LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
More safety rotation stuff. So Bruce Arians, 16 year NFL vet isn't dumb. He sees what the 49ers are doing and can counter it. This is the play TB converted on 3rd & 12.
49ers show two deep and will rotate to Cover3, very similar to the cutup earlier where Kwon dropped an INT. Red safety is the weakside Hook in this Cover3.

Red safety sees yellow coming and is ready to defend any deep Crossers (Over route).

Yellow WR stops and curls his route just before entering red's zone. Throw is on time.

+28 yards.

There wasn't a play where the Bucs came with an Over route and the 49ers stopped it by rotating down the safety so here's a play from 2017 that shows it. No doubt this situation will come up at some point this season.
#35 is weakside Hook

Let's gooooooooooooooo! LOVE this thread. Can't wait to dig in when I get home. Thanks as always JD and THL
  • thl408
This is the Bosa sack that jonny broke down from the trenches. What occurred downfield is worrisome and comforting at the same time.

Bucs attack with Switch Verticals. If you were with us last season, you'll recognize Switch Verticals as a route combination that the 49ers struggled with covering. It resulted in a number of chunk plays for the opposing offense as they used it to attack Cover3's sideline defender. Defending it takes communication and some pattern matching.
The idea is that yellow route occupies the sideline deep 1/3 defender so that red can attack the vacated area.

As Spoon sees a vertical route coming at him with another route behind it, he signals to Moore to take the first vertical. You can see Spoon's arm raised. At the same time, Dee Ford has destroyed the TE trying to pass block him.

The yellow WR knows he's going to be wide open. He's already run past Spoon, and Moore is totally flat footed. This is a blown coverage about to happen.

But the 49er's new 2019 pass rush covers for it an the blown coverage is never exploited. Only the guys in the meeting room know what's supposed to happen here, but my GUESS is that Moore covers the yellow route which allows Spoon to cover red. Thus accounting for both routes.
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the Bosa sack that jonny broke down from the trenches. What occurred downfield is worrisome and comforting at the same time.

Bucs attack with Switch Verticals. If you were with us last season, you'll recognize Switch Verticals as a route combination that the 49ers struggled with covering. It resulted in a number of chunk plays for the opposing offense as they used it to attack Cover3's sideline defender. Defending it takes communication and some pattern matching.
The idea is that yellow route occupies the sideline deep 1/3 defender so that red can attack the vacated area.

As Spoon sees a vertical route coming at him with another route behind it, he signals to Moore to take the first vertical. You can see Spoon's arm raised. At the same time, Dee Ford has destroyed the TE trying to pass block him.

The yellow WR knows he's going to be wide open. He's already run past Spoon, and Moore is totally flat footed. This is a blown coverage about to happen.

But the 49er's new 2019 pass rush covers for it an the blown coverage is never exploited. Only the guys in the meeting room know what's supposed to happen here, but my GUESS is that Moore covers the yellow route which allows Spoon to cover red. Thus accounting for both routes.

Ward would've picked that up.

Also now I can blame Dee ford for losing my fantasy this past week.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Sep 10, 2019 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I can analyze as well.

Defense good
Offense bad
Shanahan confused
Jimmy suck
Run game suck

I like to analyze posters.

JohnnyDel good
Thl good
... you can probably guess what's next
Nice to see recognition and communication from Spoon. Our secondary improving maybe
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Thank you! JD
Thank you! THL

I love how you guys dissect the cat and mouse game between the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator. Agree on the pass rush protecting against blown coverages. If a four man rush can create such pressure, it's going to be very hard for QB's to take advantage of the DB's that we have, which, +2 pick sixes and two more possible pick sixes, is looking to be much better than last years secondary.

I can't wait to see how they stand up against the Cincinnati Bungles.
Originally posted by braap49er:
What happened to Marvin? He still around?

He's very active on .net if that's the same Marvin
I think we played a bad QB. Better QB will hit the route before the one of the Safeties has a chance to move down.
What did TB do in the 4th qtr that got them chunks of yards on run plays. They were getting 6,12,16 yards. Our defense getting gashed. I really thought the tide of the game was turning to their favor, we we're gonna lose the game.

I thought maybe the defense being gassed but could be more what TB was doing.

love these posts!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
What did TB do in the 4th qtr that got them chunks of yards on run plays. They were getting 6,12,16 yards. Our defense getting gashed. I really thought the tide of the game was turning to their favor, we we're gonna lose the game.

They let us put Jukian Taylor in the game, lol
Originally posted by jonnydel:
What's up y'all! Weeeeeee Baaaaaaaack.

Here's something to kick start the thread and convo!

Love that first play. They had to put 7 guys on our 4 guys. That leaves the QB and just 3 eligible receivers. Really helps out our pass defense whether the pass rush gets home or not.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

This. I do believe backups were in most of that drive down the field
Share 49ersWebzone