LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Why did you become a fan in the first place

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First and foremost I enjoyed reading everyone's posts! Lots of cool stories.

Reading the thread got me thinking about when exactly I became a fan. I was born in 84. I grew up in Stockton, which is a mixed bag of 49er, raider, and cowboy fans (has a lot to do with red and blue unfortunately). To be honest though, I can't recall a time in my life that I wasn't a 49er fan. I have no memories as a child where I was not a fan of this team. I grew up watching games with my parents in the 80's. But, I'm a bigger fan than family. There's no particular game that comes to mind because I watched all of them, I think. I remember getting so mad then the team would lose because it was so rare that we lost in the 80's and 90's. I started college in 02 (go sun devils!), which was right around the time we became awful. I would sit in the in the back of this bar called the Vine in Tempe and watch us lose game after game, year after year. My generation was definitely spoiled growing up with the all of the winning. It made being a fan so easy. But, the losing made me really appreciate the good/great seasons we have now. We just have to enjoy all of the great wins, and try not to let the huge losses break us, even if a part of me may have died in that 4th quarter in February. Let's all cheers to this team and the great history we have. Hopefully we can add number 6 this year. Go niners!
I didn't pick them, they picked me. That's what I tell everyone who asks.

Born and raised in NJ. Became a fan in 76/77. I have a picture of me and my sister standing on our frozen pool while it was snowing wearing a 49ers ski cap. No one in my family knew where it came from. I still don't know. I was about 10-11 at the time. I think a possibility may be because my sister was a Raider fan back then, she's 3 years older and we were always very competitive growing up. All I know is when we moved to FL in 77 I was a complete fan. Games were hard to find and I was too young to hit the sports bars. Thankfully they got better and were on TV a lot shortly after.

I never miss a game now, haven't for many years. Oh, and I still have the ski cap.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I grew up and live in Wisconsin and the 1982 Superbowl was the first football game I had ever watched with my dad. Ever since then I have been a fan. I loved how the 9ers dominated through the 80's and 90's. You could tell by how the other team acted in pregame that they knew they were going to lose. The 49ers were the best, they were the standard that everyone looked up to and emulated...from the Jerry Jones and he Cowboys to Bill Belichick and the Patriots. I also live 30 minutes south of Green Bay and listening to the delusional Packer fans and radio personalities when they get their asses beat by the 49ers is heaven. Even to this day when I listen to local sports radio they are still talking about the ass beating they took last year by our great team. GO 9ers
[ Edited by MarkD on Apr 17, 2020 at 11:25 AM ]
was born in San Fran
I became a fan to help cool the hot summer days.
My grandfather and dad are die hard fans, and not early 80's band wagon fans either. My Grandpa had a picture with the million dollar backfield.

Personally, I didn't really become a True diehard fan till 2006. It was my freshmen year of high school, I was playing football for the first time, so I started appreciating the game more. That season is when I watched frank gore play for the first time, and I've been hooked ever since. I can count the number of games I've missed since then on one hand.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Born in sf, saw my first football game at the nfccg against the cowboys in 1994. Didnt understand what i was seeing since i was clueless about football but the niners won. I was hooked since.....up until 2017 when lynch was hired. Became a die hard steelers fan since.

[Deleted] Nvm. Don't want to detract from the sweet vibe in this thread.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Apr 18, 2020 at 6:46 AM ]
Superbowl 92 yard drive Montana to Taylor cemented it for me.

Grew up in Seattle. Horrendous sports town save for soccer (still is; don't let the 2012's fool you). Hawks games were blacked out often (or large Corporations bought masses of tickets to avoid blackouts) and next regional coverage was, naturally, the 49ers during the 80's and 90's.
Watching Montana instill fear on the part of opposing teams, especially in the last 2 minutes got me hooked.

Watching the Niners execute from Walsh even through Mooch, other teams' play was just slop in comparison.
From CT, and in 4th grade I was pen pals with Bubba Parris's son.

I was looking for something to complain about.
Truth is that it is in my genes.
Dad was an usher at Kesar from '46-'49 when he was a SF HS football player.
The family, dozens of cousins etc are all 49er fans.
I loved watching Steve Young and I grew up in the Bay Area

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I was looking for something to complain about.

This is the fan I became eventually during Nolan/Singletary era.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
was born in San Fran

*whispers* then you know we don't call it "San Fran"
early 1980's

3 year old me: "Grandpa, what are you watching?"
Grandpa: "Football."
Me: "Who are the good guys?"
Grandpa: "The guys with the gold hats."
Share 49ersWebzone