LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Beautiful throw from Jimmy to James for TD. Dropped it in stride to James. Jimmy made that look easy.
JD, pushed all 4 breakdowns to my TV to watch. Terrific job. Ford's get-off is insane. This defense could be very special with all this talent at each level particularly because of Witherspoon and Moore's play. If those two can continue that pace coupled with all the rest of the talent surrounding them, this defense could be very very special.

FYI: On one of your clips (3rd clip in video 1?), Thomas was inside on a running play and did a great job.

BTW: Day was the starter at 2i all off season but it looks like Saleh went with Jones this game. In fact, did Day even play?

Edit: Found it...only 17 snaps. I wonder if that was because of the size/power of the OL or Saleh's game plan.

Offense
Total offensive snaps: 68
Quarterback – Jimmy Garoppolo 68
Running back – Kyle Juszczyk 32, Matt Breida 30, Raheem Mostert 20, Tevin Coleman 19
Wide receiver – Deebo Samuel 60, Marquise Goodwin 50, Richie James 26, Kendrick Bourne 17, Dante Pettis 2
Tight end – George Kittle 62, Ross Dwelley 12, Levine Toilolo 11
Offensive line – Mike McGlinchey 68, Weston Richburg 68, Laken Tomlinson 67, Joe Staley 66, Mike Person 66, Ben Garland 3, Justin Skule 2
Did not play – Nick Mullens

Defense
Total defensive snaps: 70
Defensive line – DeForest Buckner 53, Arik Armstead 47, Dee Ford 41, Nick Bosa 39, D.J. Jones 37, Ronald Blair 29, Sheldon Day 17, Solomon Thomas 12, Jullian Taylor 6
Linebacker – Fred Warner 70, Dre Greenlaw 56, Kwon Alexander 21, Mark Nzeocha 16
Defensive back –Jaquiski Tartt 70, Tarvarius Moore 70, Ahkello Witherspoon 70, Richard Sherman 70, K'Waun Williams 24, Emmanuel Moseley 22
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2019 at 6:43 AM ]
Johnnydel is a national treasure. You make shopping trips with the wife bearable.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I have a question about how you can tell what defense they're in when usually all they show is the line of scrimmage at the snap. Do you have access to other film? Occasionally they show a wide view that shows the whole field but that's not the norm. The camera tends to focus on the ball and we can't usually see what king of pre snap adjustments are being made. Just curious.

Think I can answer that since JD might be in a meeting. What he's showing is from nfl.com, on game rewind that can be purchased for like $100, there's "coaches film" that you can watch for the games. You can see the game from different angles. It's cool, I love it, I purchase game rewind every year and can watch all 49er games/coaches film as much as you want

Thanks. I couldn't figure out how you were seeing all this.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
are you talking about post #47? Winston didn't even know that play broken down defensively until he completed the play-action (back was turned). By then Ford was in his face.

No way he can make that throw without getting destroyed and throwing an inaccurate pass. Poor communication/coverage on Moore IMO (needs more reps) but even worse pass-blocking on TB's TE vs Ford.

Thankfully poor defense is often countered with poor offense. Defense and offense are so complicated now that it's not uncommon for someone to be out of position or miss an assignment on almost every play.
We just stopped a top Passing offense in the nfl. Rather easily. Their ol isn't that good however they may have the best 1-2 punch at wr and a kick ass te.
Originally posted by NCommand:
JD, pushed all 4 breakdowns to my TV to watch. Terrific job. Ford's get-off is insane. This defense could be very special with all this talent at each level particularly because of Witherspoon and Moore's play. If those two can continue that pace coupled with all the rest of the talent surrounding them, this defense could be very very special.

FYI: On one of your clips (3rd clip in video 1?), Thomas was inside on a running play and did a great job.

BTW: Day was the starter at 2i all off season but it looks like Saleh went with Jones this game. In fact, did Day even play?

Edit: Found it...only 17 snaps. I wonder if that was because of the size/power of the OL or Saleh's game plan.

Offense
Total offensive snaps: 68
Quarterback – Jimmy Garoppolo 68
Running back – Kyle Juszczyk 32, Matt Breida 30, Raheem Mostert 20, Tevin Coleman 19
Wide receiver – Deebo Samuel 60, Marquise Goodwin 50, Richie James 26, Kendrick Bourne 17, Dante Pettis 2
Tight end – George Kittle 62, Ross Dwelley 12, Levine Toilolo 11
Offensive line – Mike McGlinchey 68, Weston Richburg 68, Laken Tomlinson 67, Joe Staley 66, Mike Person 66, Ben Garland 3, Justin Skule 2
Did not play – Nick Mullens

Defense
Total defensive snaps: 70
Defensive line – DeForest Buckner 53, Arik Armstead 47, Dee Ford 41, Nick Bosa 39, D.J. Jones 37, Ronald Blair 29, Sheldon Day 17, Solomon Thomas 12, Jullian Taylor 6
Linebacker – Fred Warner 70, Dre Greenlaw 56, Kwon Alexander 21, Mark Nzeocha 16
Defensive back –Jaquiski Tartt 70, Tarvarius Moore 70, Ahkello Witherspoon 70, Richard Sherman 70, K'Waun Williams 24, Emmanuel Moseley 22

Here's some stuff we can take from the offensive snap counts. We had 155 WR snaps....that projects out to about 2500 WR snaps for a year which is in line with Kyle's MO.

Based on Juices snaps(assuming he didn't take any snaps as the sole HB), we were in 21 and 22 pers 47% of the time. Again this numbers is inline with Kyle's profile. It did feel like he ran more 22 that I'm used to seeing. I haven't watched all the snaps again to confirm this. That's what it felt like watching in game.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 11, 2019 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
We just stopped a top Passing offense in the nfl. Rather easily. Their ol isn't that good however they may have the best 1-2 punch at wr and a kick ass te.

I really can't wait til Sunday to confirm this game wasn't a fluke due to the weather and illness among the Bucs including Mike Evans.

As crazy as it is Dalton is the league leader in passing yards. If we can shut down their passing game similar to what we did with Tampa bay without the heat situation I'll feel much better about our D moving forward.

Of course playing Steelers and Cleveland weeks 3/5 won't be much of a breather considering those QBs are way better than Winston/Dalton. In fact the only game on our schedule without a dangerous QB(on paper at least) is the Washington game and funny enough Keenum put up the 4th most passing yards week 1.

Definitely need our pass rush to keep playing like they did in the 2nd half and have our secondary play that way as well. If we can get that defense out there consistently we're going to the playoffs.

Oops read that wrong
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 11, 2019 at 8:10 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:

I really can't wait til Sunday to confirm this game wasn't a fluke due to the weather and illness among the Bucs including Mike Evans.

As crazy as it is Dalton is the league leader in passing yards. If we can shut down their passing game similar to what we did with Tampa bay without the heat situation I'll feel much better about our D moving forward.

Of course playing Steelers and Cleveland weeks 3/5 won't be much of a breather considering those QBs are way better than Winston/Dalton. In fact the only game on our schedule without a dangerous QB(on paper at least) is the Washington game and funny enough Keenum put up the 4th most passing yards week 1.

Definitely need our pass rush to keep playing like they did in the 2nd half and have our secondary play that way as well. If we can get that defense out there consistently we're going to the playoffs.

The Seahawks secondary might be the worst in the NFL. I think we will do a much better job.

Does anyone know if Verrett will play?

• thl408
I quickly charted all the 49ers runs by RBs in this game, divided by quarters (TC = Coleman, MB = Breida, RM = Mostert). There are only 8 runs by Mostert below although the boxscore says he had 9. I did not count the play where James committed holding (touchdown called back) so that might be the difference between what's below and what's in the boxscore.

TC inside zone +1
TC Duo +5
TC Zone toss +12
TC FB lead dive -1
-----
MB toss sweep 0
MB inside zone -2
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +4
TC inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
TC outside zone +5
RM outside zone +4
-----------
MB inside zone +2
RM outside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
MB Counter +10
MB Counter +13
RM outside zone +8
RM inside zone misdirect +5
MB outside zone 0
----------
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
RM inside zone +18
MB inside zone 0
RM tackle lead toss +2

What's interesting is the number of inside zone concepts opposed to outside zone, for a team known for outside, and versus a defense with two good DTs (Vea/Suh). Why run into that with Person/Richburg, who are more known for mobility than drive blocking? A good coach doesn't do things for no reason so there has to be a reason why Kyle did this.
My guess, and I know it might be far fetched, is that it was so hot that he didn't want to run them. There are no rotations or subs on the OL so the 5 starters play the whole game. It was so hot that Kyle didn't want to run them ragged.
Enjoying this thread and YT film analysis, Liked and Subscribed.
Originally posted by thl408:
I quickly charted all the 49ers runs by RBs in this game, divided by quarters (TC = Coleman, MB = Breida, RM = Mostert). There are only 8 runs by Mostert below although the boxscore says he had 9. I did not count the play where James committed holding (touchdown called back) so that might be the difference between what's below and what's in the boxscore.

TC inside zone +1
TC Duo +5
TC Zone toss +12
TC FB lead dive -1
-----
MB toss sweep 0
MB inside zone -2
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +4
TC inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
TC outside zone +5
RM outside zone +4
-----------
MB inside zone +2
RM outside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
MB Counter +10
MB Counter +13
RM outside zone +8
MB outside zone 0
----------
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
RM inside zone +18
MB inside zone 0
RM tackle lead toss +2

What's interesting is the number of inside zone concepts opposed to outside zone, for a team known for outside, and versus a defense with two good DTs (Vea/Suh). Why run into that with Person/Richburg, who are more known for mobility than drive blocking? A good coach doesn't do things for no reason so there has to be a reason why Kyle did this.
My guess, and I know it might be far fetched, is that it was so hot that he didn't want to run them. There are no rotations or subs on the OL so the 5 starters play the whole game. It was so hot that Kyle didn't want to run them ragged.

I tend to agree with this assessment. Due to the temperatures and the fact it was week 1 and not everyone has their full game conditioning all the way up I'm sure.

TC inside zone +1
TC Duo +5
TC Zone toss +12
TC FB lead dive -1
-----
MB toss sweep 0
MB inside zone -2
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +4
TC inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
TC outside zone +5
RM outside zone +4
-----------
MB inside zone +2
RM outside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
MB Counter +10
MB Counter +13
RM outside zone +8
MB outside zone 0
----------
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
RM inside zone +18
MB inside zone 0
RM tackle lead toss +2

"Kyle's afraid to call outside zones now because mike silver says Jimmy's gonna get benched and he sucks"
-Grant Cohn

Seriously though your thoughts sound pretty plausible. I don't think it's gonna be a new trend in the offense as a whole and I would suspect we will see the more traditional OZ in the near future.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 11, 2019 at 11:27 AM ]

TC inside zone +1
TC Duo +5
TC Zone toss +12
TC FB lead dive -1
-----
MB toss sweep 0
MB inside zone -2
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +4
TC inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
TC outside zone +5
RM outside zone +4
-----------
MB inside zone +2
RM outside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
MB Counter +10
MB Counter +13
RM outside zone +8
MB outside zone 0
----------
MB inside zone +3
MB inside zone +1
MB inside zone 0
MB inside zone +1
RM inside zone 0
RM inside zone +18
MB inside zone 0
RM tackle lead toss +2

I think it had to do with TB's OLB's and Bowles' defense. Those OLB's were very good at containing the edge in that 3-4. I think they were trying to attack the ILB's of TB's defense as David had never played inside and the other guy was unproven. If they could get a seam in the inside they probably liked their matchup.
Share 49ersWebzone