LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Race for the nfc west and the #1 seed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
What happens if we lose to LA but beat Seattle? Something tells me if we lose next week it'll come down to some bs tiebreaker even if we beat Seattle the following week.

It depends if Seattle also loses. If we lose and SEA also loses, we'll be tied and head into the last game, with the winner earning the #1 seed. I'm not sure if the Packers can earn the #1 seed if they win out.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 15, 2019 at 10:46 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Again, here's how it breaks down. If SF loses to the Rams, Seahawks beat the Cardinals, but 49ers beat Seattle.

Teams would be tied at 12-4. Therefore, by tie breakers:

#1 - Head to Head. Both teams would be 1-1 against each other.

Move to:

#2 - Division record. Both teams would be 4-2.

Move to:

#3 - Record in common games. Both teams would be 10-4.

Move to:

#4 - NFC record. Both teams would be 9-3.

Move to:

#5 - Strength of Schedule. This is determined by win% of teams beat by each team. Whoever beat the group of teams with the highest win % gets this tie breaker.

In this scenario each team would have 9 wins against the same teams: Cardinals x2, Rams, Seahawks/49ers, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Bucs, Panthers. Since these are the exact same win % for each team they are essentially thrown out.

Teams Niners beat that Seahawks didn't in this scenario: Redskins, Saints, Packers. Currently a combined record of 24-17, with 7 games left between them.

Teams Seahawks beat that Niners didn't in this scenario: Falcons, Eagles, Vikings. Currently a combined 22-20 with 6 games left between them.

Therefore, in this specific scenario where both teams finish 12-4 after SF loses to Rams, SEA beats Cardinals, and SF beats SEA the division winner will come down to which group of teams of WAS-NO-GB (SF) vs. ATL-PHI-MIN (SEA) has the higher combined winning %.

Thank you, sir!
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm not sure if the Packers can earn the #1 seed if they win out.

Sure they can:

Packers finish 13-3.

Saints and 49ers/Seahawks each win division at 12-4.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm not sure if the Packers can earn the #1 seed if they win out.

Sure they can:

Packers finish 13-3.

Saints and 49ers/Seahawks each win division at 12-4.

Yeah, Pack can earn #1 seed if, us and SEA lose another game and the Pack win out.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 15, 2019 at 10:53 PM ]
Again, here's how it breaks down. If SF loses to the Rams, Seahawks beat the Cardinals, but 49ers beat Seattle.

Move to:

Move to:

Move to:

Move to:

#5 - Strength of Schedule. This is determined by win% of teams beat by each team. Whoever beat the group of teams with the highest win % gets this tie breaker.

In this scenario each team would have 9 wins against the same teams: Cardinals x2, Rams, Seahawks/49ers, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Bucs, Panthers. Since these are the exact same win % for each team they are essentially thrown out.

Teams Niners beat that Seahawks didn't in this scenario: Redskins, Saints, Packers. Currently a combined record of 24-17, with 7 games left between them.

Teams Seahawks beat that Niners didn't in this scenario: Falcons, Eagles, Vikings. Currently a combined 22-20 with 6 games left between them.

Therefore, in this specific scenario where both teams finish 12-4 after SF loses to Rams, SEA beats Cardinals, and SF beats SEA the division winner will come down to which group of teams of WAS-NO-GB (SF) vs. ATL-PHI-MIN (SEA) has the higher combined winning %.

Thank you, sir!

By the looks of it, as long as we beat Seattle we should lock up the division. Would then need some help with a Saints or GB loss in the final two weeks. Strength of schedule % about to be 25-17 (49ers), 22-20(Seattle), with two weeks left to play after NO beats Indy tomorrow.
By the looks of it, as long as we beat Seattle we should lock up the division. Would then need some help with a Saints or GB loss in the final two weeks. Strength of schedule % about to be 25-17 (49ers), 22-20(Seattle), with two weeks left to play after NO beats Indy tomorrow.

If Niners beat Rams it makes the SEA game straight up winner-take-all*, whether Seattle beats or loses to Cardinals.

* - A tie for SF vs. SEA could bring tie breakers back into it, but that is unlikely, and it would be the same tie breaker I listed out above.

Move to:

Move to:

Move to:

Move to:

Thank you, sir!

my head is still spinning from reading all of this
I shouldn't be disappointed considering if you told me in August, we'd clinch a playoff spot before Christmas I'd have been stoked. But, I'm going to be a little disappointed if we don't win the division.
What a mess. I guess they just have to win out and hope all the tie breakers work themselves out. It didn't have to be like this. But it is now. So we just have to go with it and next game up. They have to regroup and move forward.
  • Kyzen
LMFAO........just our luck.........has there ever ben 4 teams that were 11-3 this late in the season 2 in the same Division? Of course during a magical year, we end up in that scenario

I think one thing this showed me is that I dont know if the 49ers actually have a home field advantage also. I think the 49ers just need the extra week to get healthy more than the actual home games
Just win out. Tiebreakers or not, beating Seattle in their crappy stadium will certainly dent their ego.
We can go through all the tie breakler scenarios but here's the bottom line and you can take this to the bank. If the 49ers don't win the last 2 games of the regular season you can kiss the super bowl goodbye. This team is on fumes. The defensive line yesterday looked like they were moving in quick sand. We're not going 3 straight weeks on the road and beating Dallas/Philly,Seattle and New Orleans. This team is hurt and tired. Could've used this coming week to really rest some players but Shanahan screwed that up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Just win out. Tiebreakers or not, beating Seattle in their crappy stadium will certainly dent their ego.

Just win out, baby!
Shanahan can win games with his scheming, but in this case (Atlanta) he heavily contributed to losing one because of it. Garoppolo had no time and wasn't sharp to begin with, and almost exclusively throwing to our most obvious target only helps the other team--ignoring this because of his own hubris is a big reason why we lost. At the same time, I am pretty sure Saleh is off most of those coaching "short lists" he was supposedly on after the last few weeks; He hasn't shown much of anything in terms of innovation or ability to adjust. I honestly think he has looked good because we upgraded personnel to the point where we could execute hi scheme to begin with. Once people figured out how to attack it he has had zero ability to make adjustments, and he ignores obvious weaknesses like the fact that Julio Jones was killing us by himself. How you don't rotate extra coverage his way is utterly baffling. He is by far their best player--Saleh almost deserves to be fired for that alone. I think this loss also exposes the weakness of the wide 9 when your interior linemen are getting manhandled like ours was--we obviously sorely miss DJ in the middle, and the only pressure we got was from Bosa out wide (who still had to fight his way back inside to make a play because Ryan ALWAYS had a place to step up into to avoid him). The next two games are must win now, and based on this game and the defense's struggles I am not too sure we will win them. Wild card at 11-5 is still a big improvement from last year and I will take it, but considering how things have unfolded with injuries and coaching missteps I can't help but feel a little bit let down. Lets hope Shanny and Saleh can figure stuff out and that the players act like pros and come out prepared--no dropped balls, dropped INTs, missed tackles, broken coverages, turnovers or stupid penalties.....
Share 49ersWebzone