LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I will say Saleh needs to play AZ differently.

I can agree with that, I liked what they were doing the first half and they still had them at 10 in the 4th, but might need to shake something up to minimize these broken play scrambles. Not sure what the answer is

Maybe throw a Spy on Murray...possibly Moore?

I dunno we were doing pretty good against them until the blocked punt and the refs decided to start flagging every breath near Murray.

That one BS flag when we had them stopped on 3rd down was the doom. Defense just got gassed it looked like through that drive after that trying to chase Murray around for another dozen plays. Conditioning should be better next time we face him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I agree...was saying you never hear the reverse of that as a justification for why the defense played well so I just wanted to focus on just the defense and remind you this veteran group still has the option to go 3 and out too.

Hard to go 3 and out when they're exhausted. Imagine being player and chasing that little midget around all game long. The offense needs to sustain drives to keep the D fresh.

I can agree with that, I liked what they were doing the first half and they still had them at 10 in the 4th, but might need to shake something up to minimize these broken play scrambles. Not sure what the answer is

they need to contain murray and let him sack himself
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I agree...was saying you never hear the reverse of that as a justification for why the defense played well so I just wanted to focus on just the defense and remind you this veteran group still has the option to go 3 and out too.

Hard to go 3 and out when they're exhausted. Imagine being player and chasing that little midget around all game long. The offense needs to sustain drives to keep the D fresh.

Not to mention in poor air quality.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
they need to contain murray and let him sack himself

The problem now is that he's got DeAndre Hopkins, so if you simply contain Murray, you're forcing your cornerbacks to cover an all-world WR and a former all-world WR, who ain't a scrub by any means, for extended periods of time.

It's pick your poison: attack Murray with the rush while trying to stay in your rush lane and risk him escaping OR cage him in and force your DBs to try and hang with all-pro WRs. The 49ers plan to get after his ass was working fine in the first half, but fell apart in the second half.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
People is being unfair with the defense. It was the exact same issue than the SuperBowl. They contained the opponent for most part of the game, but playing 82 snaps is just a lot. There was a blocked punt and the offense inability to convert third downs doomed this game. Yes defense missed tackles but it'll be fixed.
I think it's clear Thomas has no business being an starter and Kinlaw will get more playing time. Next 2 opponents have terrible OL and QB so out pass rush should feast on them.

They still gave up 400 yards (2nd only to that Saints game last year), 150 to Hopkins, 190 rushing, several blown coverages, missed tackles, bone headed plays (Kwon esp.), key penalties, used base personnel 43% of the game, abandoned rush lanes, critical points at the half and end of game, etc. and all that with 10 of 11 returning starters and year 4 in the system.

At some point, fans need to raise their standards esp. for a unit that's been given more resources than any unit in NFL history. LOL

If they don't want to play 82 snaps, MAKE A STOP.

PS: I'm speaking generally and not directly to you, Mr. richterkbelmont

Raise our standards? They had one of the top defenses last year that was on a historic trajectory before getting decimated by injuries, and it still wasn't good enough for you. I think this boils down to your disdain for Saleh

Correct. Which is why it's odd they aren't held to that to start 2020. In fact, they should be even better on continuity and health alone.

They lost the second best 3t in the NFL and are giving his snaps to AA, Sally and Kinlaw who are all huge steps down in talent.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

They exhausted themselves too. That's the point. You don't want to be on the field for 82 plays then make one on 3rd down and get off the field.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
They lost the second best 3t in the NFL

49ers never had Grady Jarrett.
IMO the offense (QB in particular) was the main reason for the loss. No sustained drives. Only TWO 3rd down conversions, zero 4th down conversions.

AZ had 78 plays on offense week 1 without a ton of team practices and conditioning...they were gassed late in the game.

This was probably the worse week 1 matchup SF could have had during this weird COVID yr.

That'll happen when your defense can't get off the field.

Nah, 2-11 on 3rd down.

I tried to tell people here....the 3-3-3 ISU defense is the way to go.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
IMO the offense (QB in particular) was the main reason for the loss. No sustained drives. Only TWO 3rd down conversions, zero 4th down conversions.

AZ had 78 plays on offense week 1 without a ton of team practices and conditioning...they were gassed late in the game.

This was probably the worse week 1 matchup SF could have had during this weird COVID yr.

That'll happen when your defense can't get off the field.

Nah, 2-11 on 3rd down.

Exactly. The Offense let us Down big time.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RasSuar:

I tried to tell people here....the 3-3-3 ISU defense is the way to go.

We need a new, innovative DC badly. Saleh really likes to call the same defense all game.
Originally posted by All22:
We need a new, innovative DC badly. Saleh really likes to call the same defense all game.

I actually don't think the defense played a bad game, per say. But I do wish Saleh would mix certain concepts. Going 3-3-3 would rest our defensive linemen and keep an extra safety to handle the inside/outside zone read from Kyler.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

Not every d-cord is comfortable switching up their scheme like bilichick
Originally posted by RasSuar:

I actually don't think the defense played a bad game, per say. But I do wish Saleh would mix certain concepts. Going 3-3-3 would rest our defensive linemen and keep an extra safety to handle the inside/outside zone read from Kyler.

LOL. 400 yards of offense (2nd to only the Saints game). Ras with the same standards for the OL too. Going places!

And Snake, it's 'per se'
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 15, 2020 at 5:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone