LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

So who plays RG now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Obviously Iupati is our starting LG. But who plays RG now? Baas or Rachel? Not only that but do we have a LT controversy on our hands? Its a problem, but a nice problem to have.

With the value in which the Niners placed on Davis by trading up. I think its pretty obvious that they project him to a LT. Thats an awfully high pick for a RT.

We have plenty to discuss though.
We just literally gave Solari & Brown some toys to play with, it's gonna be awesome how the depth chart turns out. -Not to mention both these guys are going to be showing up on time without holdouts!!!
My best guess would be (b/c you don't want two rookies starting next to each other)

Staley - Iupati - Heitmann - Rachel - Davis

Now, we can start working Baas into center or RG where I felt he played his best anyhow. In fact, I was never a fan of moving him to LG and felt he was really starting to come into his own at RG before the move.

The other option is this (less likely):

Davis - Baas/Chilo - Heitmann - Iupati - Staley

Now we just need to upgrade the scheme with a nice mix of spread and power running and some nice mixes of deep balls and end-arounds with Ginn.

Pass blocking may be poor to start but hopefully will get better as these guys grow in chemistry together.

If we STILL suck along the line, we know it's not Solari or d/t lack of talent - it was due to poor philosophy and an outdated NFL offensive scheme (most likely), IMHO
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM ]
Snyder. I mean, there'll be a competition etc., but I expect Snyder to be bumped inside to the RG spot, where he is better. I love the picks. We upgraded all 3 of our weakness spots on the OL with 2 picks.

Staley-Iupati-Heitman-Snyder-Davis

Nice
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My best guess would be (b/c you don't want two rookies starting next to each other)

Now, we can start working Baas into center or RG where I felt he played his best anyhow. In fact, I was never a fan of moving him to LG and felt he was really starting to come into his own at RG before the move.

Now we just need to upgrade the scheme with a nice mix of spread and power running and some nice mixes of deep balls and end-arounds with Ginn.

Pass blocking may be poor to start but hopefully will get better as these guys grow in chemistry together.

If we STILL suck along the line, we know it's not Solari or d/t lack of talent - it was due to poor philosophy and an outdated NFL offensive scheme (most likely), IMHO

You bring up a good point, I`m not sure I would want 2 rookies starting side by side either. However these are highly talented guys.
Originally posted by Dominate:

You bring up a good point, I`m not sure I would want 2 rookies starting side by side either. However these are highly talented guys.

I guess MM agrees...nice!

Originally posted by Kurtz49:
My dream draft. I like MM's OLine prediction:

Quote:
My projected 49ers offensive line for 2010: LT Joe Staley, LG Mike Iupati, C Eric Heitmann, RG Chilo Rachal, RT Anthony Davis.

MM Twitter
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Hmnnn....

Unless Davis has an OUSTANDING camp, he won't beat out Staley at LOT. I think what might be more of a possibility, or at least when camp starts out as:

Sims (training Davis) - Baas/Rachal - Heitman - Iupati - Staley

A rookie OLT starting in the NFL would be extremely risky. Davis may need to sit a season before getting to the field - again unless he has an OUTSTANDING camp.

Singletary isn't afraid to throw the rookies into the fire. He did that for Rachal, Crabtree, and Coffee.

Hmnnn....

Unless Davis has an OUSTANDING camp, he won't beat out Staley at LOT. I think what might be more of a possibility, or at least when camp starts out as:

A rookie OLT starting in the NFL would be extremely risky. Davis may need to sit a season before getting to the field - again unless he has an OUTSTANDING camp.

That may be a possibility as well as I forgot the need to rush Davis d/t Sims good play at LT last year. But do we want Davis blocking Smith's blind side as Staley is more proven there? In Davis' conference call, he's played both LT & RT (and RG). Interesting. With this lineup only Heitmann and Sims stay in the same position as last year. That's a lot of movement for these guys.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Hmnnn....

Singletary isn't afraid to throw the rookies into the fire. He did that for Rachal, Crabtree, and Coffee.

True but Crabtree had low expectations and wasn't the #1. Chilo had Heitmann and Snyder (vets) next to him and Coffee had to start d/t injury. I'm not sure you'd want two rookies on the left side starting together on Alex's blind-side.
Baas.

I would roll out

LT Staley LG Iupati C Baas RG Rachal RT Davis
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Hmnnn....

True but Crabtree had low expectations and wasn't the #1. Chilo had Heitmann and Snyder (vets) next to him and Coffee had to start d/t injury. I'm not sure you'd want two rookies on the left side starting together on Alex's blind-side.

Except Staley will be the starting LT and Davis will be the starting RT.

I don't think the two rookie problem will be too serious. Ray Brown can directly mentor Iupati and Rachal while Solari can improve Staley, Heitmann, and Davis.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
I would roll out

Hellz yea
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Hmnnn....

I agree.

But, LOT is a little different that RT and OG and even WR. Davis was the #1 scoring threat on the team so Crabtree didn't have to come in and be effective immediately. If Davis isn't effective, the passing offense will suffer - that is if we put Davis in at OLT, not ORT.

We started Staley at RT as a rookie before he transitioned to RT. Why can't the same be for Davis?
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by danimal:
I would roll out

Hellz yea

I would like this too!
Share 49ersWebzone