LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Originally posted by genus49:
You think Roman's playbook with the Ravens is the same thing as it was with us with just 49ers crossed out and Ravens written on top of it?

no.
  • thl408
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
1) Everything roman did is property of san frn 49ers. SO it's on media somewhewre in the building.

2) Seattle, defensive qc coach

3) The title of this thread is why didnt we do better. You are the one inferring we played like s*t. On the highlight plays, we didn't look very good.

4) Hopefully the beginning of the end for them was last week.

Come on man..."on the highlight plays we didn't look very good. "

That's like watching Blaine Gabbert highlights and wondering why he isn't a starter.
Originally posted by thl408:
1) Everything roman did is property of san frn 49ers. SO it's on media somewhewre in the building.

3) The title of this thread is why didnt we do better. You are the one inferring we played like s*t. On the highlight plays, we didn't look very good.

Come on man..."on the highlight plays we didn't look very good. "

That's like watching Blaine Gabbert highlights and wondering why he isn't a starter.

But those 2 minutes were so magical!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

1.It's not some secret that's my point...you can find film all over the place. There's no leg up for SF because he was our OC 5 yrs ago on a totally different staff.

2. HA oh yeah he was total scheming up plays vs Roman in Seattle as a QC coach more like getting guys coffee and cutting film for the guys that were actually game planning.

3. key word highlight plays. I mean you expect them to show SF stuffing them on 4th downs or limited them to 4.6 yards of offense? stop.

film is one thing scheme is another. only 2 teams in the nfl besides ravens have diagrams of what roman wanted to do for every play. So that's a start anyway.
film is one thing scheme is another. only 2 teams in the nfl besides ravens have diagrams of what roman wanted to do for every play. So that's a start anyway.

What are you talking about...diagrams lol.

Now you're reaching for something that's not there.

That's like saying the broncos should have a leg up on the pats because josh McDaniels was the HC like 10 yrs ago
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
I think if we meet again...Hit DJ like he has the ball every single time and make him question his decision. We will have to trust the other 10 defensive players to tackle the RB or cover WR.
[ Edited by titan on Dec 2, 2019 at 11:58 AM ]
Honestly thought we did fine. Ultimately you have to also just give Lamar Jackson credit. The kid is a baller and playmaker. We did not get dominated at all and the whole game really came down to 2-3 moments. That's it. This game at home in slightly better weather and I think we win nine out of 10 times.
First of all, nobody's going to shut down Lamar...if you look at who they've beaten, it's every NFC West team & NE (among others). Secondly, the Ravens have an excellent OL. They protect Lamar and open holes for him & Ingram. Thirdly, the difference in the final score is because Gould missed his long kick, Turner didn't. The Niners showed they can definitely play with the Ravens and arguably should've beaten them. No other team in the NFC came close to beating them, including Seattle. We did. So, there's your answers.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Holding a top offense to only 4.6 yards per play is impressive and should be a recipe for success. Now, most of the success can probably be attributed to the weather conditions, but the defense played pretty well overall.

bah always gotta throw some negative comment in there.

You're the one saying the weather would help Baltimore all week NOW it was a reason we only kept them to 4.6 yards

Where did I say that the weather would help Baltimore? It's not a negative to say that the weather contributed to the low YPP. Both teams were affected.

To be clear, I was impressed by our defense's performance. I just think it's difficult to say how much of it was dependent on the weather's impact.
[ Edited by KittleSkittle on Dec 2, 2019 at 12:31 PM ]
On the read option, for some reason we kept crashing down on the RB.

It's like we forgot L. Jackson was going to run the ball at times.

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Jesus.

East coast game. In the rain. With injuries. Against the hottest team in the NFL. Held them to 3 points in the 2nd half. Our offense scores three points in the second half, and you complain about the defense???

Please lock this.

Sorry for holding our d to a higher standard. Were better than what we showed. Want to get peoples opinions on why.

I know, personally teams shouldn't be gaining more than 100 yards a game, somebody better get on their asses. That's the standard I expect!
We held them to 283 total yards. This was a team that had back to back 40+ point games and has been running over teams. Nobody has had much success stopping these guys so I don't know what you expected. We held them to 20 points which is the fewest in any game this season including their 2 losses. We lost only because we didn't get that first down on the last drive. If we had, we could have eaten the clock and maybe scored a TD or a FG. If we missed the kick we go to OT. We outplayed the hottest team on their home field in weather that they are built for and beat the spread. I'd say we played pretty good.
Most thought it would either be a blowout or we were going to have to win in a shootout. Neither one of those things happened. The defense played well enough to give our offense a chance to win it. The offense did not play a bad game but they just didn't do enough to win it.
I think they did a reasonably good job.

They couldn't completely shut down the "Run-Option" by Lamar - nobody really has.

They were also on the field more than normal.

BUT - IMO, we lost because we couldn't put enough points on the board.

They did NOT overwhelm us or run up some incredible score like they did to Rams & others.

Our D kept it close and our Offense didn't close the deal.
Stopping the league's best offense was highly unlikely to begin with. I guess having unrealistic expectations really does always lead to disappointment.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 2, 2019 at 12:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone