LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 162 users in the forums

2020 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Good stuff once again!

I was looking at the Saints and Buccaneers who seemed to be favored in the NFC and they don't concern me if all the guys that are injured were healthy for the most part. A lot of what will happen with the 49ers might be happening league wide in the off- season and next season as well. So while the team doesn't seem like a Super Bowl team at the moment if it lucks out keeping guys healthy and those that can make a difference like Bosa come back and play well it might be in the conversation for one of the best 4- 8 teams. However, it will depend greatly at QB and O- line.

Absolutely. In fact, the bold you said is the most fascinating to me. There's going to be a ton of quality players cut. We saw a surplus in DT and S's this last off season in free agency. A lot of quality players added to the Practice Squads.

Next year? There are going to be 1,000 trades and cuts and instant pickups. And quality players available because of cap cuts. It's even possible to see player contracts go down across the board.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Probably easier to list what we don't need.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Thanks. Obviously I didn't include any restructures and key cuts like AB but I was just curious what keeping our own would cost.

The lesson I learned...we're not going to buy one outside FA, we're going to cut a ton of cap raping players, expect trades of our own and expect a couple/few restructures.

It won't be a Superbowl team next year but it could have a real shot at making the playoffs IF the core stays healthy. IF.

If they resign all those guys and then factor in the draft and health, they are back to where they were prior to the injuries this year.

I'm factoring in a rookie QB, Ford gone, Richjured gone, etc.

Those are crucial positions. Meow, if they adequately replace those guys "production" then hell yeah, we're right back in the hunt. Just trying to be a realist.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Probably easier to list what we don't need.

Ya think?

I really only have QB added to the exact same top 3 needs as last year (in whatever order).

ER
OLX2
CB/DB

But I guess if we go granular you could say (until resigned):
QB, C, RG, RT, SWR, FB, TE2, ERx2, 1T, CB, SS, LS, PR
Cornerback
Quarterback
Dee Ford's replacement
Offensive Line
Thanks. Obviously I didn't include any restructures and key cuts like AB but I was just curious what keeping our own would cost.

The lesson I learned...we're not going to buy one outside FA, we're going to cut a ton of cap raping players, expect trades of our own and expect a couple/few restructures.

It won't be a Superbowl team next year but it could have a real shot at making the playoffs IF the core stays healthy. IF.

If they resign all those guys and then factor in the draft and health, they are back to where they were prior to the injuries this year.

Those are crucial positions. Meow, if they adequately replace those guys "production" then hell yeah, we're right back in the hunt. Just trying to be a realist.

Ok so if you are factoring a rookie QB, the JG is gone right? Then that means a huge chunk of change just opened up to fill those holes. Also worth noting that Niners were without Ford for much of the season and Richburg for the stretch run to the SB.

Ok so if you are factoring a rookie QB, the JG is gone right? Then that means a huge chunk of change just opened up to fill those holes. Also worth noting that Niners were without Ford for much of the season and Richburg for the stretch run to the SB.

I'll let you talk me into all of these positions and being Championship level again...

...just not about the OL.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Cornerback
Quarterback
Dee Ford's replacement
Offensive Line

Any preferred order?
Cornerback
Quarterback
Dee Ford's replacement
Offensive Line

Any preferred order?

Yes. QB 1st. Watch the game tonight. We ain't getting to the sb with Jimmy at this point with the defensive cap hits we have will be taking. Grab a rookie and trade for Ryan
Cornerback
Quarterback
Dee Ford's replacement
Offensive Line

Any preferred order?

Probably just switch corner and quarter and that's my order

My offseason plan ideas below.

Re-Signings:

QB Nick Mullens via the 2nd Rd RFA Tender
RB Jeff Wilson Jr. via either the 2nd Rd RFA Tender or try to get him to sign a 1yr $920K deal
RB Austin Walter 1yr ERFA Tender of $780K
FB Kyle Juszyzck to a new multi-year deal worth the same $5.25M a year
WR Kendrick Bourne to a 2yr deal worth $2.5M a yr
WR River Cracraft to 1yr ERFA Tender of $850K
TE Jordan Reed to a 1yr vet minimum deal
TE Ross Dwelley to a 1yr $920K deal(Non Tendered RFA)
C Ben Garland to a 1yr $2M deal
C Hroniss Grasu to a 1yr vet minimum deal
C Tony Bergstrom to 1yr vet minimum deal
RG Daniel Brunskill to 1yr ERFA Tender of $850K
LT Trent Williams to a multi-year deal worth $18M a yr
DE Kerry Hyder Jr. to a multi-year deal worth $3M a yr
DE Ronald Blair III to a 1yr $2M deal
DE Jordan Willis to 1yr vet minimum deal
NT D.J. Jones to a multi-year deal worth $5M a yr
MLB Joe Walker to 1yr vet minimum deal
CB Richard Sherman to a multi-year deal worth $10M a yr
CB K'Waun Williams to a multi-year deal worth $8M a yr
CB Jason Verrett to a multi-year deal worth $4M a yr
CB Emmanuel Moseley to 2nd Rd RFA Tender
CB Jamar Taylor to 1yr vet minimum deal
CB Ken Webster to 1yr ERFA Tender of $780K
SS Johnathan Cyprien to 1yr vet minimum deal
SS Marcell Harris to 1yr $920K deal (Non Tendered RFA)
SS Chris Edwards to 1yr ERFA Tender of $780K
LS Taybor Pepper to 1yr $920K deal (Non Tendered RFA)

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert to new multi-year deal worth $5M a yr
MLB Fred Warner to a new multi-year deal worth $18M a yr

Restructures or Pay cuts:

QB Jimmy Garoppolo restructure saves $18.42M
C Weston Richburg pay cut saving $5M
DE Dee Ford pay cut saving $8M
DE Arik Armstead restructure saves $4.528M
FS Jimmie Ward restructure saves $5.86M

Reserve/Futures deal(Our Practice Squaders):

FB Josh Hokit
WR Jauan Jennings
WR Kevin White
WR Shawn Poindexter
TE Chase Harrell
TE Daniel Helm
RG Dakoda Shepley
DE Alex Barrett
DT Willie Henry Jr.
NT Darrion Daniels
NT Josiah Coatney
SLB Jonas Griffith
CB Tim Harris Jr.
CB Parnell Motley
FS Jared Mayden
S Kai Nacua

Some notes, I don't see many teams spending crazy this coming offseason as the cap will likely be at most $175M-$180M, teams will have lost up to as much as $40M, look at OTC, check 2021 tab on cap space page, look at effective cap room, that's the true cap room with the required 51 players signed for the top 51 rule. So I can see Hyder maybe getting a bit more, but I doubt someone will overpay for him, except maybe if Saleh takes the DET job.

Obviously the draft will be huge, we have, as of now, 9 potential picks, our 1st, our 2nd, our 4th, our 5th, NO's 5th, a Comp 5th for losing Sanders, our 6th, out 7th, & NYJ's 7th.

I'd like to see the team add the following positions to the team.

Wide Receiver in the 3rd-4th rd range, try to find another gem, we won't get a Deebo or Aiyuk there, but you never know

Center at some point, doubt Kyle drafts one high, honestly we have bigger needs than a C, I think Brunskill's done a good job at C considering he'd never taken a snap there before this year

Guard at some point, again doubt Kyle drafts one high, I have high hopes for McKivitz, I'm not upset by him getting abused by Aaron Donald, every OL does, dude is a beast, best DT in the NFL IMO, but we need a better LG, I do like Laken and all, but I'd move on, save like $3.4M after taken into consideration the top 51 rule.

EDGE rusher, preferably high, would like to find a speed rusher to go with Nick Bosa for the future, obviously Dee won't be here long term, I would still get him to take a pay cut, keep him for 2021, adding no future dead money, giving him 1 last chance, if he doesn't play well or play you cut bait in 2022.

Cornerback high, we need to think of the future, I love Verrett and Moseley, also love Sherm & K'Waun, but we need to hit on a blue chip CB prospect, we failed with Witherspoon, really thought after his first 4 games of 2019 he was a potential #1 or #2 CB, but not anymore. As for Sherm & K'Waun, I want both back, obviously with Jamar Taylor likely out with a Torn ACL, he won't be back by week 1 2021, so re-signing K'Waun is more important now than ever, and Sherm proved to me he still has a lot left in the tank, 2-3 yr deal is well worth it. But I could see him following Saleh to DET if Saleh gets the DET job, but I have a hard time believing they'll hire another defensive minded HC, plus they could just be doing a potential Saleh interview to satisfy the Rooney rule, I know you now can get compensation for losing minority coaches, but, I love Saleh, and pray he sticks, but would love to see him get a HC gig, especially after all the hate he took early on here.

Safety depth, I'm all for Sherm at FS and Moore at SS, I like Harris more now than I did before, Ward is the one I'm unsure of, he had, probably his best career game ever Sunday, he's a good player, certainly not a ballhawk FS, but he's good, if we could get away with not redoing his deal I'd be happy to keep him, as for Sherm, look at guys who played Safety like Ed Reed who weren't speedsters, they excelled, also Ronnie Lott, so I really think Sherm could be a very good Safety, as for Moore, he's proven he can play SS IMO with Tartt out, who I'd let walk.

I left off Quarterback, as I still have faith in Jimmy, and like Mullens a lot, but if they decided to move on from him, they'd have to cut him, he apparently, which I didn't know about, has a no trade clause for 2021, so it might be very hard to move him and get back good compensation, not gonna say he'd pull a T.O. in which we get screwed in the deal, but, he may play hard ball, not wanting to go to whatever team wants him, if NE wanted him back, I think he'd be open to it, but again compensation, I refuse to trade him for cheap, like T.O. went for.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
My offseason plan ideas below.

Re-Signings:

DE Kerry Hyder Jr. to a multi-year deal worth $3M a yr
CB Richard Sherman to a multi-year deal worth $10M a yr
CB Jason Verrett to a multi-year deal worth $4M a yr

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert to new multi-year deal worth $5M a yr
MLB Fred Warner to a new multi-year deal worth $18M a yr

Damn fine work AB. The only ones I'd debate objectively would be these listed. Hyder and Verrett are going to cash in on FA. That's way too low for both IMHO. That means Sherman might be gone but his figure looks right; same with Williams.

As to Mostert, we just restructured his deal and he was injured most of the year. No need to do anything with that deal. The MLB market is pretty stable. I'd consider pushing Warner's deal to next year when the rest of the league is more stable.

And Hyder isn't too far out either:

[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 6, 2020 at 8:14 AM ]
As I wss saying ^

We need a whole new secondary. At least CB's. I wouldn't resign any of them but we may have to.
Share 49ersWebzone