There are 313 users in the forums

George Seifert > Bill Cowher / Jimmy Johnson???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

George Seifert > Bill Cowher / Jimmy Johnson???

I think Johnson deserves it. Cowher I disagree with.

Hell Mike Tomlin has the same resume as Cowher. Is he gonna get in?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
@CamInman

Cool moment on Fox with Jimmy getting HOF news

Because #49ers fans are curious:

Jimmy Johnson, 1989-99, Cowboys/Dolphins: 80-64, 9-4 in playoffs, 2 Super Bowls, 6 playoff berths

George Seifert, 1989-01, 49ers/Panthers: 114-62, 10-5 in playoffs, 2 Super Bowls, 7 playoff berths

Seifert inherited a SB winning team from Walsh. He won 2 SBs off that talent but made poor draft, personnel, and coaching decisions which led to the slow demise of the dynasty (if FA were as active then as it is now, it would have been a faster demise).

Johnson took a 1-15 franchise and drafted and coached it to 2 SBs himself and set it up for a third under Switzer. If Jerry didn't have such a big ego and fire Johnson, the Cowboys might have been a Patriots like dynasty.

So yeah, JJ deserves the HoF over Seifert. And I say that as a Cowboy hating Niner fan since 1982.
The fall of the 49ers happened under Mooch not Seifert. He played a role in actually extending the Dynasty by releasing the aging stars like Lott and Montana and replacing them successfully.

The fall of the 49ers happened under Mooch not Seifert. He played a role in actually extending the Dynasty by releasing the aging stars like Lott and Montana and replacing them successfully.

The demise started under Seifert. Look up the drafts. We continued to win because of the stockpile of great players (including Steve Young at QB) left behind by Walsh. By the time Mooch got there the depth was thin and the stars were old (Young, Rice, etc). We could have won 2 more SBs in the 1990s if not for the idiotic decision to let Ricky Waters go to Philly and then not replace him (Seifert thought Derek Loville would be as good) for 4 years until we landed Garrison Hearst in FA.
Like someone mentioned earlier he wasn't picking the players he just coached them up and developed them. That included Young who didn't become a full time starter until 2 years after Walsh left.

Mooch was on this team for 5 seasons, that's forever in football terms and drove this team into the ground.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

Tomlin has two SB wins so yes.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

Tomlin has two SB wins so yes.

And he coached Pittsburg.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-08-18-sp-5689-story.html%3f_amp=true

Interesting read for those that like 49er history.
2 super bowl wins, never finished below 10-6 at SF. If Carolina didn't happen, he would be in already
@CamInman

Jimmy Johnson, 1989-99, Cowboys/Dolphins: 80-64, 9-4 in playoffs, 2 Super Bowls, 6 playoff berths

George Seifert, 1989-01, 49ers/Panthers: 114-62, 10-5 in playoffs, 2 Super Bowls, 7 playoff berths

Just to play devils advocate, Seifert inherited a super bowl winning team, Johnson a 3-13 cowboys team who hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years.
[ Edited by Joshuar56 on Jan 12, 2020 at 8:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Joshuar56:
@CamInman

Just to play devils advocate, Seifert inherited a super bowl winning team, Johnson a 3-13 cowboys team who hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years.

i dont think anyone is saying Jimmy doesnt deserve to be in the HoF. Just George deserves to be in as well. honestly its a joke its taken this long for Jimmy to get in.
Seifert inherited a SB winning team from Walsh. He won 2 SBs off that talent but made poor draft, personnel, and coaching decisions which led to the slow demise of the dynasty (if FA were as active then as it is now, it would have been a faster demise).

Johnson took a 1-15 franchise and drafted and coached it to 2 SBs himself and set it up for a third under Switzer. If Jerry didn't have such a big ego and fire Johnson, the Cowboys might have been a Patriots like dynasty.

So yeah, JJ deserves the HoF over Seifert. And I say that as a Cowboy hating Niner fan since 1982.

I agree with much of what you said. Some of those drafts were down right killers. But even Jimmy didnt know the luxury the Walker trade would make. Let alone it needed Minny's ignorance to do it. And Haley fell in his lap too. I respect Jimmy I do. He is HOF worthy. I will always be jealous of the Cowboys O-line.

George inherited a team that just eeked out a SB. 89' team was near perfection and I never thought it was right that George isnt given enough credit for that. George was on the cusp of several more SB wins but all pro teams were beating us.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
This is why he is not in. Carolina: 8-8, 7-9, 1-15.

It gave the perception he won in SF because of the organization in place not his coaching.

Jimmy Johnson was average at best in Miami but at lest made the playoffs in 3 of 4 seasons.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 12, 2020 at 8:31 PM ]

Problem with the HOF is that there too many people who should be in and not enough people voted in every year, they need to change that imo.
Originally posted by Jcool:
This is why he is not in. Carolina: 8-8, 7-9, 1-15.

It gave the perception he won in SF because of the organization in place not his coaching.

I had a boss tell me that there are two types of people in the world: builders and maintainers. Walsh was a builder Seifert a maintainer. Walsh built the dynasty, Seifert did A better job maintaining the dynasty at a top level than Walsh did. Seifert failed in Carolina because he expected to pick up where he left off but it turned out he couldn't build.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
SEIFERT never got any credit with the 2 Super Bowl wins he had.. it really sucks..

Did you all know that he was the 1st coach to NOT be lifted??? SAD SAD SAD..

His first Super Bowl win, everyone felt that even w/o the HC, our 49ers would have won that year.. We just played so darn well that year we repeated..

Then, the 1994 team, everyone view that Super Bowl as a PURCHASE w/all the free agents we signed.

I know Jimmy was a very fine coach, but I don't think he falls under GREAT just after 2 SB wins... Also, if he and Cowher is a HOF coach, then TOM COUGHLIN should also make it..
It's a popularity contest. George has lived an obscure life since he left.
Jimmy Johnson getting in with only 4 good seasons is very weird. He had 4 career 10+ win seasons in just 9 total seasons coaching. This goes against everything they normally prioritize.
Share 49ersWebzone