LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Your Favourite Niners Super Bowl Team? (or, Rank 1-8)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Favourite Niners Super Bowl Team? (or, Rank 1-8)

ill vote in two weeks.
'12 or '19 for me since I'm young.

'19 will be added to the burn pile if we don't bring home the Lombardi
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
This team closes the deal it will be the 2019 squad. 1989 and 1994 will always have a special place in my heart. I became a 49ers fan as a young child in the mid '80s, so my first experience was the golden era, and at that time I knew nothing but sustained excellence. These last 25 years have taught me the harsh reality of the NFL. It's been excruciatingly painful to experience the decline from excellence to mediocrity to absolute garbage and points in between. That's why winning number six this year will be so sweet.

Same here. First football game for me was SB vs Broncos. Been a fan since. 89 and 94 hold a special place for me, particularly 94 because I understood the emotions of the game and it felt great to see Young thrive in that offense Shanahan laid out. But if this 2019 squad pulls it off, they will be there close to the top for me.
I was not familiar with the NFL in '81 or '84, just read about your equivalent of our Cup Final in the papers. I got into the game during the 1988 season and the '88 SB was the first live NFL game I ever watched (in the middle of the night, to my parents' amusement). I fell in love with that team so that's always been my favourite.

'89 was the best ever. '94 had the Dallas "monkey off our backs" sense of relief. But '88 is my golden memory.

If we win it all this year it will be a contender for all time favourite, not least because I didn't think we had it in us (I picked us to finish 6-10 and I was fed up with Shanahan trying to get square pegs into round holes to make his system work). But first win it all. Otherwise it will be a dear, but bittersweet memory like the other almost Cinderella story of 2011 (f---ing Kyle Williams ).
When Joe Montana was asked which was the best SB team of all, he quickly said, "1984". Only one loss and that was caused by a terrible pass interference call on Eric Wright in the end zone. After the game the referee admitted he blew the call. That call prevented the Niners from finishing undefeated. Easily the best of all-time. 18-1.
So i was born in December of 1981, so I wasnt old enough to watch the '82 Super Bowl ('81 team). I have vague recollections of the game vs Miami. I was 3 years old and I remember my dad explaining the Marino v Montana thing. Its the first Super Bowl I watched. But still was probably more interested in playing with my action figures than watching that game.

But by '88 I was into it. That was the first pro football season I really paid attention to. I became a huge fan of the sport that year.

I had no real allegiance. My dad was a Raiders fan but growing up in SC we really didnt have a team. I remember I really enjoyed watching Randall Cunningham. I loved the Rams and Bengals helmets.

So when Super Bowl XXIII came around I actually started the game pulling for the Bengals, because I liked their helmets. Now I am a Gamecock fan, so is my dad. And he was not pulling for any team that had a Tiger as their mascot (we hate Clemson) so we were on opposite sides of the fence to start the game.

But watching that drive to win the game and seeing Joe Montana & Jerry Rice work I absolutely fell in love. By the time John Taylor caught that TD I was hooked.

I will say that while that memory still sits paramount in my mind, and the 55-10 win over the Broncos was so much fun (my mom had a crush on John Elway and was pulling against my Niners) I think the '94 season and Super Bowl was the most special to me.

I was absolutely crushed when we lost in 1990 to NYG. The injury to Joe made me cry. That taste in my mouth lingered for 4 years and was hard to shake as a fan. Those losses to Dallas in the playoffs. It was just tough.

Then we go out and sign Ken Norton, Rickey Jackson and Deion Sanders (who I worshiped) and I just knew we were going to win it all. Watching that season play out and people doubting us, believing Dallas would still ultimately win. The throwback unis. Just everything about that season was special to me. Finally getting to the top of the mountain again after 4 years was special.

This year could rival that if we close the deal. This could be the first Super Bowl victory since I have become an adult. This team was not one I saw coming. I thought we would be a lot better but still thought we would finish 3rd in the division. This team is young and unproven. I just didnt believe they were capable of something like this. Early in the season it took me a few weeks to figure out we had a shot at the playoffs. Then realizing we had a shot at the division. Then Home Field advantage, then the Super Bowl. Its just been an strange and fun journey watching this team come from nowhere.

Hopefully they finish the job.
94 just because it was the only one we won that I was old enough to appreciate, with 89 being a close second because watching that Super Bowl is the reason why I'm a Niner fan in the first place. Next would be this year's team.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Jan 21, 2020 at 5:54 AM ]
88' because the team was resilient. a comeback team which made the season super exciting after the 87' debacle.
losing to the Vikings in a colossal upset!
Originally posted by jcs:
My greatest childhood 49er moment...

Yeah I wasn't even nervous cause I knew Joe and Jerry and John would go down the field and score!
Maybe a lot of you were too young but this is not even close. THE 1984 TEAM WAS THE BEST TEAM EVER!
[ Edited by Curlin on Jan 21, 2020 at 5:54 AM ]

88 or 89, either. I have a journal entry from when I was 12 after the 55-10 blowout with the Broncos, in which I mentioned that "Elway seemed stoned he was playing so bad, he totally smoked too much weed before he got on the field" then also included some of these thoughtful sentiments:
"Joe gets a TD on every pass,
While Broncos just sit around and pick their ass, watched them cry, watched them groan, they know they got wasted in the Superbowl".

Lol good times.
Watch the second quarter of the 1984 Super Bowl, total annihilation.
Well if we win this year, then i'd say this year. ONLY because this would be the first superbowl win i'd get to witness Live.

I was too young to really remember the 94 SB. Born in 88, i definitely missed the 88 and 89.
It depends on what you mean by favorite. The 1981 team didn't have the best players but they will always be my favorite because they were the 1st. They set the table for that great run of titles and 10 win seasons. If you were a fan from the 50's like me, you had to be at that NFC title game to see the emotion on the faces of the long time fans when that game ended. I loved every one of those teams, but that first one is like your first love. You don't forget.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It depends on what you mean by favorite. The 1981 team didn't have the best players but they will always be my favorite because they were the 1st. They set the table for that great run of titles and 10 win seasons. If you were a fan from the 50's like me, you had to be at that NFC title game to see the emotion on the faces of the long time fans when that game ended. I loved every one of those teams, but that first one is like your first love. You don't forget.

post of gold.. the thread should be locked because this is the total truth
Share 49ersWebzone