LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Blame game : what was the defining moment of our loss ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Blame game : what was the defining moment of our loss ?

It was a difficult loss not just because of the blown 10 point lead with only 8 minutes left in the game, but also because it forced the realization of a few things:

1) Kyle out smarts himself — abandoning the run when it was giving 5+ yards per carry

2) Jimmy G isn't able to carry the team on his back in the clutch yet, and we don't know if he will ever be. He might be able to someday, but we are not sure if that will happen, which sucks at this stage going into his 4th season with the team and the fact he's 4 years older than Mahomes.

3) We are less talented than we thought at certain positions. Sherman looked slow and can't handle speed WRs. Our interior OL has problems. Our safeties got beat especially Ward on that 3rd and 15.
The blown coverage on 3rd and 15 was a game changer. We were still up by 10 and if we hadn't let Hill get open Mahomes either would have been sacked or the ball would have been incomplete. Maybe even intercepted. That ball was in the air for a long time. That one play lit the fire under the Chiefs and Mahomes. They scored a TD right after that and were back in the game.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Rascal:
The 3rd and 15 was more than just blown coverage because the pass rush didn't get home neither. I will say again, we should have blitzed more and sent 5. But, once he made that play, it was the beginning of the end. Again, to me it was due to the lack of blitzing. He was able to move the chains at will. Our secondary were playing so off which allowed them to make big gains on every down to move the chains. We couldn't make a stop to save our lives.

This. I understand playing off b/c of their speed but you gotta send some pressure to go with that. Ward did a horrible f**king job. I mean he was 15 yards off. He could've easily made a play on the ball if he were anywhere near Hill.

Not sure why the Jimmy G missed pass to Sanders isn't on this poll

Moseley is the one who messed up on that play. He bit on the under route that went inside.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Shanahan's playcalling doesn't bother me in the least. Every single weekend during the season we here fans b***h and moan about coaches being conservative and "playing not to lose". I have no problem with him going for the jugular.

What are today's headlines if Garoppolo doesn't overthrow Sanders in the 4th quarter?

Silly. Go 15-3 doing one thing great. Then change it up in the 4th qtr of the SB while up 10 is just bad coaching.
Nobody brought their A game. Nobody.

Cant expect to win the SB playing a game filled with miscues and bad decisions.

Everybody takes blame on this L. I guess I'd lean to the baffling play calls from Shanny as the biggest reason, but everyone gets some credit for the loss.
  • Kyzen
3 chances to score one single TD by our franchise QB with 6 mins to go and a 10 point lead. That's it.
When Jimmy missed Kittle over the middle, there was a big upsetting feeling in my stomach. And I don't think it was the nachos
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Nobody brought their A game. Nobody.

Completely disagree with this.
There's far too much b***hing about the play calling. The Chiefs sold out to stop the run in the 4th. I've been a supporter of Jimmy from the beginning, but this one's on him. He missed on too many passes, most critically the bomb to Sanders and the open Kittle. I'm sure he hits that bomb in practice. It was anxiety that caused the overthrow. He played tight in crunch time.

This one's on Jimmy.
The 3rd and 15 play because it was a combination of blown coverage and an ABSURDLY obvious holding call against Nick Bosa right in front of the refs which didn't get called. Before Mahomes even threw the pass and I saw that Hill was wide open I was screaming at the TV and looking for the flag.

I couldn't believe they didn't call that. IMO that completely changed the game. I don't like blaming refs for a loss because we still had our chances but that was just one of the many non calls/calls which went against us with this game being incredibly one sided when it came to officiating. It simply shouldn't happen in a game like that.

If you're going to say ok this is the Superbowl we're just going to ignore all the PI/holding rules then make sure you keep that consistency yet Moore gets flagged and Kittle gets flagged.

That 3rd and 15 was a f**king dagger right to the heart.

I felt mine sink in my chest after that play.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
After the Moore pick, settling for a FG. That's when I knew the window was left wide open for KC.
Originally posted by audick:
There's far too much b***hing about the play calling. The Chiefs sold out to stop the run in the 4th. I've been a supporter of Jimmy from the beginning, but this one's on him. He missed on too many passes, most critically the bomb to Sanders and the open Kittle. I'm sure he hits that bomb in practice. It was anxiety that caused the overthrow. He played tight in crunch time.

This one's on Jimmy.

No. This isn't on any one person. Jimmy missed the throw to Sanders but that's not exactly an easy throw.

Jimmy has always delivered in crunch moments but just because it's the SB and he missed a bomb to a guy who came onto the team midway through the season after throwing a dime to Kittle earlier in the game(a guy he's worked with for several years now) blaming him is an overreaction IMO.

Simply put this was a joint loss. Chiefs are a very good team and they had impact guys who made key plays for them like Chris Jones and Patrick Mahomes but it's even harder to beat a talented team like that when you're playing by a different set of rules than you're used to and only one team seems to get the benefit of it.
The 3rd and 15 was the game changer, but they still had two drives to work with and win the game.

Kyle's game management is why we lost. I get if you want to blame Jimmy G., but with all three timeouts and the 2 minute warning as his disposal, Kyle could have called anything he wanted with that fat playbook of his. Instead, he couldn't even be arsed enough to call a timeout when they were at 4th and 10, and despite the team being clearly rattled.
Originally posted by HERN:
After the Moore pick, settling for a FG. That's when I knew the window was left wide open for KC.

Yea I really wanted them to go for that.
Share 49ersWebzone