There are 199 users in the forums

Travis Benjamin a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
2 hours to go until opt out deadline. If Benjamin is all we lose I'm stoked! Bring back the whole squad! Finish the job this year!
Originally posted by Howlett49:
2 hours to go until opt out deadline. If Benjamin is all we lose I'm stoked! Bring back the whole squad! Finish the job this year!

Stoked if you're right!!
Originally posted by Howlett49:

Don't jinx it
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
getting greedy now NC

we don't need trick plays or the need to make a big play. Just get yardage and hold the damn ball

Haha. Field position is key. Do you remember the Superbowl? When we needed it most and Richie James was damn near muffing them, getting tackled by the first guy every time and when we needed it most, getting crushed at our own 15 yard line?

I prefer an option like Tyler Lockett who is a really good receiver AND returner.

Maybe Aiyuk is that guy now? Deebo would love the opportunity:

But under Hightower, we've has tremendous returners in Mostert, Reed and Pettis but he sticks with guys like Taylor/James. And Wishnowsky was touted as having the ability to be a weapon. I'm wondering if we're the ONLY team not to have run a single fake or trick play in the last 3-4 years.

I don't like the idea of having our top two receivers being return guys. Don't need to risk injury. I say give it to Pettis - he's down further on the depth chart then James or Taylor and it's probably the only thing that he can excel at.

You guys are missing a key element here. Pettis had already lost the job to Taylor. Taylor is trusted > by Hightower.

Yeah, but Taylor is going to be a key receiver in our offense this year - do you want him getting hurt again, returning punts and kicks?

Kyle has already debunked that theory. He simply wants the best guy back there no matter what.

That could be just coach-speak but Pettis reiterated that as well here at the 9:48 mark.

...and there's that mindset again: "I'm not opposed to it [being a returner]." Not exactly something he WANTS to do and then like he said, he lost out to Taylor (probably happy about that...LOL).

Hightower seems to be most focused on sure hands over play making ability.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM ]
I remember, i also remember Colquitt being one of the better punters also. James has been near solid at holding the ball the entire year.

Losing the ball on kicks are game changers. We don't need anymore Kyle Williams incidents anymore

I agree but did Pettis or Reed drop many in college?
I can see them using Aiyuk at times for Punt and kickoff returns. He did that in College.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I can see them using Aiyuk at times for Punt and kickoff returns. He did that in College.

Given he probably won't play a ton to start, like John Taylor, he could really make a mark here!
I remember, i also remember Colquitt being one of the better punters also. James has been near solid at holding the ball the entire year.

Losing the ball on kicks are game changers. We don't need anymore Kyle Williams incidents anymore

I agree but did Pettis or Reed drop many in college?
as nice as those college highlights are, the NFL is a different animal. I believe the last punt DP received, he was injured on ?
Pettis' chances got marginally better to make the team due to Benjamin opting out. I didn't have neither making the team, and i still don't have Pettis making the team.
I couldn't care less about this dude. Just a camp body was as much as I ever thought he was

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Pettis' chances got marginally better to make the team due to Benjamin opting out. I didn't have neither making the team, and i still don't have Pettis making the team.

oh he's making the team for sure.
Sadly, this is very true. He legitimately may make the team by default along because he's one of 3 WR's who at least know the offense...not that Garoppolo trusts him or will throw to him but at least he'll know his responsibilities and can be a decoy. Maybe?

Decoy . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I I literally fell out of my chair when I read that.

Seriously though, a decoy requires a credible threat that a defense is required to use a top defender on, requires a DC to scheme for. Why would Shanny use a largely unproductive WR that his own QB don't trust as a decoy? Just what has Pettis shown in his NFL career that warrants him anything lose to crediable decoy?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

Yeah at this point I don't see how he doesn't make the team...financially it makes little sense. They're on the hook for $1.4 of his $1.7M cap hit this yr and currently we have 3 WRs out (Deebo/Benji/James).

Kid wants a future in the NFL, it's now or never.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Sadly, this is very true. He legitimately may make the team by default along because he's one of 3 WR's who at least know the offense...not that Garoppolo trusts him or will throw to him but at least he'll know his responsibilities and can be a decoy. Maybe?

Decoy . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I I literally fell out of my chair when I read that.

Seriously though, a decoy requires a credible threat that a defense is required to use a top defender on, requires a DC to scheme for. Why would Shanny use a largely unproductive WR that his own QB don't trust as a decoy? Just what has Pettis shown in his NFL career that warrants him anything lose to crediable decoy?

Haha. Well, nobody else knows about him so they might treat him like he's legit for awhile.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

Yeah at this point I don't see how he doesn't make the team...financially it makes little sense. They're on the hook for $1.4 of his $1.7M cap hit this yr and currently we have 3 WRs out (Deebo/Benji/James).

Kid wants a future in the NFL, it's now or never.

My hope is he chooses *now* vs never. Or at least *never in Kyle's offense* ever again, kind of choice.

Hustle beats talent if talent doesn't Hustle.
--- David Lombardi.
Share 49ersWebzone