LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Make no mistake, Draft Defense First - or the 49ers offense will have no chance at the end

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The team still has 4 1st rounders on the d line. It will be just fine providing they can stay healthy.

Exactly, and a big problem at WR so that should be top priority.
Originally posted by miked1978:
if we draft another DL at 13 i'm going to join the list of complainers on this forum

Exactly, if they do then I'll know JL has the defensive blinders on.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung8:
The team still has 4 1st rounders on the d line. It will be just fine providing they can stay healthy.

for gods sake stop listing thomas in that list.. he has done nothing to justify that,.,. he has barely done enough to be qualified as a UDFA
Originally posted by SisterFister:
There's an old legend around these parts....

The best defense is an elite offense....

Yep, exactly what the 49ers were lacking in the SB which is why we saw an anemic offense struggle to put points on the board.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Yep, exactly what the 49ers were lacking in the SB which is why we saw an anemic offense struggle to put points on the board.

i thought kyle the wonderboy had 2 whole weeks to prepare for the super bowl
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Perfect points, genus. You nailed it.

KC got us out of our element. We wound up having to pass when we didn't want to. Our interior got eaten alive because that was their biggest weakness. You score points, the other team has to pass. We got behind late and had no choice. Overall, it's never necessarily one or the other. You have to be good enough collectively to win. Ultimately, we've just got to add the pieces that make us the most complete team possible.

Our most glaring weakness were clear from last year (in no particular order):

1. Deep speed and separation / jump ball threat at WR
2. Interior PP
3. Quality LB depth (Al-Shaair/Lee/Nzeocha the reserves behind Warner/Kwon/Greenlaw)
4. Quality S depth (Marcell Harris....)
5. The ability to stay healthy in certain areas.

We had a TON of DL depth last year, but somehow, we lost just about every bit of it. Ford got hurt, then Blair got hurt, then Damontre Moore got hurt, then Jullian Taylor got hurt, then Jones got hurt, Street came off IR then went back on it. That's more than half the DL. No team can carry enough on the roster to overcome that amount of injuries on their line.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! well said
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
If we draft a DT with our first pick, I will be irate. That makes the least amount of sense out of any positions I have seen brought up.

I couldnt possibly disagree with the OP more than I do.

Saying it's not our top need is one thing. But I don't see how anyone can say it makes the least amount of sense when our best and most consistent DT is gone. Unless of course you think Buckner's production is easily replaceable with the guys already on the roster which I don't agree.

It makes the least amount of sense because even without Buckner, our defensive line is still the strength of the team. With the 13th pick, we should be able to get a really good player. Why not try to improve areas of your team that really needs improving?

I stand by my opinion that it makes the least amount of sense out of any position I have seen brought up as a possibility.

One of them is a terrible bust and does not count.
Originally posted by SFrush:
If we draft a DT with our first pick, I will be irate. That makes the least amount of sense out of any positions I have seen brought up.

I couldnt possibly disagree with the OP more than I do.

Saying it's not our top need is one thing. But I don't see how anyone can say it makes the least amount of sense when our best and most consistent DT is gone. Unless of course you think Buckner's production is easily replaceable with the guys already on the roster which I don't agree.

It makes the least amount of sense because even without Buckner, our defensive line is still the strength of the team. With the 13th pick, we should be able to get a really good player. Why not try to improve areas of your team that really needs improving?

I stand by my opinion that it makes the least amount of sense out of any position I have seen brought up as a possibility.

Walsh, you can scheme to make the offense good, you need talent on D to make it good. D fell flat when there injuries on the line. Secondary looked good when the line got pressure. Faltered when it got tire and weak. Front seven. 49ers and Pats built from the trenches.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Walsh, you can scheme to make the offense good, you need talent on D to make it good. D fell flat when there injuries on the line. Secondary looked good when the line got pressure. Faltered when it got tire and weak. Front seven. 49ers and Pats built from the trenches.

What made this team special and fun to watch last year was the team defense and the running game. That was primarily done behind the efforts of the guys in the trenches and some excellent coaching. Our front four carried the team as far as it went but our OL wasn't dominant on the interior and it cost us in the Super Bowl. Not to mention KC got no holding calls against them miraculously.

Now that Buck is gone we may have to win differently. We may have to win on offense. Is Jimmy ready to be that guy? He may have to be if we can't dominate defensively all of a sudden. That said we almost have to go best player available at our pick at a position of need. Maybe that means making Jimmy job easier on offense this draft

Originally posted by NinerGM:
So I'd say that only a deep speed where a QB throws and the receiver actually catches the ball keeps defenses honest. When I look at this year's tape when Goodwin did play, people started ignoring his routes because we were taking slants and throwing mid-field almost exclusively. Yes is does have some effect, but not the very threat of one if it's not regularly realized. This works for teams (like the Chiefs) because they prove repeatedly that you'll pay for blitzing. When teams play the 49ers regardless of Goodwin's speed, defense don't believe (1) Jimmy will have enough time to throw and (2) when he does since he's not been doing it often enough in a run-first offense, chances are it won't hit. This is the design of every defense we've seen - make Jimmy beat you, IF you can.

Can a guy like Ruggs consistently get open? I have no doubt that he can and will but will the slant be open? Will Jimmy get the ball batted in his face because the OL isn't forcing DL to protect themselves keeping their hands down by punching properly or opening up passing lanes?

They may like Brunskill but I think our opinion of Brunskill may be higher than the coaches and the team. From film, I can only speculate that we're scheming around asking Brunskill to repeatedly being on a blocking island as a tackle (though we gradually asked him to do more and more) and since there isn't a ton of film on him at OG, I'm not so sure this is the answer yet. I think that's confirmed by the tender (1 year) the team has put on him while signing a Shanny vet from the Jets. This has all the makings of a camp competition in addition to someone we'll draft. Brunskill might be the answer, but that has yet to be seen and he'll again have to earn a starting role. Nothing will be given.

I do agree with the point that it's easier to find more talent at the top of the draft. However I think for OL, the deeper you get in the draft, the more development is needed and the longer it takes to add to shaky competition we have at IOL today. Our WRs going into the season save one are essentially healthy. I know we'll probably draft a WR. However our issues at OL are much more acute IMHO. We assume Richburg will be back according to him but haven't heard from Kyle or John give on this. Also Richburg has been hurt every season since being a Niner. For Kyle if there's one player that's second in importance to QB, it's OC. We have Garland in place but IMHO, that puts even more pressure on the guards to play well. And Person being unceremoniously cut tells me they really want more out of the position.

In any event, I agree, we have to come out of this off-season with both. I'm not as concerned about the order as I am about the player - both need to be able to compete with who we have on Day 1. That being said, I think there's a greater chance of a 2nd round WR (I'm assuming we'll be trading down with at least one of those picks) being able to compete with the WRs we have than a 2nd or 3rd round OG/OC being able to displace Garland or Compton or Brunskill.

Excellent points.
Originally posted by cciowa:

i thought kyle the wonderboy had 2 whole weeks to prepare for the super bowl
Exactly, he did but wonderboy still #$%^ the bed. I think you and I are in agreement on that.
Share 49ersWebzone