LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Your favorite Niner "career arc"?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kind of an obscure question at first blush, but I think it's a cool chance to give some less-famous people and stories some love. What I mean by "career arc" is the path that person's football career took. It could be an unheralded guy who became a dependable starter, someone who had lots of ups and downs, someone who left the Niners and then came back, or any other cool story about someone related to the team.

Perhaps an obvious pick, but my choice is Alex Smith. I had so much hope when we drafted him, even though I wanted Rodgers personally. I was devastated by the time 2008 came and went. Then, he sticks around, takes over at halftime of the 2009 Texans game, and really just rose from the ashes. There was the "We want Carr" chant, and his awesome response by tossing two TDs immediately thereafter. He stuck around for Harbaugh and really began to show his full potential. The playoff TD pass to beat the Saints (and really that whole game) was the full phoenix taking flight, and the journey seemed complete. Then, after playing even better in 2012, he still managed to handle the benching (which I agreed with and still do) like a complete pro and did great things for KC and then briefly for Washington. Dude just showed top-notch character, thick skin, and became a real baller at the end.

I have some other candidates too, but I'm curious to hear about others' choices. Have at it.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Dec 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM ]
I loved Alex's career with us but hate how when he was playing his best for us he lost his starting job because of the new NFL concussion rules.
Garrison Hearst
I think mine is probably Vernon Davis, looked like a huge bust, and had huge issues catching over his shoulder.

Then became a beast both in the pass and run game and capped it off with the Catch III.

Kittle will undoubtedly in my mind become our best ever TE, but Vernon was up there.
Maybe kind of a surprise given that he is a legend.... Steve Young
Originally posted by 1251alex:
I loved Alex's career with us but hate how when he was playing his best for us he lost his starting job because of the new NFL concussion rules.

Confession- I hope if we lose Nick Mullens as a FA after next season, that Alex Smith wins a Super Bowl with us as a backup.

As for my favorite- Frank Gore. I watched the guy in HS. Amazing back. Watched him at the U. He had first overall pick talent. He was absolutely phenomenal before the injury and even after the first injury. He looked "solid" in 2004 and I figured he would have a good career as a backup in the NFL when he entered the draft. He ends up getting drafted to my team and has gone down as one of the all-time great backs in history and is the greatest 49ers RB of all time, which is really saying something because we have some legitimate guys at that position, going all the way back to Joe Perry.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Garrison Hearst

Oh man, really good one -- had completely forgotten about that saga.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Confession- I hope if we lose Nick Mullens as a FA after next season, that Alex Smith wins a Super Bowl with us as a backup.

As for my favorite- Frank Gore. I watched the guy in HS. Amazing back. Watched him at the U. He had first overall pick talent. He was absolutely phenomenal before the injury and even after the first injury. He looked "solid" in 2004 and I figured he would have a good career as a backup in the NFL when he entered the draft. He ends up getting drafted to my team and has gone down as one of the all-time great backs in history and is the greatest 49ers RB of all time, which is really saying something because we have some legitimate guys at that position, going all the way back to Joe Perry.

Would love to see Alex come back, as most would, but the leg and system just may not be a fit at the end of the day. Frank is a really good pick when considering the college career and injuries.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Garrison Hearst

+1
Originally posted by kelson49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Would love to see Alex come back, as most would, but the leg and system just may not be a fit at the end of the day. Frank is a really good pick when considering the college career and injuries.

The Alex Smith thing is some pure Cinderella stuff. That he can come all the way back, be a good backup for us and maybe even make a big play in a big game, like Bernie Kosar in the 1993 NFCCG (ugh). Then he could get to be on the America's Game for us. BOY would he have a story to tell.

Garrison Hearst, still one of my favourite niners of all time.
Bryant Young, the original beast that wore 97
On this team, Raheem Mostert. From 4th string RB to declared starter, and a guy who just wants to do a little community service and be there for his family on his day off. Great positive presence in the locker room it seems.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Bryant Young, the original beast that wore 97

Really good one. I wanted us to just go to the playoffs in 2007 just so he could experience that one more time.
Share 49ersWebzone