There are 206 users in the forums

What Players Will Not Be on the Roster Next Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by Lott94:
[b]
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Sanders? You don't give up a 3rd for a half season rental. He will be a 49er next season.

If Taylor and Hurd were healthy this season, I doubt we would have traded for him. The fact that Shanahan went into the SB with 4 WRs suited up and the fact that his offense was humming while only targeting 3 per game for most of the season tells you all you need to know about the value of WRs in his offense. Having a Julio type is something he is missing, but Sanders is not that. If both side can agree on compensation he will be back, but if not, they can let him walk, despite what they gave up for him. Not to mention, they will get a 3rd or a 4th back if someone else is willing to pay him more than we are, so we don't have to overpay to make the deal worth it.

I believe with comp picks, it depends on number of players signed and number of players lost.

Do you expect us to give a contract to another FA not on our team that matches or exceeds what Sanders gets in FA? If not then we will get a comp pick if he leaves.
Can someone explain to me how we went from being one of the best cap situation teams to one of the worst, when we have purposely structured the deals to help with cap space?
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
If Taylor and Hurd were healthy this season, I doubt we would have traded for him. The fact that Shanahan went into the SB with 4 WRs suited up and the fact that his offense was humming while only targeting 3 per game for most of the season tells you all you need to know about the value of WRs in his offense. Having a Julio type is something he is missing, but Sanders is not that. If both side can agree on compensation he will be back, but if not, they can let him walk, despite what they gave up for him. Not to mention, they will get a 3rd or a 4th back if someone else is willing to pay him more than we are, so we don't have to overpay to make the deal worth it.

We traded for Sanders because Pettis/ Goodwin flopped. Hurd and Taylor could never fill the Desean Jackson role in Shanny's offense. You need vertical threats. I'd put Sanders returning at 50/50. They may go to the draft but with limited picks even that's tough. Not sure how we can go back to Pettis after we neutered him this past year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 14, 2020 at 6:09 AM ]
Originally posted by raywm3:
Can someone explain to me how we went from being one of the best cap situation teams to one of the worst, when we have purposely structured the deals to help with cap space?

Because we have by far and away the most young talent in the league. You got to pay them eventually.
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,963
Keep the core of the team together as much as possible. I don't know if we will win the SB, but this is definitely built to go back again.
I hate this crap. I really wish football hadn't gotten to this point where every year you have to be concerned about keeping players. You can get all excited about the combine and the draft only to be brought down by losing a key player because you can't afford him. It's like one step forward and 2 steps back. Even if you manipulate the cap and squeeze players in you are usually just pushing the problem back another year. Eventually it catches up to you.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
If Taylor and Hurd were healthy this season, I doubt we would have traded for him. The fact that Shanahan went into the SB with 4 WRs suited up and the fact that his offense was humming while only targeting 3 per game for most of the season tells you all you need to know about the value of WRs in his offense. Having a Julio type is something he is missing, but Sanders is not that. If both side can agree on compensation he will be back, but if not, they can let him walk, despite what they gave up for him. Not to mention, they will get a 3rd or a 4th back if someone else is willing to pay him more than we are, so we don't have to overpay to make the deal worth it.

We traded for Sanders because Pettis/ Goodwin flopped. Hurd and Taylor could never fill the Desean Jackson role in Shanny's offense. You need vertical threats. I'd put Sanders returning at 50/50. They may go to the draft but with limited picks even that's tough. Not sure how we can go back to Pettis after we neutered him this past year.

Pettis wasn't in the dog house until after the Seattle game, Sanders played in the 2 games before that. Goodwin didn't miss a start until the Sanders trade, and then came back for the Seattle, Arizona, and Baltimore games before he was put on IR.
IMO, the only sure one is Goodwyn.

McK should be gone but you never know.

CJ is being paid peanuts and could be added to a trade to sweeten the deal but for some reason I see KS keeping him.

I don't thing Pettis is gone and Solomon will probably stay too.
Thomas Goodwin Pettis Breida McKinnon gone.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by raywm3:
Can someone explain to me how we went from being one of the best cap situation teams to one of the worst, when we have purposely structured the deals to help with cap space?

Because we have by far and away the most young talent in the league. You got to pay them eventually.

We haven't even started resigning the young guys yet. It's because we have been spending a lot in FA and with trades. Ford, McKinnon (w.e his name is) K Alexander, Sherman, Juice, Gould, all those added up quickly.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM ]

Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Pettis wasn't in the dog house until after the Seattle game, Sanders played in the 2 games before that. Goodwin didn't miss a start until the Sanders trade, and then came back for the Seattle, Arizona, and Baltimore games before he was put on IR.

Sanders came in midseason then got banged up and had a reduced role for a few weeks. It's not surprising they hung around for a bit.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 14, 2020 at 9:18 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 47,422
The only one that I think won't be back is McKinnon - he's been stealing enough money.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,630
Originally posted by mayo49:
The only one that I think won't be back is McKinnon - he's been stealing enough money.

That greedy lil thief can go squat 600 pounds on another team
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 47,422
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by mayo49:
The only one that I think won't be back is McKinnon - he's been stealing enough money.

That greedy lil thief can go squat 600 pounds on another team

lol
Ethan Westbrooks
Share 49erswebzone