There are 172 users in the forums

Jamycal Hasty RB Baylor

Shop 49ers game tickets
Turned down 53 man roster opportunities to stay with us on the PS is amazing. I love that. Shows be really wants to be here and believes in what we are doing. I like
This guy even more than I did before
Originally posted by tankle104:
Turned down 53 man roster opportunities to stay with us on the PS is amazing. I love that. Shows be really wants to be here and believes in what we are doing. I like

He's just being smart. Why go to other teams when Kyle can make no-name Arbys into something. Ie. Breida, Mostert, Wilson

I'll bet money it was Rhule in Carolina too. Dude had nothing but great things to say about him while at Baylor.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I dislike him for this team. I didn't want us to draft him for all the reasons we've seen. It's not personal to him, it was always what he don't bring to this team. I think Pettis has taught Shanny a hard lesson about staffing for his scheme vs. for staffing for the realities of the NFL. When we drafted him I said then that you cannot stock your WR corps with a bunch of basically slot WR's and expect success. To a large degree Shanny is still working through this lesson. When Pettis was drafted I felt that his skillset was already on the roster. In my mind we only really had one WR on the roster who really didn't need the aid of scheme to get himself open consistently - Pierre Garçon. The rest were just speedy slot WR's with Bourne as the consistent possession WR (as he still is).

I knew BEFORE we drafted him that Pettis had serious commitment to football issues. When I was doing my mock research on him I sniffed commitment issues with him. But more than any of those warts I sniffed a strong odor of lack of toughness, just bare naked softness. More than anything this was something that REALLY bothered me, and when we drafted him I freely admit that it got under me good. Look, I've been coaching football and scouting for more than 15 years now. The two things I cannot stand in a player is a lack of touchiness and lack of commitment to the game. Nothing so turns me off on a player than lacking those two attributes. When I spot those deficiencies I sour on that player pretty quickly, talent be damned. Those things are like speed - you can't teach it. Either you have it or you don't. You simply can't coach, and as Shanny is learning you can't scheme, around those deficiencies. Those kind of players waste a lot of coaches time and resources. Trust me, I wasted a lot of both on the very same type of players like Donte Pettis, and have developed a strong nose to avoid them. So my stance against Pettis comes from experience with dealing with players like him. Nothing personal to him.

So yes, Pettis had no business being drafted by the 49ers, and even less business making the team over Jamycal Hasty.

I was never on board with the pick, I remember being at a local brewery watching the draft and saw we moved up…at that point I was hoping for Anthony Miller/ Christian Kirk or Kemoko Turay. In no way was Pettis even a thought that high (I really wanted Landry but Tenn moved ahead of us by a couple picks).

Pettis did however fit the mold of past Shanny WRs. He can separate and is very athletic. In college he actually had great hands (weird I know). Top end route-runner as well. IMO we didn't have a skill set like that on the team (Garcon wasn't a LT plan). As far as college film, which is all we had to go off of at that point, I didn't see a lack of toughness. You can't be a p***y and be the all-time punt returner. Speed wasn't a problem either, kid could get downfield.

So from film I totally got it after the fact. BUT like you said the commitment wasn't there. He was a great athlete in college, which makes you an okay athlete in the NFL. You got to do all the other stuff to separate yourself. A lot of his issues has been more mental then anything else. I think that lack of confidence has really messed him up here and he's over thinking things.

I also don't think he's a fit for the scheme Kyle has been running since Jimmy became the starter. He's not a horizontal WR. He's not a YAC monster. He's a separator outside the numbers IMO. He can get downfield and we just don't use those routes much (at least throwing the ball there).

In all wish the dude well, he's just not gonna be successful here...I think he can elsewhere there IF he actually commits to it.

I think we agree here for the most part. I have always felt that his skills and talent were a mismatch for his lack of physicality and lack of commitment. But Honestly I never thought he'd be better than a slot WR precisely due to those intangibles. He's simply not a good fit (mentally and physically), IMHO, to be an outside WR, even though his raw skill says he's a fit. Outside of the mentals he simply lacks the physicality for the NFL, much less the position. And you're definitely correct in that he can never fit into what Shanny has has had to evolve the scheme to. Like I said, I think Shanny is still working through some learned lessons about the WR position and how that position relates to his scheme.

I, too, wish him nothing but success. I honestly hope he finds an NFL coaching staff that can get it out of him. But that ain't happening as a 49er.
woops wrong page LOL
[ Edited by kansasninerfan on Oct 29, 2020 at 2:36 PM ]
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Gonna start this stud in fantasy with mixon, Raheem being out, wish me luck y'all's
Originally posted by JMC52:
Gonna start this stud in fantasy with mixon, Raheem being out, wish me luck y'all's

Same.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by JMC52:

Same.

Better pickup Juice! He will have 2 rushing TD's vs Seahawks.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by titan:

So he is loyal, hardworking, and talented. Sound like a Real Niner...Pay the man!!!

BALOGNY... i like the guy and all, but stop the FAKE NEWS...

what back would turn down a roster spot when you have MOSTERT-COLEMAN-JET-WILSON ahead of you?

NFL Drama..

Fake news from Coach Shanahan. 😂

U actin like this never happened before..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

I'll bet money it was Rhule in Carolina too. Dude had nothing but great things to say about him while at Baylor.

IF RHULE, or any other coaches or GM really liked him, especially Rhule (from Baylor), he shoulda used a late pick for him... he saw and coached him while in the front seat, and he didn't give his kid a chance?

but, I still say that he's name would have been bigger if there were pre season to see him showcase his talent.. as I posted before, I would not be surprise if ends up having the most rushing yard in a game by our RBs this year.

Shanny comes up w/a great game play agains Seattle, HE HASTY ME rushes for over 150 yards !!

Gonna start him as my Flex....I think he will get a big workload today. Who knows if Coleman is really healthy yet, and Jet just hasn't played much.
He should change his number to #2

Because he is butt fumble #2
I still think he is a good #2-3 back behind Mostert and Wilson.

Coleman and Mckinnon need to go
It's National JaMycal Hasty Day on Thursday
  • titan
  • Veteran
What happened to everyone that had him 👑!!! J/K he didn't have a very good game...our entire team didn't do well at all. I think he'll bounce back strong. We are going to need him on a lot of short thrift on Mullens.
Share 49ersWebzone