LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Will we be able to afford & keep our D-line intact?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will we be able to afford & keep our D-line intact?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Got to keep AA - hopefully, he gives us a home town discount, otherwise franchise him.

I *hope* we can keep him, but also I *hope* ShanaLYnch is able to grab the opportunity if somebody offers two number 1 picks for him (if we somehow do some sort of franchise tag shenanigans) That stuff is too complicated for me. I'm waiting for AB81 to weigh in on the matter. Personally, I hope we use that 32nd pick (hope hope) in the 2020 draft on another DLineman - preferably an edge rusher. To develop behind Solomon and the rest of the first round DLinemen.
AB81 got parking lot bullied out of here by some useless dbags.

It happened. It happened and we let it happen.

I miss AB.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Thats because of two things.

1) Everyone worried about Bosa and Ford when hes healthy;

2) We are giving him lots of mismatches lining him up against guards.

We are the only team where Armstead finds 1) and 2).

We are the only team where we scheme 6"8" dts to line up against guards and centers.

If he goes anywhere else hell turn back into a pumpkin.

Yeah Cards fans said a lot of the same stuff about Calais Campbell before he left and all he did was go to Jacksonville and ball out.

Armstead was one of the top run stuffing DLs in football a year ago, before either Bosa or Ford were on the team. He's received more opportunities sure but he's also helped give them opportunities for sacks by getting teams into those 3rd and long situations.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah Cards fans said a lot of the same stuff about Calais Campbell before he left and all he did was go to Jacksonville and ball out.

Armstead was one of the top run stuffing DLs in football a year ago, before either Bosa or Ford were on the team. He's received more opportunities sure but he's also helped give them opportunities for sacks by getting teams into those 3rd and long situations.

Disagree with the comparison between Campbell and Armstead. Very different players. Not sure armstead sees success on the pass rush as a two or three down de. Not a quick enough thinker toshut down read option on his own.
Disagree with the comparison between Campbell and Armstead. Very different players. Not sure armstead sees success on the pass rush as a two or three down de. Not a quick enough thinker toshut down read option on his own.

Different players, impactful in their own ways. Bosa and Ford didn't make Armstead into a top notch run defender. He was that a year ago. What has happened is that OL's are now stretched thin trying to block everyone and Armstead has been working over guards and tackles alike in those 1 on 1 matchups.

He has shown substantial progress over the past 3 years. He was a project that has developed into a fine player.
If there's a will, there's a way.
#91 won't be going anywhere. They'll franchise him if necessary.
The more important question is will I be able to afford living in the bay area
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Different players, impactful in their own ways. Bosa and Ford didn't make Armstead into a top notch run defender. He was that a year ago. What has happened is that OL's are now stretched thin trying to block everyone and Armstead has been working over guards and tackles alike in those 1 on 1 matchups.

He has shown substantial progress over the past 3 years. He was a project that has developed into a fine player.

Could be. Ill need to see another season to verify. Underwheming his first 2-3 seasons.
Got to keep AA - hopefully, he gives us a home town discount, otherwise franchise him.

I *hope* we can keep him, but also I *hope* ShanaLYnch is able to grab the opportunity if somebody offers two number 1 picks for him (if we somehow do some sort of franchise tag shenanigans) That stuff is too complicated for me. I'm waiting for AB81 to weigh in on the matter. Personally, I hope we use that 32nd pick (hope hope) in the 2020 draft on another DLineman - preferably an edge rusher. To develop behind Solomon and the rest of the first round DLinemen.

Wait, seriously?

He's such a valued member here. That's awful.

Tissue?

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Geeze, marvin and now AB81? That totally sucks.
I know AA is in a contract year. But who else is in a contract year?
I'm seeing a lot of optimism about keeping AA, but even Lynch himself has cast doubt on whether we're going to be able to retain him:
"Arik has been tremendous for us this year ... Arik's going to make a lot of money, whether it's with us or somebody else. He's playing really well and bringing a lot to the table.

So we're glad we have him, and we're going to work hard to try to keep him, but you can only sign so many."

These comments were from a bit earlier in the season. Maybe, since he ended up having such a great season, AA has gone from a "nice to have" to a "must have" in the FO's eyes. We'll see what happens though.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I know AA is in a contract year. But who else is in a contract year?

Sanders
Ward
Garland
Day
Blair
Bourne (RFA)

And some others
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
I'm seeing a lot of optimism about keeping AA, but even Lynch himself has cast doubt on whether we're going to be able to retain him:
"Arik has been tremendous for us this year ... Arik's going to make a lot of money, whether it's with us or somebody else. He's playing really well and bringing a lot to the table.

So we're glad we have him, and we're going to work hard to try to keep him, but you can only sign so many."

These comments were from a bit earlier in the season. Maybe, since he ended up having such a great season, AA has gone from a "nice to have" to a "must have" in the FO's eyes. We'll see what happens though.

That's also must have for a lot of bottom feeding teams that have a lot more cap space than we do, unfortunately.
Share 49ersWebzone