. You didn't think Saleh knew they'd force feed Hopkins and let Murray scramble? Poor plan all around and well below standards. Nobody is panicking (or should) in week 1 but there are some legit patterns of concern here too.

If you're OK with this standard of play across the board (save for QB only), that'll help explain your perspectives going forward.

Me? This team is capable of winning a Superbowl even while I expect some hiccups along the way. And I'm going to hold those expectations just like the FO, coaches and players do down to the water boy and Joan in accounting.

I was wrong though. Kinlaw is not a base 2 down (67%) run defender. He was 48% (base was 43%). The good news is he's earned more trust from his coaches and showed some quality pass rush snaps so let's keep an eye on his snap counts increasing the next few weeks.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2020 at 6:17 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:

Sounds like some people looked at a stat sheet and really don't understand the job of a DT

That's exactly it. People so quick to try to sh*t on some of these players they don't even take the effort to do a true evaluation.

Cuz when it comes to line play...unless you're Aaron Donald just straight up wrecking people, it doesn't always show up while watching the game.

You'd think next time people would hold off on their commentary until watching the game again and paying attention to the trenches but that's not the webzone way.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Arz would probably scored over a 100 points on us. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 3-3-3 defense would only field 9 players on the field unless it's the modern way of calling defenses now. I thought it was a typo but you kept mentioning your 3-3-3 defense on all your posts. Math is not my strongest subject but I'm sure 11 against 9 is a mismatch all day everyday.

ISU calls its brand of Hybrid 3-3-5 defense the 3-3-3 "Air Raid Killer" Defense because of how they stack 3 DL, LB and S in support of another at all three levels of the defense in the middle of the field like this:

I write about it on this thread here if you're interested in learning a little bit about why I like it so much for a team like Arizona going forward.

Let it go. Saleh & Oden aren't going to call this scheme even if you make a good case for it against these types of offenses.
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. 400 yards of offense (2nd to only the Saints game). Ras with the same standards for the OL too. Going places!

And Snake, it's 'per se'

C'mon, dude. I know you're kind of trolling here out of butthurt here but at least use a legit metric other than an empty one like yards allowed to measure success vs. a hurry up offense. We performed 14th out 32 teams in terms of Defensive DVOA last week. Not bad, not great. Let's not panic just yet.

He'll bash Saleh regardless of how good his D performs lol. Maybe next time the offense will actually convert a 3rd down and keep our D fresh for once.
Share 49ersWebzone