There are 270 users in the forums

Race for the nfc west and the #1 seed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1 game at a time folks.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I think the thread should be the race for #1 seed. The only teams that I can see that can beat the 49ers this year is Seattle (in seattle) and New Orleans.

Pretty wild that in 2011 we raced the Saints to a tie record at 13-3 and won out because of tie breaker (I believe either better NFC record or common opponents).

This year we battle them straight up, and I believe straight up record trumps conference record for seeding.

Gonna have to root against the Saints......woulda been nice if the mini Wilson coulda pulled it off...….

Saints have 4 straight division games before facing the 49ers. Not sure they could win ALL of them....

I think the key is to smash the Saints, even if it meant maybe dropping a game to the Packers or Ravens (the book end games)……..of course to smash all 3 would be insane, even if let's say we lost to the Cards or Falcons....would def. be worth it.

If we get that head to head game against NO, #1 seed.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Brees was far better 4 or 5 years ago. Him and Payton have found ways to lose big games recently. I have 0 faith in them to close the game out even if they are winning.

The 49ers pass rush this year is the best of any team in several seasons. Rookie qbs and veteran pocket passers, not named brady, are going to be eaten alive. The defense is also better every week.

It will be highly difficult for Brees to function because of Buckner and push up the middle while the edge comes around.

It's the mobile qbs that are far bigger threats.

I agree, we're well past the era of the daunting af Brees/Payton combo. The 2009 team was better overall, but the 2011 team we faced was the best offensive iteration in the history of Louisiana. Even on our turf, it was an all out war to beat them, and Breesus still threw for 460.

Nowadays they're only a threat a best in regular season. They did not look great beating the Eagles in the playoffs last year and whether or not they deserved to beat Rams, they still allowed that gap to close big time.

They'll certainly GET UP for the 49ers, I can imagine. That's what makes it hard to predict that we'll take them down relative to other teams that faced them competitively at their place this year (Texans, Cowboys).
I just think, aside from take it one game at a time, that the turf at the Dome makes us just as fast as the Saints. All things being equal, a playoff game there won't be a disadvantage
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
I just think, aside from take it one game at a time, that the turf at the Dome makes us just as fast as the Saints. All things being equal, a playoff game there won't be a disadvantage

Man I wish we could practice in on turf the whole week leading up the saints game.
Originally posted by danarez49:
Why do you guys think we can't beat the saints!!! It's just another team in the way from the Super Bowl!!! Niners have no weakness!!! And a defense to keep any qb in check!!!

^^this
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CO9er4life:
Originally posted by danarez49:
Why do you guys think we can't beat the saints!!! It's just another team in the way from the Super Bowl!!! Niners have no weakness!!! And a defense to keep any qb in check!!!

^^this

No one is saying we can't beat them. They're saying it'll be the toughest game.
Its cliche, but we control our own destiny.
We have a much harder 2nd half schedule than packers, saints who were competing against for first round bye...

Probably gonna have to beat packers and saints
Whoever wins the NFC WEST wins the SB this season. Toughest division in the league by a mile, should prepared us for the post season run. Here are the records by division midway through the season which I find interesting.

NFC:
North: 19-10-1
South: 14-16-0
East: 11-20-0
West: 21-9-1

AFC:
North: 10-19-0
South: 18-13-0
East: 14-15-0 (Pats sorry arse division, gifted 4 automatic wins every year through Miami & NYJ)
West: 13-18-0

Doesn't say much but it shows the level of competition and the quality of teams in all divisions.

We will go as far as we make ourselves go. Unless fudger Goodell wants to make up for them whining who crap fans.... like we freaken had obvious calls against us, but we don't go making a whole new rule to justify it.
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
i mean, all we can say is, keep doing what we've been doing and the #1 seed is a lock.

if we sweep the rest of our divisional games, that's what, 12 wins total on the season at least?

Yes with 5 remaining divisional games, it would put us at 12 wins.

there you go. the niners literally control their own destiny
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
1 seed will be paramount in NFC although we have been Road Warriors this year. Playoffs are something different

Niner fans might have a hard time invading the Superdome or Lambeau field come playoff time
Today was a good day...f**k the 🧀heads+🦓

Beat the toots tomorrow to complete the weekend
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Today was a good day...f**k the 🧀heads+🦓

Beat the toots tomorrow to complete the weekend

mondays are included in your weekend, ya lucky baahstuud
Share 49ersWebzone