LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

My 2020 49ers offseason "predictions"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
compared to that last several offseasons/draft this year will be a snoozer

Yep. Sucks. Love the draft. Watching those prospects go in second, third, and fourth gonna be painful.

Should have lots of movement on the niners part, I expect them to come away with a 2nd, late 3rd, two 5ths, a 6th and two 7th rd picks, considering how good they have drafted I expect 2 starters out of this class.

It could be boring but if the Niners really get active with trades and start moving around it could end up being really interesting. Last year had no mystery at all and we were done on day one 15 minutes into the draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thl408:
I hope they make some sort of splash move to bring a feeling of something new to the 2020 team. Returning the same squad, minus some FA losses, while adding a few rookies isn't new enough. Don't know what it could be, but I think they get something done that sends a message to the players that the front office is going for it in 2020.

I think Lynch and Shanahan look to make the next big trade. Honestly, free agency doesn't look too exciting considering what the needs are on this team and their cap space compared to the top 10 teams cap space. I wonder if OBJ is still on their minds???
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I hope they make some sort of splash move to bring a feeling of something new to the 2020 team. Returning the same squad, minus some FA losses, while adding a few rookies isn't new enough. Don't know what it could be, but I think they get something done that sends a message to the players that the front office is going for it in 2020.

I think Lynch and Shanahan look to make the next big trade. Honestly, free agency doesn't look too exciting considering what the needs are on this team and their cap space compared to the top 10 teams cap space. I wonder if OBJ is still on their minds???

was just about to post this
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

After another changeover in Cleveland I wonder if he could be available and maybe for less?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Westbrooks isn't on the team...they released him the day after signing him. But, tend to agree with just about all the other guys...a little conflicted on Ward, but he played really well in 2019. Some guys do that in their contract year, then go on to be mediocre and he does have a spotty injury history. Wouldn't mind of they draft a S, just in case. Also on the fence a little w/Sanders...like what he did overall, but he seemed to disappear in a few games. He'll want to get paid...probably his last decent contract. That could be a snag.

I don't really think he disappeared. His targets were pretty consistent. In 7 out of his 10 regular season games he got 4-6 targets a game. In the 2 of the other 3 games he got more than that and had monster games. What I like aside from his steady veteran presence among the younger receivers is the guy always seems ready to make a play when it's needed.

He basically was carrying the passing offense in the first Seattle game without Kittle until he went out hurt in the first quarter. Dude was a playmaking monster against New Orleans and Arizona. He made the game sealing catch against the Rams. The team barely threw in the two playoff games because they didn't have too. He almost made the game saving play in the Superbowl. He beat the coverage and if Jimmy hits the throw then we're back on top late in the game.

I don't think he's gonna get paid but so much because he'll be 33 when the season starts. I think the team will work something out. They forked over some decent draft capital. I doubt they let him leave that quickly. I could see a two year deal happening.

ya i think people are underestimating not just sanders leadership but his hands and reliability. ya he missed a couple games with the rib thing, but he had the best hands on the offense(kittle was close) and was a catching machine. idk if he dropped any passes but he could be relied on to get us 3rd down conversions every single game and he always did. we DID NOT have that before him so im surprised people are just like eh let him go. we need that. that kind of hands an reliability is worth shelling out a chunk of cash in a cap-tight year. its worth it to keep that on your team. you cant draft a guy an just expect him to be that reliable right away unless hes the next jerry rice or julio jones which we will not be drafting.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think Goodwin replaces Sanders. Shanny recently said that Goodwin is too good to release.

He also said "I haven't seen him for a while. Marquise is a guy who can play in this league. If he's on this team, he's going to be competing with that group and, if not, I feel pretty confident another team would want him."

And

"You also don't get rid of valuable people just for nothing," Shanahan said. "So we'll have him come back and compete and if that doesn't work out we could always possibly trade him. There are lots of things that are open. But I don't know that exact answer yet."

You have to be very weary about coach talk this time of year. Kyle isn't going to say anything really negative about Goodwin. No reason to damage his trade value for nothing.

ya he also said hurd was about ready to come back an play halfway through the season. look how that turned out.

idk how long you guys have been paying attention but if you havent noticed by now shanahan just b******ts the media alot. alot of what he says ends up not being true so i wouldnt believe it that much, especially this goodwin talk.
Without the draft picks to improve the roster, the FO must me looking at the FA and trade route.

I really likes AA but I do think with the players coming back from IR along the Dline we can afford to lose him in a trade. The dline is a strength even without AA but the secondary is definitely not! I'd look to make a trade with the Lions: we get Slay (cb) they get AA. Compensation should be good for both sides and I think the money is about the same. But that move alone is a big improvement for our D.

I would take the best FS with 31 and viola, our D is improved over last year and is capable of dealing with a team like the Chief's.

Pick up an interior oline in the later rounds by packaging our 2 (5ths) and move up into the 4th.

On O, I think we have the pieces on the roster but just need them to be healthy (Taylor is the big one for me since he and Jimmy have great chemistry and he would greatly help on 3rd down and short with his quickness). But there is also McKinnon (big time restructure) who if healthy is a big addition to our O since he is very good catching out of the backfield which is something we really have not exploited. An Hurd as a second TE could be a monster as well.

excited for this offseason
Originally posted by 707Niners:
Re-Sign
Arik Armstead
Jimmy Ward
Emmanuel Sanders
Ronald Blair
Ben Garland

Losses
Jason Verrett
Levine Toilolo
Damontre Moore
Jordan Matthews
Dontae Johnson
Ethan Westbrooks
Anthony Zettel

Release/Trade
Release Tevin Coleman ($4.9 Mill)
Release Mark Nzeocha ($1.5 Mill)
Trade/Release Goodwin ($3.6 Mill)
Trade/Release Thomas ($4.3 Mill)
Release McKinnon ($4.5 Mill)

Restructure
Jimmy Garoppolo ($9 Mill)

Cap Saving: $28-29 Mill

Other Restructure candidates
Joe Staley
Dee Ford
Jerrick McKinnon (Said he'd do anything too stay)

I have Arik Armstead taking a team friendly deal, since the Niners never gave up on him, and allows them too re-sign key players. 5yr $90 Mill range just like Trey Flowers.

1st year - 7Mill cap hit
2nd year - 17Mill cap hit

Outlook
There's a slim chance this all happens, but it just all makes too much sense too me. You bring the whole Defense back. Trade back from 31st get a couple extra picks, sign a couple bargain Free Agents, and you go into next year just as good as last year or even better

If we redo Jimmy we save over $19M, but it's not likely to happen if Lynch is serious about not restructuring more deals.

I think Ward will either walk, test FA, or be back on a cheap 2yr deal ala Dashon Goldson.

I think we bring back some of our vets like Day, Zettel, Moore on 1yr minimum deals with no GTD money for camp. Garland is a keeper, as is Blair.

We don't save anything by cutting Thomas, we need to trade him to save the $4.3M.
Starting too really like the idea of trading AA for Darius Slay. Should be able too trade them straight up and Slay would save us around $3-4Mill.

Trade Witherspoon for a Draft Pick ($2.1Mill saved)
Keep Mosely as the primary backup

2020/2021 Secondary

CB - Richard Sherman / Tim Harris / Draft Pick
CB - Darius Slay / Emmanuel Mosely
Slot - K'Waun Williams / DJ Reed
FS - Jimmie Ward / Tarvarious Moore
SS - Jaquiski Tarrtt / Marcel Harris
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
If we redo Jimmy we save over $19M, but it's not likely to happen if Lynch is serious about not restructuring more deals.

I think Ward will either walk, test FA, or be back on a cheap 2yr deal ala Dashon Goldson.

I think we bring back some of our vets like Day, Zettel, Moore on 1yr minimum deals with no GTD money for camp. Garland is a keeper, as is Blair.

We don't save anything by cutting Thomas, we need to trade him to save the $4.3M.

We still save $4.3 Mill by releasing him, (unless Spotrac is lying too me) lol but I highly doubt we release him, it's basically his last year under contract and if the Front Office can't find a suitor too trade with, they'll just ride it out and see if he has a Jimmie Ward or AA moment.

This last season if we would've traded or released him, it would've cost the Niners $1.7Mill
[ Edited by 707Niners on Mar 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM ]

Starting too really like the idea of trading AA for Darius Slay. Should be able too trade them straight up and Slay would save us around $3-4Mill.

Trade Witherspoon for a Draft Pick ($2.1Mill saved)
Keep Mosely as the primary backup

2020/2021 Secondary

CB - Richard Sherman / Tim Harris / Draft Pick
CB - Darius Slay / Emmanuel Mosely
Slot - K'Waun Williams / DJ Reed
FS - Jimmie Ward / Tarvarious Moore
SS - Jaquiski Tarrtt / Marcel Harris

AA would have to agree to go to DET for any trade to work.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

We still save $4.3 Mill by releasing him, (unless Spotrac is lying too me) lol but I highly doubt we release him, it's basically his last year under contract and if the Front Office can't find a suitor too trade with, they'll just ride it out and see if he has a Jimmie Ward or AA moment.

This last season if we would've traded or released him, it would've cost the Niners $1.7Mill

Spotrac is wrong as usual, his deal is fully GTD.
our #1 this year and #2 next year for Julio
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

I wish, but the Falcons can't trade Julio till I believe after the 2022 season
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

Not feasible, Falcons would take on a $32M dead money charge to trade Julio.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

After another changeover in Cleveland I wonder if he could be available and maybe for less?

Maybe he'd reduce his number to play for a SB contender?

Browns certainly aren't going anywhere in the next 3 years.
Share 49ersWebzone